Australian/USA Citizen

Old May 12th 2012, 12:49 am
Just Joined

Jishabrown is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Australian/USA Citizen

My case is a little a typical.

I am a Sri Lankan national by birth. I came to Australia for my Studies, and now am going to be Australian Citizen in couple of months.

Incidentally, I have received multiple job offers from USA. My siblings are in US and I am interested in going to US for work and will apply for US Green Card and may also apply US Citizenship.

My question is:
1. After becoming Australian Citizen, can I leave Australia and move to US?
2. Given that I would be a "Naturalized" Australian Citizen, would applying for US citizenship revoke my Australian citizenship?
3. Can I be Naturalized citizen of both Australia and US?

I know, Both Australia and US allow Dual Citizenships, but am not sure if the rules change for "Naturalized" citizens.

Thanks for your time.
Jisha Brown
Old May 12th 2012, 1:17 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Australian/USA Citizen

Originally Posted by Jishabrown

I am a Sri Lankan national by birth. I came to Australia for my Studies, and now am going to be Australian Citizen in couple of months.

Incidentally, I have received multiple job offers from USA. My siblings are in US and I am interested in going to US for work and will apply for US Green Card and may also apply US Citizenship.

My question is:
2. Given that I would be a "Naturalized" Australian Citizen, would applying for US citizenship revoke my Australian citizenship?

I know, Both Australia and US allow Dual Citizenships, but am not sure if the rules change for "Naturalized" citizens.

Thanks for your time.
Jisha Brown
1. Yes. Once a Citizen you can do and go where you like and will remain a Citizen of Aus.
2. Being as you don't even have a visa for the US yet and as the route to USC is incredibly longwinded and may never happen, I honestly wouldn't even be thinking about it at the moment.
3. You need to be reading the relevant Wiki pages for the best answer. There's this link in there.
Old May 12th 2012, 2:17 am
Forum Regular

H2fusion is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jishabrown

My question is:

Thanks for your time.
Jisha Brown

Why worry about becoming US citizen in which you have not secured any US work permit yet and/or even get a green card. Do you know for a fact that after getting a green card, you have to wait 5 years before you are qualified for US citizenship? You are preparing way advanced mate. If I were you, try to get the US work permit visa first then worry how to get the green card before thinking about US citizenship. Cheers!
Old May 12th 2012, 9:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Tramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to behold

I always thought about the US that you were either a US citizen or not. No dual citizenships. Maybe just a rumour though..
Old May 12th 2012, 10:05 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tramps_mate
I always thought about the US that you were either a US citizen or not. No dual citizenships. Maybe just a rumour though..
No they accept dual nationalites for some countries.
Old May 12th 2012, 4:51 pm
Forum Regular

Sol2Oz has a brilliant futureSol2Oz has a brilliant futureSol2Oz has a brilliant futureSol2Oz has a brilliant futureSol2Oz has a brilliant futureSol2Oz has a brilliant future

In order to become neutralized (lol neutralized), you have to be a green card holder for 5 years or married to a US citizen for 3 years. But even then, the wait is long - I hear they are worse than the DIAC when it comes to getting a CO
Old May 13th 2012, 11:24 am
Emeritus Senior Minister

Paul2O has much to be proud ofPaul2O has much to be proud ofPaul2O has much to be proud ofPaul2O has much to be proud ofPaul2O has much to be proud ofPaul2O has much to be proud ofPaul2O has much to be proud ofPaul2O has much to be proud ofPaul2O has much to be proud ofPaul2O has much to be proud ofPaul2O has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
I think there is a forummer who is an Irish, British, and American citizen.
Old May 13th 2012, 11:51 am
Crazy Cat Lady

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Actually accept dual nationalities for all other countries. Just read the Wiki I linked to earlier.