Australian Police Checks - Help needed

Old Jun 17th 2006, 3:07 am
C&R
Always the last to leave.

C&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond repute
Default Australian Police Checks - Help needed

We are under the impression we will need to complete Form 1101, as we have had a working holiday visa [left oz two days before the 12 month mark] and also been to Oz a few times since. What info will the Oz police check actually bring up? Is it only convictions? what about if you got a parking ticket, would they bring that up? [we did pay it!]..If you had made a complaint to the police about being beaten up by security guards at a concert [this is another story!], are they likely to have records of that too?

On the Form 1101, it asks for the visa subclass, in our case, do we write down the visa class we are applying for now, or is it linked to the old visa number you had last time you were in Oz?

The form requests an international postal reply coupon - what is this exactly? We are not in the UK, and I have not heard of this being available in the country we are in now, what alternative can be sent to satisfy this requirement? Is it possible to provide the police with a stamped address envelope with my sponsors Australian address on it, and then have the sponsor send the results to us where we live now?

And lastly - it asks to include a photocopy of a document which has a photograph of you on it - does this need to be a certified copy?

Many many thanks as always for any help you can give us.....
Old Jun 17th 2006, 1:30 pm
Forum Regular

KatieLilly has a reputation beyond reputeKatieLilly has a reputation beyond reputeKatieLilly has a reputation beyond reputeKatieLilly has a reputation beyond reputeKatieLilly has a reputation beyond reputeKatieLilly has a reputation beyond reputeKatieLilly has a reputation beyond reputeKatieLilly has a reputation beyond reputeKatieLilly has a reputation beyond reputeKatieLilly has a reputation beyond reputeKatieLilly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Australian Police Checks - Help needed

Originally Posted by Claire&Richard
We are under the impression we will need to complete Form 1101, as we have had a working holiday visa [left oz two days before the 12 month mark] and also been to Oz a few times since. What info will the Oz police check actually bring up? Is it only convictions? what about if you got a parking ticket, would they bring that up? [we did pay it!]..If you had made a complaint to the police about being beaten up by security guards at a concert [this is another story!], are they likely to have records of that too?

On the Form 1101, it asks for the visa subclass, in our case, do we write down the visa class we are applying for now, or is it linked to the old visa number you had last time you were in Oz?

The form requests an international postal reply coupon - what is this exactly? We are not in the UK, and I have not heard of this being available in the country we are in now, what alternative can be sent to satisfy this requirement? Is it possible to provide the police with a stamped address envelope with my sponsors Australian address on it, and then have the sponsor send the results to us where we live now?

And lastly - it asks to include a photocopy of a document which has a photograph of you on it - does this need to be a certified copy?

Many many thanks as always for any help you can give us.....

Hi guys,

have done our Australian Police Check recently. Not sure if you have to do one because you weren't there a full 12 months in a row, but it might depend on the visa class you apply for.

In any case, they might ask for it anyway.

On form 1101 we have written down the visa class we apply for now.

The international postal reply coupon should be available in most European countries at a post office. If you ask for it there, they will know. Have one in front of me I bought in Germany (cost EUR 1,80).

We have sent the application by email (including a scan of each passport, not certified) to our agency in Australia, as the AFP accepts copies, and they have forwarded it to the AFP.

The biggest pain was for us, that the APF does not accept credit card payment, and we could not send money in Australian Dollars from Germany.

Good luck !

Katie
Old Jun 18th 2006, 4:30 am
C&R

C&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KatieLilly
Hi guys,

have done our Australian Police Check recently. Not sure if you have to do one because you weren't there a full 12 months in a row, but it might depend on the visa class you apply for.

In any case, they might ask for it anyway.

On form 1101 we have written down the visa class we apply for now.

The international postal reply coupon should be available in most European countries at a post office. If you ask for it there, they will know. Have one in front of me I bought in Germany (cost EUR 1,80).

We have sent the application by email (including a scan of each passport, not certified) to our agency in Australia, as the AFP accepts copies, and they have forwarded it to the AFP.

The biggest pain was for us, that the APF does not accept credit card payment, and we could not send money in Australian Dollars from Germany.

Good luck !

Katie
Thanks so much for your reply Katie. We are going to send off for the Aus police check just in case they do ask for it, I have personally spent a few months each year in Oz since having the work visa.

In the country we live in, I doubt they have international postal coupons, and to be honest, I don't even know how to ask for or try to describe it, so does anyone know if an Australian return address would be ok to use for the police checks, with an explanation of why..?

I have a UK cheque book, would it be ok to use that to pay for the fee, and just convert the fee of $36 into pounds?

Thanks again for help anyone can give...
Old Jun 18th 2006, 4:32 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks so much for your reply Katie. We are going to send off for the Aus police check just in case they do ask for it, I have personally spent a few months each year in Oz since having the work visa.

In the country we live in, I doubt they have international postal coupons, and to be honest, I don't even know how to ask for or try to describe it, so does anyone know if an Australian return address would be ok to use for the police checks, with an explanation of why..?

I have a UK cheque book, would it be ok to use that to pay for the fee, and just convert the fee of $36 into pounds?

Don't think they wil take UK cheques, owing to having to pay a conversion fee. Do you know anyone in Aus that could get you a money order from the Post Office here?
Old Jun 18th 2006, 4:36 am
C&R

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Don't think they wil take UK cheques, owing to having to pay a conversion fee. Do you know anyone in Aus that could get you a money order from the Post Office here?
Thats a good idea Pollyanna, I did not think of that....I could send the police checks to my sponsor who could add the money order to it, and they could send the police checks off to the police for us. Do you know if it would be ok to use my sponsors address for the police to return the results?
Old Jun 18th 2006, 5:02 am
C&R

Also - does anyone know how long the Oz police checks usually take?
Old Jun 18th 2006, 5:10 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Also - does anyone know how long the Oz police checks usually take?
Mine took about 3 weeks I think, that was over Christmas too.
I also think the due to privacy laws it has to go back to the applicant. Maybe you could ask the AFP to send it ti your sponsor, but I know in the UK Data Protection rules don't allow that.
Old Jun 18th 2006, 9:38 am
BE Enthusiast

mvt550 is a glorious beacon of lightmvt550 is a glorious beacon of lightmvt550 is a glorious beacon of lightmvt550 is a glorious beacon of lightmvt550 is a glorious beacon of lightmvt550 is a glorious beacon of lightmvt550 is a glorious beacon of lightmvt550 is a glorious beacon of lightmvt550 is a glorious beacon of lightmvt550 is a glorious beacon of lightmvt550 is a glorious beacon of light

Hi again!

No you definitely can't use a UK chequebook but if you can't get someone in Aus to write a cheque for you, you could get an international bank draft (drawn on an Australian bank) from a bank wherever you are in the world (even where you are from what I remember from your previous profile). There will of course be a cost for this but that may be your only option if you can't persuade someone in Aus to help!

With regards to having the police check returned to you - can you get someone in Aus to send you a suitable international Aussie stamp so you can just send a stamped addressed envelope? If you're really that stuck I'll even stump up the $1.80 and send you a stamp!!

Good luck

Madhu
Old Jun 18th 2006, 11:27 pm
C&R

Originally Posted by mvt550
Hi again!

No you definitely can't use a UK chequebook but if you can't get someone in Aus to write a cheque for you, you could get an international bank draft (drawn on an Australian bank) from a bank wherever you are in the world (even where you are from what I remember from your previous profile). There will of course be a cost for this but that may be your only option if you can't persuade someone in Aus to help!

With regards to having the police check returned to you - can you get someone in Aus to send you a suitable international Aussie stamp so you can just send a stamped addressed envelope? If you're really that stuck I'll even stump up the $1.80 and send you a stamp!!

Good luck

Madhu
Thanks Madhu and Pollyanna! Madhu - I think I will get my sponsor to organise the stamped address envelope - but thanks for offering to help : )

If I get my sponsor to write my name and his address on a return stamped addressed envelope - will this abide by the data protection act? Also - as I am applying for a visa off shore, does this affect the police checks? Do they accept police check applications with a return Australian address on them, or would they expect to see an overseas address?

So many questions...sigh : )
Old Jun 19th 2006, 12:32 am
Home and Happy

Thanks Madhu and Pollyanna! Madhu - I think I will get my sponsor to organise the stamped address envelope - but thanks for offering to help : )

If I get my sponsor to write my name and his address on a return stamped addressed envelope - will this abide by the data protection act? Also - as I am applying for a visa off shore, does this affect the police checks? Do they accept police check applications with a return Australian address on them, or would they expect to see an overseas address?

So many questions...sigh : )
http://www.afp.gov.au/business/criminal_history_check

If you go to the above link there is a contact number and email for the AFP. I suggest emailing/calling them and see what they suggest. You can't be the first person in this situation Let us know the answer!
Old Jun 19th 2006, 8:06 am
C&R

Originally Posted by Pollyana
http://www.afp.gov.au/business/criminal_history_check

If you go to the above link there is a contact number and email for the AFP. I suggest emailing/calling them and see what they suggest. You can't be the first person in this situation Let us know the answer!
Thanks alot Pollyanna! I would never have thought of contacting the police. I have emailed them, so shall indeed let you know their response!
Old Sep 13th 2006, 6:29 pm
Just Joined

anaogg is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Claire,

I'm having the same problem you had. In the country that I'm living I you couldn't get an international bank draft or money order to pay for the AFP fee. Did you call/ email AFP? How did you pay it? Anyone else in the same situation?

Cheers, Ana
Old Sep 13th 2006, 10:44 pm
Just Joined

alice is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by anaogg
Hi Claire,

I'm having the same problem you had. In the country that I'm living I you couldn't get an international bank draft or money order to pay for the AFP fee. Did you call/ email AFP? How did you pay it? Anyone else in the same situation?

Cheers, Ana
Hi
I've just received my AFP fingerprint result yesterday. I bought an International Bank Draft from a local bank. In the US there is no Int'l. Reply Post stamp available so I've sent my application in a sealed envelope to my friend in Sydney, then she bought an International Prepaid Registered Envelope that costA$11.00 (large) then attached it on my sealed envelope and send it by courier to AFP. It took 7 days to process and only 3 days to receive the mail.
Old Sep 14th 2006, 12:25 am
C&R

Originally Posted by alice
Hi
I've just received my AFP fingerprint result yesterday. I bought an International Bank Draft from a local bank. In the US there is no Int'l. Reply Post stamp available so I've sent my application in a sealed envelope to my friend in Sydney, then she bought an International Prepaid Registered Envelope that costA$11.00 (large) then attached it on my sealed envelope and send it by courier to AFP. It took 7 days to process and only 3 days to receive the mail.
anaogg - I have sent you a pm.
Alice - Thanks for your advice, 7 days is fast! I will be going to Oz next month so will organise the police checks once I'm there, will remember to buy an international prepaid envelope before I send them off - good tip!! : )