Australian citizenship by descent

Old Aug 23rd 2001, 12:45 pm
Karin

Hi!

I am a 23 year old German who wants to apply for Australian citizenship by descent
(my mum is Australian). I just found out that you have to be registered as an
Australian citizen by descent before you turn 18 so that's too late for me. But as
far as I know they are thinking of extending the age limit to 25.

Has anyone some more information about this e. g. when the AUS government will extend
the age limit etc.? (is it late this year or early next year???)

Thanks a lot!

Karin

Old Aug 26th 2001, 1:40 am
Sm

See a decent lawyer.

I got registered at Australia House at birth. My brother and sister got registered
about the time of their birth too. But, Australia House tried to refuse my youngest
sister even though she was only ten when my old man signed her up. I am not sure of
the reasoning, but after a decent lawyer got involved, my old man sorted it out for
her and she got it.

I believe that if you are second generation born outside Oz, there may be some kind
of residence requirement. I hope that Oz is not like the UK where maternal descent is
not as valid.

Seb

--

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Aug 26th 2001, 8:59 am
Jaj

Legislation to raise the age limit to 25 was introduced into the federal Australian
parliament on 23 Aug 2001. The same Bill will repeal section 17, which causes adult
Australians to lose their citizenship if they acquire another.

http://www.aph.gov.au http://www.southern-cross-group.org

As far as the second generation is concerned, for those currently under 18 (and 25 in
future) who want to register as Australians, the Australian parent must have been
either be a citizen by birth or naturalisation themselves at the time of the person's
birth, OR if they held Australian citizenship by descent themselves, there is an
additional requirement that they've spent 2 years living legally in Australia before
the application is made.

Different rules apply for those born between 26 Jan 1949 and 15 Jan 1974.

Under Australian law, citizenship by descent can be inherited just as easily from a
mother as from a father. UK law has actually become gender neutral in this respect,
but only for those born in 1983 or later.

Jeremy

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

[usenetquote2]>> Hi![/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>>[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> I am a 23 year old German who wants to apply for Australian citizenship by descent[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> (my mum is Australian). I just found out that you have to be registered as an[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> Australian citizen by descent before you turn 18 so that's too late for me. But as[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> far as I know they are thinking of extending the age limit to 25.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> Has anyone some more information about this e. g. when the AUS government will[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> extend the age limit etc.? (is it late this year or early next year???)[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> Thanks a lot![/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> Karin[/usenetquote2]