Aus citizen question

Old Apr 23rd 2006, 12:19 am
ige
Forum Regular

ige is on a distinguished road
Default Aus citizen question

I have been living in AUS for almost 2yrs as a PR.
So 'm suppose to apply for my citizenship by August.
Is it true it is has been changed to 3yrs or are they going to change it.
Is it still 2 years?
Any ideas?
Old Apr 23rd 2006, 4:12 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Aus citizen question

Originally Posted by ige
I have been living in AUS for almost 2yrs as a PR.
So 'm suppose to apply for my citizenship by August.
Is it true it is has been changed to 3yrs or are they going to change it.
Is it still 2 years?
Any ideas?
At present it is still 2 years as the law has not yet been passed.
It is imminent though, and will change the requirement to 3 years.
Old Apr 23rd 2006, 4:50 am
ige
Forum Regular

ige is on a distinguished road

I feel the same.
But do you think it will change in July?

Originally Posted by Pollyana
At present it is still 2 years as the law has not yet been passed.
It is imminent though, and will change the requirement to 3 years.
Old Apr 23rd 2006, 5:52 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ige
I feel the same.
But do you think it will change in July?
Wouldn't like to guess, though I know that was the date mooted at one point. Doesn't really concern me as I won't be eligible until 2009, but keep your eyes on the forum - when it does change, there will be more posts than you can shake a stick at!
Old Apr 23rd 2006, 9:25 am
Ok this isn't so bad

Stitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Wouldn't like to guess, though I know that was the date mooted at one point. Doesn't really concern me as I won't be eligible until 2009, but keep your eyes on the forum - when it does change, there will be more posts than you can shake a stick at!

Just a quick question....Our PR runs out in Sept 2007. We validated in 2003 and are due to mover over in June this year. For us to be eligible for citizenship we would have to stay for 2 years continuous or would we? (That's going on the two year thing).
Old Apr 23rd 2006, 10:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stitch
Just a quick question....Our PR runs out in Sept 2007. We validated in 2003 and are due to mover over in June this year. For us to be eligible for citizenship we would have to stay for 2 years continuous or would we? (That's going on the two year thing).
Here is the official answer

"To apply for Australian citizenship you would need to have been in Australia for at least 2 years as a permanent resident in the last five years. This time must include a total of twelve months in the two years immediately before making your citizenship application. The twelve months does not need to be continuous"

Here is the link to the citizenship site http://www.citizenship.gov.au/
Old Apr 23rd 2006, 9:33 pm
Ok this isn't so bad

Stitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WendyC
Here is the official answer

"To apply for Australian citizenship you would need to have been in Australia for at least 2 years as a permanent resident in the last five years. This time must include a total of twelve months in the two years immediately before making your citizenship application. The twelve months does not need to be continuous"

Here is the link to the citizenship site http://www.citizenship.gov.au/

Cheers Wendy....What gets me confused (more than usual!) is the 2 years out of the 5....I take it to mean the 5 years on the PR Visa??

Ginny
Old Apr 23rd 2006, 9:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stitch
Cheers Wendy....What gets me confused (more than usual!) is the 2 years out of the 5....I take it to mean the 5 years on the PR Visa??

Ginny
I take it to mean that you need to have been resident 2 years in the last 5 years.

EG: my visa was granted on Jan 4th, we have until Jan 4th 2011 to actually take up residency. If we take up residence on Dec 31st 2010 then we would have to wait until Dec 31st 2012 before we could apply for citizenship.

I don't know if that's a bit clearer.

And I hope that someone can clarify/verify that for us.
Old Apr 24th 2006, 6:35 am
Ok this isn't so bad

Originally Posted by WendyC
I take it to mean that you need to have been resident 2 years in the last 5 years.

EG: my visa was granted on Jan 4th, we have until Jan 4th 2011 to actually take up residency. If we take up residence on Dec 31st 2010 then we would have to wait until Dec 31st 2012 before we could apply for citizenship.

I don't know if that's a bit clearer.

And I hope that someone can clarify/verify that for us.

That's what I thought......

Cheers

Ginny