Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Attaching Girlfriend/soon to be spouse to Student Visa- Complicated sitaution..help!

Attaching Girlfriend/soon to be spouse to Student Visa- Complicated sitaution..help!

Old Apr 18th 2008, 5:15 am
Just Joined

Marcus22 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Attaching Girlfriend/soon to be spouse to Student Visa- Complicated sitaution..help!

So Im just now realizing this seems to be a much larger and more daunting process than originally anticipated...here's the story:

My girlfriend and I want to start a life together, we just passed our one year anniversary mark, and we are undoubtedly soulmates. We live appart, I in the USA..california, she in Hungary near Budapest. I've wanted to study, and am considering immigrating to Australia, Brisbane. Im currenty a 3rd grade teacher here in the US, and we both decided that Australia is a dream situation for our future life. I would like to apply under the skilled migration, but know that it isnt as easy as just applying and getting accepted. She and I have been looking at all the options, as we are missing eachother desperately and every day seems like being in the waiting line to start living again. So we came to the idea that I would come to Australia as a student, to earn my graduate degree, which I planned to do in any case. And after studying for two years, I would have a much greater likelyhood for success for being granted permanent residency. But she and I cant prove DeFacto as we havent been living together, we can prove seriousness of the relationship by way of showing airplane tickets to visit eachother and spending time, and emails and phone records, but am sure this is not even close to enough for proof of DeFacto. So our thoughts were that she would come as a tourist(676 visa), and I come as a Student(under student visa), and be married officially in Queensland, Brisbane, and then I would re-apply for my student visa and add her to my student visa as my spouse. Then as I was calling to find out the possibilties, one agent in the Aus. immigration office mentioned 8503, the 'no further stay clause'. This prompted my further investigation, which now i feel like I've been completely naive...and seems that even if we did get married, they wouldnt just put her on my student visa and then all our woes would be solved(is this true?. Whenever i call a visa agent at Aus. Immigration, they seem to say different things. One did say that this would be ok, that if we got married, it would be a non-issue of proving defacto because we would have marriage status. But on here, now im reading that this isnt true. I've placed a lot of hope within our plan based on what the immigration agents said, but reading some of your stories...im loosing hope quickly that this plan is sound at all. We are deeply commited to our plan, in whatever direction it needs to be taken...I have put my house for sale, sold many personal items I cant take with me, and prepared for studying in Queensland in the end goal of permanent residency. I have been granted student Loans for University of Queensland...and have been accepted to the post-grad teaching program. But, I wont go without her, as my main goal in life is for us to be together-Im 30 years old, and we want to start our family...but seems like even in the bliss of eachothers arms, our dreams seem to have hit a road block! Any help and suggestions with our situation is greatly apprecaited...
Old Apr 18th 2008, 5:17 am
Just Joined

Marcus22 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Attaching Girlfriend/soon to be spouse to Student Visa- Complicated sitaution..he

also, does anyone know of a forum for US immigrating to Australia? but im guessing the advice would be the same from either forum...thanks!
Marcus
Old Apr 21st 2008, 12:36 am
Addicted to browsing BE

goldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Attaching Girlfriend/soon to be spouse to Student Visa- Complicated sitaution..he

Hi Marcus.

Personally I would suggest speaking to a good immigration agent (I can highly recommend George Lombard).

My other suggestion is that you marry BEFORE applying for the student visa (i.e. you go to Hungary, get married and apply for a visa from there). As a US citizen you shouldhave no issues assuming you have the money to pay for the course, are healthy and have no major criminal record.

Collect all the info you need now. FBI clearance, academic transcripts etc.

I can't really tell you anything else, speak to George Lombard and he'll put you on the right course.

Its not worth cutting corners now to ruin your chances in the long term Try to be patient and I'm sure it will all work out for you.
Old Apr 24th 2008, 12:19 pm
Lifestyle Development

balkanghost is a jewel in the roughbalkanghost is a jewel in the roughbalkanghost is a jewel in the roughbalkanghost is a jewel in the rough

From what details you have given, solution could be your friend studying, more economic priced course, also in Oz, then living together in Australia?

Whether married or defacto you have to prove relationship length, seriousness etc. for partner to be included as dependent on student visa....generally two years....

I do know that a student visa for a Hungarian is preferred vs a tourist visa/ETA as most ETAs for Hungarians are no further stay, generally....and Central Europeans can get discounts in private English/vocational colleges.

Cheers Andrew