Assurer taken salary sacrafice

Old Sep 23rd 2003, 4:50 pm
ScotlivinginTexas

MaureenC is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Assurer taken salary sacrafice

Hi all,

Any help on my problem would be much appreciated. We're applying for skilled sponsored visa. Hubby's aunt is sponsoring us and her husband is the assurer. We know he has to meet a certain income level which he has done for the tax year 2001/2002. Unfortunately he took a salary sacrafice (which I hear is pretty normal in Australia) but it knocks him below the threshold. Unfortunately his tax certificate for the year 2002/2003 now shows that he only earned 10,000 AUD. Anyone out there know if he can still be an Assurer or will I need to go for joint Assurers.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks to you all
Maureen
Old Sep 23rd 2003, 5:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud of

Hi Maureen,
I'm afraid you will have to go down the line of joint assurance. Our assurer fell short in the first year by around $400 only and we had to race around to find a top up assurer.
Sorry if it's not what you wanted to hear but it seems there is no flexibility in the amounts required

Good Luck any way
Old Sep 24th 2003, 9:08 am
ScotlivinginTexas

MaureenC is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for that reply Rossi. I understand what your saying and I'm sure your right. However the actual income was above the threshold so I am confused as to why the actual earned income is not used. The wage slips clearly indicate his income was above the require amount. The TAX return for the year says he earned a low amount because of the salary sacrifice (Whatever that is????).

So I have a few questions:

1. Can the wage slips be used as well as the TAX return to show the ACTUAL income?
2. Can we produce some other documents so show the sacrifice for the year to support the income?
3. Has any other individuals come across this issue. Were you able to resolve it?

Luckily hubby does have another aunt and cousins in Australia so we can go ahead with them but it would be simpler if we could use the one assuror.

Maureen

Last edited by MaureenC; Sep 24th 2003 at 9:24 am.
Old Sep 24th 2003, 11:59 am
Jaj

Default Re: Assurer taken salary sacrafice

If it's a mandatory assurance of support (eg for skilled sponsored)
the you will find DIMIA quite inflexible on the need for tax returns
supporting the required taxable income. If the assurer has salary
sacrificed to bring down his taxable income, it's tough luck I'm
afraid.

Joint assurance is one option. You may want to consider just asking
someone else to stand as a sole assurer if they meet the income
criteria. Read the information on form 28 about 'joint and several
liability' and also about the limitation on standing as assurer over
more than two people at any one time.

Jeremy

>On Tue, 23 Sep 2003 17:55:05 +0000, Rossi <member7753@british_expats.com> wrote:
    >Hi Maureen,
    >I'm afraid you will have to go down the line of joint assurance. Our
    >assurer fell short in the first year by around $400 only and we had to
    >race around to find a top up assurer.
    >Sorry if it's not what you wanted to hear but it seems there is no
    >flexibility in the amounts required
    >Good Luck any way
    >--
    >Posted via http://britishexpats.com

This is not intended to be legal advice in any jurisdiction