Assurance of support for spouse

Old Aug 13th 2004, 5:43 am
Ryan

Default Assurance of support for spouse

I believe DIMIA request an assurance of support if the case officer believes
there is a need for one, correct? Does this mean when you get a request for
AoS it means the case officer has decided that your application is basically
approved and is just waiting for the Aos?

Old Aug 13th 2004, 6:15 am
In Brisbane at last!!!

shecha is a jewel in the roughshecha is a jewel in the roughshecha is a jewel in the roughshecha is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Assurance of support for spouse

Originally Posted by Ryan

Hi Ryan,
My hubby has just had his spouse visa granted and we didn't have to supply the AoS bond.
I was my hubby's sponsor and I don't live in Oz but they were still happy with me just declaring on my sponsorship form that we have savings and that I would ensure my husband and son were provided for.
I think they also look at whether you are deemed likely to be a high user of the benefits system. If you haven't claimed benefits for a few years and have been working, they are unlikely to ask for the AoS.
Both myself and my hubby have both always worked and hadn't ever claimed any benefits (other than child related benefits such as Child Benefit/Child tax Credit), so we ok there.
You also can't claim benefits (other than family related benefits) for the first 2 years once you emigrate to OZ and I think that making a statement to them that you intend finding employment immediately helps.
If they do ask for an AoS, I would think it's quite likely that once you provide this, a visa will prob be granted.
Hope this helps.
Good Luck!!
Old Aug 13th 2004, 6:19 am
Morris Syzlak

"Ryan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > I believe DIMIA request an assurance of support if the case officer
believes
    > there is a need for one, correct? Does this mean when you get a request
for
    > AoS it means the case officer has decided that your application is
basically
    > approved and is just waiting for the Aos?

Well generally if they ask for an AoS it's pretty much the last stage of the
application. So basically you've got it in the bag. However, this is DIMIA
we're talking about. So it's not safe to assume anything :)

Good luck

---
Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).
Version: 6.0.736 / Virus Database: 490 - Release Date: 9/08/2004

Old Aug 13th 2004, 8:51 am
o_0

Peter will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Ryan
On the same token, asking for an AoS for a partner: spouse visa is a relative rarity and a fairly sure sign DIMIA thinks someone's a welfare burden waiting to happen.
Old Aug 13th 2004, 11:44 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ulujain
On the same token, asking for an AoS for a partner: spouse visa is a relative rarity and a fairly sure sign DIMIA thinks someone's a welfare burden waiting to happen.
A discretionary assurance of support on a spouse visa is unusual for someone from the UK, US, Canada etc.

It's quite common if the spouse is from somewhere like the Middle East or India. The reason for this is that in DIMIA's experience, cultural and language barriers mean that spouse visa applicants from some countries are a much higher welfare risk than others.

Jeremy
Old Aug 20th 2004, 9:07 pm
o_0

Peter will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by JAJ
A discretionary assurance of support on a spouse visa is unusual for someone from the UK, US, Canada etc.

It's quite common if the spouse is from somewhere like the Middle East or India. The reason for this is that in DIMIA's experience, cultural and language barriers mean that spouse visa applicants from some countries are a much higher welfare risk than others.

Jeremy
This is the AoS where they don't ask for money up front? Yes, I know they *may*, but not in general; correct?
Old Aug 20th 2004, 9:38 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ulujain
This is the AoS where they don't ask for money up front? Yes, I know they *may*, but not in general; correct?
There is no bond for a discretionary AOS - there is one for a mandatory AOS.

Jeremy