Assurance of support problems

Old Feb 23rd 2006, 9:32 pm
Forum Regular

JayJay 88 will become famous soon enough
Unhappy Assurance of support problems

I'm getting really frustrated with our potential assurer. My husband has 4 cousins in Oz and they are really keen for us to move out there. When first talked about AOS they all discussed and decided who was best to do it - one of his cousins is a manager in the fire service, steady job, well over the minimum income etc, so was the obvious choice.

When we got our AOS request we contacted Rob's cousin, his reaction was "yeah, I can't see any problem". We've sent him the email with the letter from DIMIA, then a follow up email, but have heard absolutely nothing (for 2 weeks). I'm getting worried that he doesn't want to do it, but we don't want to keep hassling him.

Has anyone had similar problems? If he doesn't want to do it we don't think his other cousins would have enough income (one's on maternity leave, another does casual work etc) - does anyone know any other route to finding an assurer?

JayJay
Old Feb 23rd 2006, 10:07 pm

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Assurance of support problems

Originally Posted by JayJay 88
I'm getting really frustrated with our potential assurer. My husband has 4 cousins in Oz and they are really keen for us to move out there. When first talked about AOS they all discussed and decided who was best to do it - one of his cousins is a manager in the fire service, steady job, well over the minimum income etc, so was the obvious choice.

When we got our AOS request we contacted Rob's cousin, his reaction was "yeah, I can't see any problem". We've sent him the email with the letter from DIMIA, then a follow up email, but have heard absolutely nothing (for 2 weeks). I'm getting worried that he doesn't want to do it, but we don't want to keep hassling him.

Has anyone had similar problems? If he doesn't want to do it we don't think his other cousins would have enough income (one's on maternity leave, another does casual work etc) - does anyone know any other route to finding an assurer?

JayJay

I would email them again and just ask again if its ok they assure you, if yes could they do the forms asap as there is a time limit they need to be in by. Reassure them that you dont expect anything from them and that the AOS is simply a formality for you to get accepted. I take it you will be putting up the bond money? I dont think the assuror has to be related to you......my cousin was our sponsor....but her hubby was our assurer as he earned more

best of luck
Old Feb 24th 2006, 5:05 am
BE Enthusiast

happymum has much to be proud ofhappymum has much to be proud ofhappymum has much to be proud ofhappymum has much to be proud ofhappymum has much to be proud ofhappymum has much to be proud ofhappymum has much to be proud ofhappymum has much to be proud ofhappymum has much to be proud ofhappymum has much to be proud ofhappymum has much to be proud of

Ah, sorry to hear this. Must be so frustrating. As Biggy says, your assurer doesn't have to be related to you. Do you have any other friends in Aus who you could approach? Obviously providing the bond money yourself is necessary, and some people have offered their relatives to keep the bond money once the 2 year period is up as an added incentive to hurry up and cooperate!

There are private companies who act as assurers, someone here has a list of them that they might provide. They do charge for their services though, but if it is your only option, you might have to just go that route.

Hope things work out soon for you.
Old Feb 24th 2006, 7:49 am
BE Forum Addict

CathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond repute

JayJay
This is a reply I got(off another forum) when I was experiencing aos problems.

1. While some take it as an insult that suddenly close friends and associates are not willing to help them out in signing an Assurance of Support, you have to understand that in this day and age of everyone suing everyone, not many people are willing to sign their name on the dotted line that leaves them financially liable for another individual no matter how good their intentions at the outset. In such circumstances, firms such as Hawthorn Cuppaidge and Badegery have assisted in drafting Indemnity Agreements which ultimately mean that despite the fact that the Assurance is signed by the Assurer, any future claim made by the Commonwealth on the Assurer allows the Assurer to seek compensation from the applicant. I suggest you contact Hawthorns at [email protected] for more advice about such agreements. Friends and associates may be more willing to assist if such an agreement were in place.

2. There are a number of Companies that are willing to provide Assurances and many have agreements such as the one outlines above. Again, Hawthorns will be able to advise you about such contracts and what is out there on offer.

All the best,
Old Feb 24th 2006, 8:19 am
Forum Regular

Country Boy is a jewel in the roughCountry Boy is a jewel in the roughCountry Boy is a jewel in the roughCountry Boy is a jewel in the rough

I may be in a similar situation to others whose Assurer has gone a bit 'wobbly'.

Has anybody got an example of the AoS form that the Assurer is required to sign as part of the AoS procedure.

Cheers,

CB
Old Feb 24th 2006, 8:23 am
BE Forum Addict

CathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Country Boy
I may be in a similar situation to others whose Assurer has gone a bit 'wobbly'.

Has anybody got an example of the AoS form that the Assurer is required to sign as part of the AoS procedure.

Cheers,

CB
centrelink send it to them.
Old Feb 24th 2006, 11:51 am
Bright in Orange

Scotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond repute

JayJay
Hi JayJay

I have had exactly the same situation as you (and have 5 cousins, but only one for various reasons that could assure) and discovered a couple of things

Firstly this is not as important to them as it is to you
Secondly it involves them in lots of hassle - not so much the form filling but the evidence collection, the time off work to get to Centrelink etc
Thirdly, the Ozzies are very laid back - things take time!

My strategy in dealing was patience and a few phone calls. It took me some weeks to get my cousin to do his Form 40 (even when I had an agent) as he had to get four different forms of evidence to prove who he was. It then took a further few weeks to get the appointment with CentreLink - not because he was unwilling but there was only one person at CentreLink who dealt with this and they were off sick. He also had a busy job and needed to take time out at work to visit during office hours.

He may have changed his mind - but if so he will need to answer to his other cousins as well as you - so asking the next most suitable may change his mind back again. Suggest a call to establish gently the position and then ask what you can do to help. And then you just have to be patient and walk the fine line between gentle reminders and being too pushy. I found every 10 days /two weeks if I hadn't heard anything I would call or email (and remember emails can go astray)

I also engaged peer pressure with other cousins - made sure they knew what was going on and why we still didn't have our visa - all very gently of course.

Try not to worry - just get the facts and you can plan from their

Good luck

Scotty
Old Feb 24th 2006, 1:24 pm
Forum Regular

Tony Po has a brilliant futureTony Po has a brilliant futureTony Po has a brilliant futureTony Po has a brilliant futureTony Po has a brilliant futureTony Po has a brilliant future
Smile Re: Assurance of support problems

JayJay,
I'm in exactly the same position... I am working on a partner of one of my cousins at the moment but have also contacted Hawthorns re them supplying the name of someone who will be my Assurer for cash!
Hawthorns have said they can facilitate this but obviously want some green stuff before giving any more info.
I wonder if anyone out there has actually used a "paid for" Assurer and how the agreement worked???
As far as your cousin's concerned I'd defo go down the subtle hint road... Maybe a horse's head with Assurer written on it sent in a box???

Good luck dude