Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Asking for extension to submit medicals & PCC

Asking for extension to submit medicals & PCC

Old Aug 10th 2005, 12:06 pm
Forum Regular

John J has a brilliant futureJohn J has a brilliant futureJohn J has a brilliant futureJohn J has a brilliant futureJohn J has a brilliant futureJohn J has a brilliant future
Default Asking for extension to submit medicals & PCC

Our 70 days grace to submit medicals and PCC take us to 7 Oct. (BN 136, Skilled Independent) Searching this forum I've read that extensions of 49 days being granted (in one case twice on a single application).

My son will complete his secondary school in Nov 2006. I would dearly want him to complete his school year in 2006 before we move out. That could do away with a "validation" trip.

Getting the medicals and PCC done now could potentially end up with a "not later than" Aug or Sep 2006 entry date which is about 2 months too early for us (assuming no medical hick-ups).

Should I approach my case officer and ask for extension of 2 months based on the above motivation? Would it be considered a valid reason? Is there a danger that Accountant (2211-11) would be taken off MODL before the visa application is finalised?

Last edited by John J; Aug 10th 2005 at 12:08 pm.
Old Aug 10th 2005, 2:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

brian0 is a jewel in the roughbrian0 is a jewel in the roughbrian0 is a jewel in the roughbrian0 is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Asking for extension to submit medicals & PCC

First, I don't know that there is any reason you could not ask for an extension, and I don't really think you even need to specify a reason. I asked for one on my deadline due to the AoS taking longer and my CO did not even specify a new date, just said get it done as soon as possible. In your case I don't see why they would not let you have an extension.

As for the MODL issue, I believe that once your app has been points assessed (ie: before you would get meds/pcc request), your MODL points are locked in. In other words, I don't think you can lose the MODL points even if the MODL list were to change at this point to not include accountant. So, no worries on that front I would think.

Cheers,
Brian

Originally Posted by John J
Our 70 days grace to submit medicals and PCC take us to 7 Oct. (BN 136, Skilled Independent) Searching this forum I've read that extensions of 49 days being granted (in one case twice on a single application).

My son will complete his secondary school in Nov 2006. I would dearly want him to complete his school year in 2006 before we move out. That could do away with a "validation" trip.

Getting the medicals and PCC done now could potentially end up with a "not later than" Aug or Sep 2006 entry date which is about 2 months too early for us (assuming no medical hick-ups).

Should I approach my case officer and ask for extension of 2 months based on the above motivation? Would it be considered a valid reason? Is there a danger that Accountant (2211-11) would be taken off MODL before the visa application is finalised?
Old Aug 11th 2005, 4:34 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by John J

1. You can ask for an extension - case officer can always say no if you have not got a good reason. I don't know if you want to start signalling things that suggest you want to delay getting to Australia.

2. It's not a good idea to leave validation to the last minute anyway (too much risk of problems, delays etc). If you can't move before November 2006, then you should be thinking in terms of a validation trip anyway.

3. Points are 'locked in' once an assessment is made. Usually this is before medicals are requested - but not always. And you don't know which is the case.

However other factors like dependency are not locked until visa grant (and a grey area between grant and validation), and health issues are not locked in until you validate.

Jeremy
Old Aug 12th 2005, 7:34 am
NorthLakes, Brissy

wargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
2. It's not a good idea to leave validation to the last minute anyway (too much risk of problems, delays etc). If you can't move before November 2006, then you should be thinking in terms of a validation trip anyway.
Just to highlight this point - BA are currently grounding flights etc
Old Aug 12th 2005, 9:57 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wargod
Just to highlight this point - BA are currently grounding flights etc

As well as that, the impression from the lifestyle forum is that house sales in the UK have a nasty tendency to "fall through" and the last thing you need is for this to happen when you have a short deadline to get to Australia.

Jeremy