Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Arrested but no conviction - UK Police checks

Arrested but no conviction - UK Police checks

Old Aug 24th 2012, 9:05 am
Just Joined

Benjammintoo is just really niceBenjammintoo is just really niceBenjammintoo is just really niceBenjammintoo is just really niceBenjammintoo is just really niceBenjammintoo is just really niceBenjammintoo is just really niceBenjammintoo is just really nice
Default Arrested but no conviction - UK Police checks

Hi,

I have just been assigned a case officer for my 175 GSM visa as an Electrician.
I have been asked to get police checks done here in the UK, and the application form asks if I have ever been arrested, cautioned or convicted of a criminal offence.

To tell the truth I was arrested around 1990 when I was about 17 (and naive), on suspicion of something or other to do with with a spate of thefts in the local area. (sorry for the lack of details but I honestly can't remember exactly what it was.)
Anyway, I hadn't done anything, and no conviction was brought against me.
However, I have started to worry now about the fact that I was arrested.
Will this harm my application process, or is it only if you have a criminal conviction?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Ben.
Old Aug 24th 2012, 9:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Arrested but no conviction - UK Police checks

Originally Posted by Benjammintoo
Hi,

I have just been assigned a case officer for my 175 GSM visa as an Electrician.
I have been asked to get police checks done here in the UK, and the application form asks if I have ever been arrested, cautioned or convicted of a criminal offence.

To tell the truth I was arrested around 1990 when I was about 17 (and naive), on suspicion of something or other to do with with a spate of thefts in the local area. (sorry for the lack of details but I honestly can't remember exactly what it was.)
Anyway, I hadn't done anything, and no conviction was brought against me.
However, I have started to worry now about the fact that I was arrested.
Will this harm my application process, or is it only if you have a criminal conviction?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Ben.
Then you should have nothing to worry about. Get the Police checks done and submit it.

But, still be honest and declare it on the form. Honesty is the best policy. People do get into Australia even with minor convictions in the past.
Old Aug 24th 2012, 9:45 am
Just Joined

Benjammintoo is just really niceBenjammintoo is just really niceBenjammintoo is just really niceBenjammintoo is just really niceBenjammintoo is just really niceBenjammintoo is just really niceBenjammintoo is just really niceBenjammintoo is just really nice

Originally Posted by Alfresco
Then you should have nothing to worry about. Get the Police checks done and submit it.

But, still be honest and declare it on the form. Honesty is the best policy. People do get into Australia even with minor convictions in the past.
Thanks for the advice. I have already marked this on the form as I was not going to try and hide it. It just worried me that I might get my application knocked back for just being arrested....!
You've made me feel a lot calmer now. So, Thank You.!
Old Aug 24th 2012, 10:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

You're welcome.
Old Aug 24th 2012, 3:25 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the advice. I have already marked this on the form as I was not going to try and hide it. It just worried me that I might get my application knocked back for just being arrested....!
Don't unintentionally admit to something that you didn't do. If you were arrested by mistake, don't try to create a reason for it. Innocent people are arrested all the time.

You should have a clear police certificate.
Old Sep 17th 2012, 8:51 am
Just Joined

Thanks for the advice!

Got the Police check back Wednesday in the post with 'no trace' as suggested!
Uploaded it to the visa application Wednesday after work and woke up Thursday morning to a visa grant notification!!!

Phew! I guess i was worried for nothing?
Old Sep 17th 2012, 1:53 pm

Location: "What I did, I did without choice. In the name of peace and sanity."
mrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the advice!

Uploaded it to the visa application Wednesday after work and woke up Thursday morning to a visa grant notification!!!

Congratulations.
Old Sep 17th 2012, 7:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Thanks for the advice!