Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Applying for a visa with a criminal conviction

Applying for a visa with a criminal conviction

Old Nov 15th 2016, 11:15 am
Just Joined

rossco90 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Applying for a visa with a criminal conviction

Hi guys,

I'm off to visit Oz for 2 months in January.

Eight years ago I was convicted of drink-driving, I never got any jail time just a one year driving ban and a fine. I'm aware this is a criminal conviction.

I have just applied and been granted for the eVisitor visa (subclass 651)

Aware that a criminal record can be an issue with such things, I read the small print I could find - the one potentially relevant stipulation being that you can not apply for this visa if you have been charged of an offence which the result of which was a 12 month sentence (weather served or not) - From the wording and reading FAQ's on the site I took this to mean prison sentences.

However in the visa wording itself it states that it is valid under visa condition '8528: NO CRIM CONVICTIONS'. With no reference to severity of crime/punishment etc which has me a bit anxious.

Does anyone have any knowledge on the matter or know whether I should be concerned? Or even better has anyone experienced similar themselves?

Thanks,
Ross
Old Nov 15th 2016, 10:33 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Applying for a visa with a criminal conviction

You're fine. You just need to remember to tick 'Yes' to the question regarding criminal convictions on the incoming passenger card when you arrive in Australia. You'll be asked about your conviction and sentence. Just be completely honest and you won't have any problems.