Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Applying for GSM as an accountant without agent??

Applying for GSM as an accountant without agent??

Old Jun 17th 2007, 1:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

soulrebel will become famous soon enoughsoulrebel will become famous soon enough
Default Applying for GSM as an accountant without agent??

Hi
Was wondering if anyone has any experience of applying for the GSM 136 visa as an accountant without using an agent? Is it straightforward enough to do it yourself?
My wife is applying as a fund accountant and has 140 points. She is a member of ACCA and has a bachelors degree in finance and accounting.
She is getting assesed by CPA in australia and we are waiting to get that back. We sent it 2 weeks ago and were told by them that it would take 2-4 weeks.
We were told by a few people including one agent that we would save ourselves money if we did it ourselves as it wasnt complicated for accountants to apply like it would be for TRA for example where you have to find different ways to gather points together.
However some other people have told us we are mad not to use an agent as they will save us time and will make sure we get Visa and they will do most of the work for us. I know there are lots and lots of forms.
What do you guys think??
Will we be fine?
Old Jun 17th 2007, 2:34 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Applying for GSM as an accountant without agent??

Originally Posted by soulrebel
Hi
Was wondering if anyone has any experience of applying for the GSM 136 visa as an accountant without using an agent? Is it straightforward enough to do it yourself?
My wife is applying as a fund accountant and has 140 points. She is a member of ACCA and has a bachelors degree in finance and accounting.
She is getting assesed by CPA in australia and we are waiting to get that back. We sent it 2 weeks ago and were told by them that it would take 2-4 weeks.
We were told by a few people including one agent that we would save ourselves money if we did it ourselves as it wasnt complicated for accountants to apply like it would be for TRA for example where you have to find different ways to gather points together.
However some other people have told us we are mad not to use an agent as they will save us time and will make sure we get Visa and they will do most of the work for us. I know there are lots and lots of forms.
What do you guys think??
Will we be fine?
Up to you. Accountant skill assessment is more straightforward than tradesmen, and your wife clearly qualifies.

Any particular reason why she has chosen to be assessed by CPAA rather than ICAA or NIA?

As regards the visa application itself, if your both clued in, willing to do your own research and meet the requirements without complications then you don't need an agent. One thing to bear in mind with accountants is proving enough work experience at professional level - DIAC are on the look-out for experience as a book-keeper which will not be counted.

Many agents will give a significant discount on fees if you have already done skill assessment.
Old Jun 17th 2007, 2:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

louie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
Was wondering if anyone has any experience of applying for the GSM 136 visa as an accountant without using an agent?
Yes, me - sort of! I'm an FCA and it was easy enough for me, working in private practice as a partner, so about as straightforward as they come. That said, we left it very late as I turned 45 just two weeks after submitting our application, so we couldn't afford to get anything wrong as there was no second attempt possible (for a 136 at least) if the application was returned (as some are if you don't sign the right boxes, etc) or turned down.

So I did the skills assessments myself (ICAA), filled in the forms and paid for an hour of Ian Harrop's time, just to check we'd got it all right. Fortunately we had and we got the visa in 70 days.
Old Jun 17th 2007, 3:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

soulrebel will become famous soon enoughsoulrebel will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by JAJ
Up to you. Accountant skill assessment is more straightforward than tradesmen, and your wife clearly qualifies.

Any particular reason why she has chosen to be assessed by CPAA rather than ICAA or NIA?.
A few people recommended them and I think someone in ACCA head office mentioned it aswell. Do you think ICAA would have been better?? Its sent now anyway, hope we went with the right one......

Originally Posted by JAJ
As regards the visa application itself, if your both clued in, willing to do your own research and meet the requirements without complications then you don't need an agent. One thing to bear in mind with accountants is proving enough work experience at professional level - DIAC are on the look-out for experience as a book-keeper which will not be counted.
She has about 5 years experience with top American fund accounting companies. Should be ok.
Old Jun 17th 2007, 3:17 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

A few people recommended them and I think someone in ACCA head office mentioned it aswell. Do you think ICAA would have been better?? Its sent now anyway, hope we went with the right one......
It really depends on circumstances. For example, CPAA won't accept those without university degrees (your wife should be ok).

DIAC won't care who the skill assessment is from. But if your wife decides she wants to do the CA Program and become an Australian CA, then she would need to be re-assessed by ICAA after arrival.

Fortunately the assessment cost for those who are already permanent residents is much lower - A$50 or so, from memory.
Old Jun 17th 2007, 3:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks for that JAJ
Old Jun 18th 2007, 8:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JAJ
It really depends on circumstances. For example, CPAA won't accept those without university degrees (your wife should be ok).

DIAC won't care who the skill assessment is from. But if your wife decides she wants to do the CA Program and become an Australian CA, then she would need to be re-assessed by ICAA after arrival.

Fortunately the assessment cost for those who are already permanent residents is much lower - A$50 or so, from memory.
I think she has to do company law and taxation after she arrives if she wants to be a CA there but CPA can also re-assess her for that too. Doesnt just have to be ICAA.
So she says.
Old Jun 18th 2007, 10:09 am
JAJ
Retired

I think she has to do company law and taxation after she arrives if she wants to be a CA there but CPA can also re-assess her for that too. Doesnt just have to be ICAA.
So she says.
That is wrong, sorry. She cannot become either a CPA or CA without doing either the CPA Program or the CA Program (plus tax/law bridging study in both cases).

There is no direct access for ACCAs to become either CPA or CA in Australia, sorry.

And if she wants to do the CA Program, she would need to be assessed by ICAA after arrival.

Her choice as to which one she does. There's not much difference between CPA and CA in the Australian marketplace, but CA does have the edge in terms of prestige and also better recognition outside Australia.

At the same time, the CA Program is probably a little more challenging and the ICAA require ACCAs to get mentored work experience while CPAA don't.

Last edited by JAJ; Jun 18th 2007 at 10:34 am.