Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Applying for Citizenship with an expired UK passport?

Applying for Citizenship with an expired UK passport?

Old Jan 25th 2020, 10:45 pm
Forum Regular

Desertwombat is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Applying for Citizenship with an expired UK passport?

Hi All,

We are in the process of applying for citizenship. Having not been out of Australia for some time we didn't realize that my wife's passport had expired.

Has anyone successfully applied for citizenship with an expired UK passport? or does anyone know if it is possible to apply for citizenship with an expired UK passport? or if we need to apply for and obtain a new UK passport before we can apply for citizenship?

Thanks in advance for all your help.
Old Jan 25th 2020, 11:01 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Applying for Citizenship with an expired UK passport?

DoHA will want to confirm your identity. That doesn't necessarily require a valid passport but I would suggest it would make life easier it did renew it.
Old Jan 26th 2020, 2:22 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

The process is taking a very long time right now, even with more staff and a halving of the backlog. The average processing time from when your application is received, to when you have your ceremony, is now about 2 years. I would suggest you try not to do anything that will unnecessarily cause delay or any extra work for DoHA, like applying with an expired passport, since with such a backlog that delay might end up being subject to a multiplier effect. Renew the passport and then apply.

You can go on ahead with yours. The system allows you to link your application to your wife's, so you can do the ceremony on the same day, if you want to do that.
Old Jan 27th 2020, 5:53 am
BE Forum Addict

rammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Doesn’t take long to renew a UK passport from Australia. All on line then post the form and your old passport. You should have it back in three weeks. Also new applicants for citizenship are getting processed quicker now.
Old Jan 30th 2020, 9:55 am
Forum Regular

spence501 is just really nicespence501 is just really nicespence501 is just really nicespence501 is just really nicespence501 is just really nicespence501 is just really nicespence501 is just really nicespence501 is just really nicespence501 is just really nicespence501 is just really nice

Hi there, I just saw this thread. We're a family of five and applied with all of our passports expired in August last year.

We had no problems at all, in fact my oldest daughter has already had her test and is waiting for her ceremony, my son got approval this week and my wife and I have our test date in March.

Hope that's of some help

​​​​
​​​​​​