Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Anyone need help with a skilled independant?

Anyone need help with a skilled independant?

Old Nov 28th 2016, 9:15 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone need help with a skilled independant?

Originally Posted by Lyfey
I think you may have misread. My 175 'renewed/reapplied/just applied' to 155 RRV. A completely different persons 475 replaced by a 189.

So, the 176 only applied a moral restriction? I was under the impression that 'there could have been some residential conditions that were specified by the relevant state or territory government in your nomination'. But again, as I stated, I haven't seen a 176, so wouldn't know the wording of one.

I think I'm completely in the wrong place.

Thank you all for your contributions and comments
As far as a RRV (155) goes 176 holders are exactly the same as 175s. The can live in Australia permanently but if they wish to travel after the first five years they need an RRV.
Old Nov 28th 2016, 9:18 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Humm... this might get interesting. My 175 clearly states it expires after 5 years, however, the holder may be permitted to remain indefinitely.

The 155 (from the immi site) allows you to...

I see what your saying with the substantive visa and I haven't seen a 176 or 475, which are the restricted ones, but if you were sponsored for 5 years, and receive a 155, are you saying that the 176 or 475 restrictions stay in effect? That doesn't sound right based on my previous discussions with immi. I was under the impression holders of a 155 don't have any working restrictions, irrespective of their previous status.

I think that's a little bit pedantic. Let me rephrase, if you'd like. I sponsored his 457 with my SBS. He left my firm and worked for a second with the same 475. He then independently applied and received his 189 (which renounces? (please don't be upset with the phrasing)) his 457. In other words, he had a 457. Now he has a 189 instead.

I also take on board your comment about agents in Australia. I wasn't planning on doing it for them or charging, but the phrasing of 'advise' is probably key. Maybe this isn't a good idea after all.
Unfortunately the world of immigration must be pedantic. Many people thinthat they can progress from one visa to another but almost always (as here with the 189) it is simply a new application for a different visa, and the previous visa has no bearing on it.
Once the new visa is granted, the old one is cancelled. Pedantic I know, but better than being misleading
Old Dec 9th 2016, 6:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

TeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,

As the process has changed with Skillselect, I'm looking to buff up my knowledge. I'm looking for someone that wants to come over on a skilled basis in about a year and I'll help them with the process.

To be entirely clear, I'm not an agent, I'm not registered and this is not a paid-for service. If you have a complicated case and aren't clear cut, then I'd advise you speak to a more qualified bod on this forum

Lyfe
Hi Lyfe

As mentioned above by Pollyana- helping someone with a visa application is against the law in Australia except under specified circumstances (such as being a Registered Migration Agent).

Immigration assistance (under section 276 of the Migration Act 1958) is when a person uses or claims to use knowledge of, or experience in migration procedure to assist with visa applications or other visa matters including:
  • preparing, or helping to prepare, a visa application or other document
  • advising about a visa application or visa matter

If a person who is not a registered migration agent gives immigration assistance unlawfully, they can be fined up to $6 600.

If the person asks for or receives any fee for giving immigration assistance or making immigration representations, the maximum penalty is imprisonment for 10 years.

If a person falsely represents that they are a registered migration agent, the maximum penalty is imprisonment for two years.

If you are interested in more information - or potentially becoming a Registered Migration Agent then take a look at www.mara.gov.au which is the office that regulates Registered Migration Agents