Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Anyone else had High Commission contact their employer?

Anyone else had High Commission contact their employer?

Old Jul 24th 2005, 8:03 am
Forum Regular

NikkiGriff has a spectacular aura aboutNikkiGriff has a spectacular aura aboutNikkiGriff has a spectacular aura about
Question Anyone else had High Commission contact their employer?

I know it happens.....but still un-nerving....bond was lodged Monday last week.....just about to courier 1022 form/extra info requested about my work hours for the last 2 years and proof of meds......when my deputy head tells me last Tuesday just had the Australian High Commission on the phone.

Thing is they ask answers to the questions that can through with the above requests. If they are getting the docs why ring??

Just panicking as usual I know.....just as well everyone in the office knows we have applied.

Anyone else had this happen. Is it common.

Nikki xxxxx
Old Jul 24th 2005, 8:26 am
Here at last

Location: Now here in sunny Sandy Beach, near Coffs Harbour, N.S.W.)
TheRossers is just really niceTheRossers is just really niceTheRossers is just really niceTheRossers is just really niceTheRossers is just really niceTheRossers is just really niceTheRossers is just really niceTheRossers is just really niceTheRossers is just really niceTheRossers is just really niceTheRossers is just really nice
Default Re: Anyone else had High Commission contact their employer?

Originally Posted by NikkiGriff
I know it happens.....but still un-nerving....bond was lodged Monday last week.....just about to courier 1022 form/extra info requested about my work hours for the last 2 years and proof of meds......when my deputy head tells me last Tuesday just had the Australian High Commission on the phone.

Thing is they ask answers to the questions that can through with the above requests. If they are getting the docs why ring??

Just panicking as usual I know.....just as well everyone in the office knows we have applied.

Anyone else had this happen. Is it common.

Nikki xxxxx
Don't worry Nikki, it's standard practice. They used to do it mainly for other regions where work history was dubious but it seems they are doing it regularly for the UK as well. My wifes employer was contacted and they went through a load of questions about how many hours she worked, what she did etc.
Old Jul 24th 2005, 10:47 am
Forum Regular

NikkiGriff has a spectacular aura aboutNikkiGriff has a spectacular aura aboutNikkiGriff has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by TheRossers
Don't worry Nikki, it's standard practice. They used to do it mainly for other regions where work history was dubious but it seems they are doing it regularly for the UK as well. My wifes employer was contacted and they went through a load of questions about how many hours she worked, what she did etc.
Thanks Tony

Knew they did it in other regions.....just panicked......if nothing else....it livened up the day in our office.....sounded quite grand to be honest!!!

Nikki xxx sending karma as a little thank you
Old Jul 24th 2005, 11:55 am
Forum Regular

Jeanette Jones will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by NikkiGriff
Thanks Tony

Knew they did it in other regions.....just panicked......if nothing else....it livened up the day in our office.....sounded quite grand to be honest!!!

Nikki xxx sending karma as a little thank you

Hi NikkiGriff, happened to my hubby as well. Although the re-purcussions were not so good for him. He was taken off a training course he was currently on and is now excluded from anything new happening. Has to plod on boringly at the moment.

However we have sent our Passports to the AHC to have our visa's entered, we were allocated these on 11th July after waiting for sooooo long (May 2004), so house on the market, all systems go at the moment.

Good luck to you.

Jeanette and family
Old Jul 25th 2005, 1:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

happymum has much to be proud ofhappymum has much to be proud ofhappymum has much to be proud ofhappymum has much to be proud ofhappymum has much to be proud ofhappymum has much to be proud ofhappymum has much to be proud ofhappymum has much to be proud ofhappymum has much to be proud ofhappymum has much to be proud ofhappymum has much to be proud of

Spoke to 2 agents recently who said that only about 1 in 10 applicants have their employers contacted by ACH. Has this changed and everyone is being contacted now as a matter of course?
Old Jul 25th 2005, 1:34 pm
Never going back

Sleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond repute

this could have serious repercussions for people who are applying to migrate.... what if their employer doesn't know about the application. we are fortunate that hubbies employer knows and wishes us well, but what if somebodys employer doesn't know and gets a telephone call!! the employer could really put a spanner in the works for their employee if they felt that way inclinced.

is there a place on the forms where you can stipulate that you dont want you employer checked, perhaps?

michelle
Old Jul 25th 2005, 8:42 pm
Reg. Migration Agent

George Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bun
is there a place on the forms where you can stipulate that you dont want you employer checked, perhaps?

michelle
Dear Bun

Actually that would be the best way to make sure they did check :-)

Cheers,

George Lombard

www.austimmigration.com.au
Old Jul 25th 2005, 10:39 pm
Banned

Location: Manchester-Sydney August 07 and maybe Brisbane or Melbourne 08
alkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond repute

A guy from AHC came in to my shop to check me out!

Phoned about 10 minutes away asking for directtions, and just presented a card to my staff. I was away travelling at the time and he asked if they could prove i owned the shop. I keep all my business stuff at home and seen as i was in mexico at the time, they had very little. Then a ma scramble into the loft for old bits of paperwork and then it dawned on one of the staff....The public liability insurance cert on the wall. Just asked a few basic questions. How long ive had shop, etc etc.
Said he was checking in the area as lotys of northerners tend to lie that they are selfemployed compared to southerners apparently!

Be aware, thats all i can say. No probs with my case, but there could have been a delay if he hadnt thought of the insurance cert.,

Good luck and keep calm. It will come if you want it enough.

al.x