Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

ANYONE DOING PRACTICAL FOR VETTASSESS IN JULY?

ANYONE DOING PRACTICAL FOR VETTASSESS IN JULY?

Old Jul 16th 2008, 12:43 pm
Forum Regular

pogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nice
Default Re: ANYONE DOING PRACTICAL FOR VETTASSESS IN JULY?

Originally Posted by LeeLee
Hi,

I'm pretty sure you still need to have some kind of licence to become self-employed in some states of Australia. This is simply because you will need a licence to obtain public liability insurance as a self-employed tradesman. Best thing to do is have a look on the vetassess/ government websites and do the reaserch. This isn't really the thread that people may be wanting to answer this particular question.
Hi LeeLee,
Thanks for your input however I am already here in Oz and have my trade license etc etc. The reason I have been posting simply put is that there seems to be no reference from any of the regular posters to the further requirements needed to work here legally. This is exactly the thread that people should be discussing the licensing requirements on, the vettassess tests are only the tip of the iceberg and everyone should be aware of this before getting carried away with the rest of the immigration process, as I said earlier I am only trying to point out the obstacles that you are going to encounter later on.
Old Jul 16th 2008, 12:53 pm
Forum Regular

Pinny is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by pogsy
Hi Janna and good morning, sounds like the same old story where no one is prepared to put their head on the line.I think you are right and someone doing the carpentry course should take it up with vettassess regarding the licensing for their own benefit, again speaking from experience it took me about two months before I could get anyone to commit to saying what I had to do. The last thing you need when in Oz is to find out things are not as you thought, I can give all the carpenters a list of the things covered at TAFE only it would clogg up the website as there is that much of it, which is another of the reasons why I think the vettassess certificate is not enough to gain the trade license.
Hi
I did'nt ask the question because , according to the Vetassess website, i don't need a licence to trade in Melbourne. Am i being misinformed?
Lee, don't worry about the assessment too much but i would still recommend trying to get hold of a ready reckoner from someone if you possibly can, unless you think your really confident using the square you've got (a few people seemed to struggle using them, especially for the Jacks, or creepers as the ozzies call them)
Cheers
Stuart
Old Jul 16th 2008, 12:54 pm
Account Closed

LeeLee is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi LeeLee,
Thanks for your input however I am already here in Oz and have my trade license etc etc. The reason I have been posting simply put is that there seems to be no reference from any of the regular posters to the further requirements needed to work here legally. This is exactly the thread that people should be discussing the licensing requirements on, the vettassess tests are only the tip of the iceberg and everyone should be aware of this before getting carried away with the rest of the immigration process, as I said earlier I am only trying to point out the obstacles that you are going to encounter later on.
oh i get you now..fair doo's.

Don't know what to say then really, i't will be something people will be discussing after the tests are out thr way i'm sure. Thanks for pointing this out pogsy.

Lee
Old Jul 16th 2008, 12:57 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Pinny
Hi
I did'nt ask the question because , according to the Vetassess website, i don't need a licence to trade in Melbourne. Am i being misinformed?
Lee, don't worry about the assessment too much but i would still recommend trying to get hold of a ready reckoner from someone if you possibly can, unless you think your really confident using the square you've got (a few people seemed to struggle using them, especially for the Jacks, or creepers as the ozzies call them)
Cheers
Stuart
Hi stu,

I'm about to leave for london now, I've been practicing quite a bit with the quick square and seem pretty confident( I Hope!!)

I'm gettin a bit nervous now..not like me!
What saw horse did you do cus i've seen about 4 different examples of them..

Cheers,

Lee
Old Jul 16th 2008, 1:17 pm
Forum Regular

pogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nice

Hi
Cheers
Stuart
Hi Pinny,
As you suggest, I do not think you need a license in Victoria however there are moves here to enable all trades to have one license which will enable them to work in ay state within Australia by the end of this year which is great if you have a license in NSW and want to travel elsewhere, if you are in Victoria and want to travel elsewhere it wouldn't be possible would it, therefore to streamline the whole system don't be surprised if Victoria
suddenly introduce a licensing system for carpenters as I believe that you do need to be licensed for electrical and plumbing work with the relative bodies and also licensed to be a Building practitioner. (I know its a funny title for a builder)
Old Jul 16th 2008, 2:30 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by LeeLee
Hi stu,

I'm about to leave for london now, I've been practicing quite a bit with the quick square and seem pretty confident( I Hope!!)

I'm gettin a bit nervous now..not like me!
What saw horse did you do cus i've seen about 4 different examples of them..

Cheers,

Lee
Sorry Lee, you've probably left by now.
For everyone else its quite a basic saw stool, nothing overly complicated, just check your angles!!
Cheers
Stuart
Old Jul 16th 2008, 4:08 pm
Forum Regular

Ben&Steph2009 is a jewel in the roughBen&Steph2009 is a jewel in the roughBen&Steph2009 is a jewel in the roughBen&Steph2009 is a jewel in the rough

Good luck Lee!!!

and thanks stuart for all the feedback from the test! Ben has he's on Friday
AHHHH
Old Jul 16th 2008, 5:24 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Pinny,
As you suggest, I do not think you need a license in Victoria however there are moves here to enable all trades to have one license which will enable them to work in ay state within Australia by the end of this year which is great if you have a license in NSW and want to travel elsewhere, if you are in Victoria and want to travel elsewhere it wouldn't be possible would it, therefore to streamline the whole system don't be surprised if Victoria
suddenly introduce a licensing system for carpenters as I believe that you do need to be licensed for electrical and plumbing work with the relative bodies and also licensed to be a Building practitioner. (I know its a funny title for a builder)
Hi Pogsy
I understand that people need to know what they still need to do before working in Oz, but the first thing you HAVE to do is pass this assessment. If you don't pass this test then you are not going to get there to come across the other barriers.
At the moment all of us, that are going through this, have enough to think about without someone telling us of more obstacles, thanks for the input and i'm sure you have our best intentions at heart but just let us get past this stage first. We have no choice but to do this!!!
Cheers
Stuart
Old Jul 16th 2008, 9:01 pm
Forum Regular

Wink Re: ANYONE DOING PRACTICAL FOR VETTASSESS IN JULY?

Hi Pogsy
I understand that people need to know what they still need to do before working in Oz, but the first thing you HAVE to do is pass this assessment. If you don't pass this test then you are not going to get there to come across the other barriers.
At the moment all of us, that are going through this, have enough to think about without someone telling us of more obstacles, thanks for the input and i'm sure you have our best intentions at heart but just let us get past this stage first. We have no choice but to do this!!!
Cheers
Stuart
Yes I understand what you mean, I do remember a few years back now when it was the good old fashioned TRA application
Old Jul 17th 2008, 7:40 pm
Account Closed

Sorry Lee, you've probably left by now.
For everyone else its quite a basic saw stool, nothing overly complicated, just check your angles!!
Cheers
Stuart
Hi stu,

Well i've just got back home..i wasn't really that nervous when i eventually got there...You wouldn't believe this!..

I typed in 'college of north west london, london' into AA route finder and it gave me the location of the college. Well yesterday i went in search for it before checking into the hotel so that there would be no suprises in the morning(I found it, it said in big letters on the side of the building 'North west college of London'...I got up nice and early and set off. Got to the college and it seemed pretty dead, spoke to the security guard and he hadn't a clue what i was on about (Bristolian accent didn't help!) He rang round a few place and he came back to me and said it's at willesdon! It was now 7am and i had to go from wembley to willesdon with out a map/sat nav and not even knowing the place at all! I ended up on the north circular and was about to give up and go home, i took the next exit to get back on the north circular to go towards the M4 when i finally saw a sign for willesdon!!! I un-did my windows and asked literally every man, woman and dog where the college was...it was now 7.25am and was panicing like mad. Got to the right college on time in the end and thought the practical went rather well. Few weird questions i didn't know the answers to but overall thought it was fine.

Lee
Old Jul 17th 2008, 7:45 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Ben&Steph2009
Good luck Lee!!!

and thanks stuart for all the feedback from the test! Ben has he's on Friday
AHHHH
Hi Ben and Steph,

Just got back from the practical and i think i was worrying way too much really. It's not that it was easy but they gave you loads of time and they wern't mean, strict assessors. Rather friendly.

Good luck Ben!
Old Jul 17th 2008, 7:46 pm
Forum Regular

Eammon is on a distinguished road

Hi Lee

Gosh - I would have been in a right state by the time I'd got there!!!! Busy checking now that I have booked Eammon into a hotel near the correct college. He's staying at the travelodge at Wembley!!!!! which I think is about 10 minutes away, but not sure now after reading your story!!!!

Glad it went okay, in what way were the questions weird? Fingers crossed you get a positive, sure you will! how long before you hear?

Denise
Old Jul 17th 2008, 7:51 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Janna and Nick
Hi Pogsy,

I know most about the electrical side as that is what my OH is going to be doing shortly. I know that there were some issues not to long ago about what to do with the OTSR once you get over to Oz. The licensing authority said they wouldn't recognize it and vetassess said it wouldn't be a problem just apply for a license.

It later transpired that not everything had been finalised by the licensing authority and that they would actually issue licenses based on the OTSR. Relief for sparkies, but still a bit skeptical. We are waiting with baited breath to see how the April applicants get on. God knows how the December Vetassess guinea pigs got on.......

Maybe what is required is a conversation with Vetassess about "next steps" to see what these newly granted AQFIII 's will enable tradies to achieve over in Oz.

Anybody in the carpentry trade willing to take this up with Vetassess?
sorry but no they dont ( electricians )
all they will issue is a permit to train which still means passing the requirements of your local licensing office ( providing you can get someone to employ you ona permit to train in the first instance )
and again this varies tremendousley between states
Old Jul 17th 2008, 7:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

johnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to all

hi
5 mins from travel lodge to the willseden center, but use a sat nav, there is a couple of wierd turns of the north circular.
john

Originally Posted by Eammon
Hi Lee

Gosh - I would have been in a right state by the time I'd got there!!!! Busy checking now that I have booked Eammon into a hotel near the correct college. He's staying at the travelodge at Wembley!!!!! which I think is about 10 minutes away, but not sure now after reading your story!!!!

Glad it went okay, in what way were the questions weird? Fingers crossed you get a positive, sure you will! how long before you hear?

Denise
Old Jul 17th 2008, 7:56 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Eammon
Hi Lee

Denise
Hi denise, Yeh, just tel Eammon to check that he has the right college.A few people didn't turn up today so i'm wondering if that has anything to do with it.

I stayed in the travel lodge too, the college it told me to go to was the 1 right next to wembley stadium but obviously the wrong 1. The right 1 is in willesdon which isn't that far really...just manged to get lost on the way from the wrong college!ha

Most of the questions were rather straight forward but a few didn't really have much to do with trying to find knowledge of your trade. I'm sure he will be fine.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.