Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

any restrictions on holiday visa regarding criminal offences

any restrictions on holiday visa regarding criminal offences

Old Mar 4th 2007, 6:42 pm
Forum Regular

rodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond repute
Default any restrictions on holiday visa regarding criminal offences

a family member has expressed a wish to visit us in oz but has many criminal convictions some quite recent would that stop him getting a short term holiday visa
Old Mar 4th 2007, 6:52 pm
jonah

jonah38 has much to be proud ofjonah38 has much to be proud ofjonah38 has much to be proud ofjonah38 has much to be proud ofjonah38 has much to be proud ofjonah38 has much to be proud ofjonah38 has much to be proud ofjonah38 has much to be proud ofjonah38 has much to be proud ofjonah38 has much to be proud ofjonah38 has much to be proud of
Default Re: any restrictions on holiday visa regarding criminal offences

Hi

Put 'criminal records and convictions' into the search box. Loads of posts you can read to get a better idea.

Affraid it seems to be swings and roundabouts, 6 of one 1/2 dozen of the other and all depends on what they have done etc.

Bottom line is that they will have to declare them on any visa application -no matter what! Ask them to get a police check done first then they will know what shows up

Good Luck
Old Mar 4th 2007, 7:00 pm
Forum Regular

rodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond repute

I tried the search and the posts seem to relate to perm or working visas and not for holiday visa
Old Mar 4th 2007, 7:01 pm
Forum Regular

robowen will become famous soon enoughrobowen will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by jonah38
Hi

Bottom line is that they will have to declare them on any visa application -no matter what! Ask them to get a police check done first then they will know what shows up

Good Luck
Surely the family member will know what he/she has been convicted of...why waste money on a police check ?
Rob
Old Mar 4th 2007, 7:13 pm
Forum Regular

when we went on holiday in 2005 i think the travel agent obtained our visa
i dont remember ever being asked any questions
Old Mar 4th 2007, 7:47 pm
jonah

jonah38 has much to be proud ofjonah38 has much to be proud ofjonah38 has much to be proud ofjonah38 has much to be proud ofjonah38 has much to be proud ofjonah38 has much to be proud ofjonah38 has much to be proud ofjonah38 has much to be proud ofjonah38 has much to be proud ofjonah38 has much to be proud ofjonah38 has much to be proud of

Hi again

Regardless of perm, temp or visitor visa you are asked the same questions on character and criminal records.

The best thing you can do is go onto OZ immigration web site to download the required application form for the visa you require and read through it thouroughly and all its requirements. Questions on character and criminal records are asked and if you have a conviction you will then need to supply all relevant information to explain your convictions.

Even a basic tourist visa (e676) which you can get on the internet for $70 asks those very questions. Its down to you if you tick the box that says i'm an angel or not.

Robowen - I suggested getting a police check done to save any future aggrevation, disapointment and time. It only costs £10. If this person declares convictions then he/she will have to produce a police check anyway -mandatory requirement. If he/she has a conviction for assault commited 25 years ago and forgets to mention it amongst other convictions then this could have repercussions later on when/if it shows on the police check. Not everyone can remember dates and court appearances for when and what they have been done for! The follwing will give you an idea of what is required

This is what OZ immigration require and is taken from there site

• been convicted of a crime or offence in any country (including any conviction which is now removed from official records).

To enable this office to assess your visa application it is necessary for you to provide information in relation to the answer you provided to the above character question.

Please provide the following information:
• the date(s) of the conviction of the offence;
• if a fine was imposed by a court for the offence, and the monetary amount;
• if a period of detention or periodic detention was imposed for the offence, and for what period of time;
• if a sentence was imposed by a court for the offence, and for what period of time ("sentence" includes any form of determination of punishment for an offence);
• if a suspended sentence was imposed by a court for the offence (eg. required to undertake community service).
• a personal account of the events leading up to and including the offence(s).

You should also provide a certified copy of your court conviction for the offence.

Do you want to take the chance of getting to OZ and then be thrown out in the clothes your wearing
Old Mar 4th 2007, 7:56 pm
jonah

Originally Posted by rodandhayley
when we went on holiday in 2005 i think the travel agent obtained our visa
i dont remember ever being asked any questions
I am confused!!!

If you believe that then why ask the question on criminal records in the first place?
Old Mar 4th 2007, 8:04 pm
Forum Regular

because i dont have any convictions but the family member does and i wouldent like to see him sent back at the airport not really that confusing
Old Mar 4th 2007, 8:38 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

The small print on the site where you apply for an ETA does ask about criminal records. You should contact Australia House BEFORE applying for one. Not to say that they won't grant the visa anyway, but you should contact them and declare it.
Consequences of concealing it? It may come to light later leading to visa cancellation, and could cause problems if you apply for another visa later and have to supply a police check.

Last edited by Pollyana; Mar 4th 2007 at 8:41 pm.
Old Mar 4th 2007, 8:57 pm
jonah

Thanks pollyana

Some just need telling more than once hey!
Old Mar 4th 2007, 9:02 pm
jonah

Originally Posted by rodandhayley
because i dont have any convictions but the family member does and i wouldent like to see him sent back at the airport not really that confusing
It was your question about your family member that i was answering. Clearly you had your doubts or you wouldnt of asked. I have answered and gave you advise to prevent him being returned in his pj's at the dead of night. A thankyou would be nice
Old Mar 4th 2007, 9:06 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks pollyana

no call for that

A thankyou would be nice
and stop begging for appreciation
Old Mar 4th 2007, 9:16 pm
jonah

Wasnt begging for anything

OP obviously didnt agree with the advise given and thought a travel agent wouldnt ask. A simple acknowlegement would have been better than the reply i got.

where the sun dont shine
Old Mar 4th 2007, 9:18 pm
jonah

Thanks pollyana

This was actually directed at myself as pollyana has repeated herself to me in the past

maybe it does
Old Mar 4th 2007, 9:23 pm
Forum Regular

where the sun dont shine
proves again what a nice person you really are

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.