Any international student representative?

Old May 20th 2008, 11:24 am
Just Joined

LUIS 9 has a brilliant futureLUIS 9 has a brilliant futureLUIS 9 has a brilliant futureLUIS 9 has a brilliant futureLUIS 9 has a brilliant futureLUIS 9 has a brilliant futureLUIS 9 has a brilliant future
Default Any international student representative?

Hello everyone:

I posted some time ago regarding the problems I had with the TRA's 900 hours requirement.

I'm studying a Certificate III/Diploma course in Engineering (Mechanical Trade) at Holmesglen TAFE and I tried everything to find work in the field. However I couldn't find anything and the "work-placement" service (offered by Holmesglen on their International Student brochure) was a mess. They couldn't get me any job in the field and they haven't returned my money to me!

Fortunately enough I met a person (not from the TAFE) who offered me help and put me in contact with a suitable employer.

The employer told me that he didn't have any problem in hiring me as a kind of trainee/skilled labourer to meet the work experience but, as he knows nothing about international students, he asked me to bring an official letter from the school or representative explaining him the legal conditions in which international students can work and specially if we were able to get workcover.

At Holmesglen International Student Office they refused to help me, by saying that "it's not their job" and so on. It may not be their job, but writting a simple letter in 3 or 5 minutes is not great deal!

I have also talked with the guy in charge of the engineering section but he told me that he needs approval from the International Body to make the letter.

I have made enquiries myself about workcover and all of that, but the employer still wants a letter.
I went to the department of immigration but they couldn't give any letter.

I don't know what to do now. Do anyone know about any organization that can help international students?

Thanks
Old May 20th 2008, 12:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

mandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Any international student representative?

Originally Posted by LUIS 9
Hello everyone:

I posted some time ago regarding the problems I had with the TRA's 900 hours requirement.

I'm studying a Certificate III/Diploma course in Engineering (Mechanical Trade) at Holmesglen TAFE and I tried everything to find work in the field. However I couldn't find anything and the "work-placement" service (offered by Holmesglen on their International Student brochure) was a mess. They couldn't get me any job in the field and they haven't returned my money to me!

Fortunately enough I met a person (not from the TAFE) who offered me help and put me in contact with a suitable employer.

The employer told me that he didn't have any problem in hiring me as a kind of trainee/skilled labourer to meet the work experience but, as he knows nothing about international students, he asked me to bring an official letter from the school or representative explaining him the legal conditions in which international students can work and specially if we were able to get workcover.

At Holmesglen International Student Office they refused to help me, by saying that "it's not their job" and so on. It may not be their job, but writting a simple letter in 3 or 5 minutes is not great deal!

I have also talked with the guy in charge of the engineering section but he told me that he needs approval from the International Body to make the letter.

I have made enquiries myself about workcover and all of that, but the employer still wants a letter.
I went to the department of immigration but they couldn't give any letter.

I don't know what to do now. Do anyone know about any organization that can help international students?

Thanks
Hi sorry to hear your having problems!

I think it's a hit n a miss with the TAFE's and international students!!

Don't know if there are any international student reps or not. I would suspect that there isn't.

Are you referring to your work placement that you do as part of your course, ie 1 day per week?

If so, then hubbie had to take an actual booklet (he had to find placement himself) to his placement and it gave all the details of expectations of employer/student what was to be achieved and the insurance side of it all ie TAFE responsible. It was a standard official booklet that the employer had to sign and fill in. Hubbies lecturer then at some point has to visit the placement.

Hope this helps! Good luck.
Mandy