another newbie-living in NL!

Old Sep 30th 2007, 4:01 pm
Just Joined

The Beels is an unknown quantity at this point
Red face another newbie-living in NL!

Hi everyone, yet another 'waiter' to add to the list! The hubby and I are British but have lived in the Netherlands for over 4 years, and our application (136 Skilled Indp-Rob's a carpenter) was recieved on 17 May but we didn't actually recieve the acknowledgment until 2 Aug!

Still waiting on a case officer and have now decided to go ahead and book our medicals as the plan was (and still is!) to leave NL in December(it's been 4 years too long waiting for the sunshine!), as work and house contracts will have finished and to be honest, we have been a bit naive about how long this actually takes...as TRA was submitted and passed in one month, so we thought 'how long can it take?' Silly us, our stomachs have been in knots for months!

We've planned to spend December in the UK with family and friends and hopefully spend some time in Asia for a few months, rocking up in Oz around April. We're also looking into Rob being sponsored (plan B and we also have a C!)so that we can still be in Oz when we wanted to... Still undecided about where to live, have done the WHV for a year a few years ago, so we'll just see where the work takes us! Rob's sister lives in Sydney but as a young married couple we think it'll be difficult to get onto the property ladder as prices are hideously expensive there...let's just see....some of our stuff (not a lot, books, etc)will be sent there, so we'll inevitably spend the first few weeks there.

Our only problem now is Police Checks, the Uk ones were relatively pain free to obtain but in NL we have been told to wait until they are requested from the DIAC (a nightmare as we'll be leaving the place in Dec) Are there any other Dutch/expats in the same position? We are currently with an agent, who, when informed of this 'problem' replied that they had previous clients who had no problems obtaining Police Checks from NL without permission. But then, our experience with an agent is definitely another story, (do not want to tempt fate, but it hasn't been entirely positive):curse:

I'd love to hear from anyone who is/was in a similar position, I know it may seem a bit haphazard having a leaving date and no visa but then, life is about taking chances, nothing ventured and all that-we'll still have a few months in Asia to kill...

This forum is a godsend and i've had so many questions answered, so thank you! Looking forward to reading some good news and updates,

NEW LIFE-BRING IT ON! WOO HOO,

Helen