Alternative to a 457 Visa

Old Sep 21st 2008, 1:41 pm
Just Joined

chrisandsue is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Alternative to a 457 Visa

Hi

I hope that someone can advise me as I am new to all of this. My brother owns a business that employs more than 15 staff with a turnover of $1m per year and as I have over 20 years experience as an accountant has offerred me a senior role.

I am a CIMA (accounting) finalist so currently don't quite have enough points - I have 14 and 13 year old children so don't have enough time to qualifiy and then do two yrs post experience. My brother was told by the immigration dept in Sydney that he could sponsor me on a 457 visa then follow on with PR after that however after reading the thread on it, it seems to have quite a few restrictions.

Does anyone know can my brother not sponsor me for a PR visa straight away from the beginning rather than a temporary 457 ?

With the wages that he is offerring me I do not feel it would run to Healthcare, Scooling etc. Also slightly concerned about achieving PR before my children reach 18 and may therefore not be classed as dependents anymore.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks
Chris
Old Sep 21st 2008, 3:32 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Alternative to a 457 Visa

If you are just a CIMA finalist and don't have a degree (do you have one?) then it's not a question of not having enough points. You don't even qualify for a skill assessment (basic requirements).

Why not finish your CIMA qualification, get admitted to full membership, and clock up 1 year's professional work experience (pre-qualification work experience will only be accepted as "skilled" in exceptional circumstances).

Then you should be able to qualify for a skilled PR visa, if the rules don't change, and you are still within the age limit.

How close are you to age 45?
Old Sep 21st 2008, 6:33 pm
Just Joined

chrisandsue is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for your feedback, unfortunately I have not also got a degree but useful to know about only needing to do 1 year post experience.

With my eldest being 15 in a few months I was looking for a quicker route to permanent residency as opposed to the 457
Old Sep 22nd 2008, 8:14 am
BE Forum Addict

pumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond repute

Is the job in Sydney? If not, where abouts is it?
Old Sep 22nd 2008, 11:21 pm
Addicted to browsing BE

goldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not sure why you are worried about your son turning 15 - but just so you know the kids don't have to be under 18 to be dependent - as long as they are unmarried and still in full-time education. So if your son is looking to do A-levels and then Uni or similar he would still be classed as dependent.
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 3:43 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chrisandsue
Thanks for your feedback, unfortunately I have not also got a degree but useful to know about only needing to do 1 year post experience.

With my eldest being 15 in a few months I was looking for a quicker route to permanent residency as opposed to the 457
It's probably time for you to get professional assistance but it's not clear how a 457 would help you get permanent residence any quicker.