Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

the ALL NEW SPARKLY contributory parents visa thread!!!

the ALL NEW SPARKLY contributory parents visa thread!!!

Old Mar 5th 2008, 9:52 am
Just Joined

ozdog is on a distinguished road
Default Re: the ALL NEW SPARKLY contributory parents visa thread!!!

Hello All

I was feeling a bit frustrated when advised of the delay (exchange rates going south didn't help) so I wrote to senator Chris Evans the Immigration Minister. I am still awaiting an acknowledgement, let alone a reply.
I did ask about the actual mechanics of the visa grant, anyone have any info?

Ozdog
Old Mar 5th 2008, 9:02 pm
An Australian Citizen !!

Jimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Sleeping Beauty
hi jim, hows life?

.......there is also the problem for a few CPV applicants where bonds have been lodged, mum/dads have been lodged for some 4 months now. this $14,000 could be sat in the assurers bank account earning interest. i think it is morally wrong to hold these monies until the visa looks likely it is going to be issued, i.e. after 01jul08. think of the interest that could have been earnt. the bond was lodged by the assurer who was under the impression the visa would follow shortly - this has not happened, as we all know

i would still like to know why these few applicants, where monies have changed hands, cannot have their visas issued. there can't be too many. i think there is 3 from this website. that is the reason that currently the case officers are not asking for the bond to be lodged at the same time as the medicals/police checks get requested (which used to be the case).

i wish there was someone else/a higher body that this situation could be brought to their attention to try and get it resolved. it is beyond poor
Hello M and Caz

We are well, thanks.............. and looking forward to our next Central Coast meet-up this Saturday - looks like there will be some new faces along as well.

Re DIAC holding monies etc - check this out: they have a Complaints (and Compliments !) Policy which you can view in their website and they are therefore "approachable" - www.immi.gov.au of course .

Plus - the Commonwealth Ombudsman also has a Complaints procedure - their website is www.comb.gov.au

Nothing ventured, nothing gained, as they say

Its difficult at times, I know, but keep

Jim
Old Mar 5th 2008, 9:06 pm
CazBeckham

CazBeckham is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Jimclevs
Hello M and Caz

We are well, thanks.............. and looking forward to our next Central Coast meet-up this Saturday - looks like there will be some new faces along as well.

Re DIAC holding monies etc - check this out: they have a Complaints (and Compliments !) Policy which you can view in their website and they are therefore "approachable" - www.immi.gov.au of course .

Plus - the Commonwealth Ombudsman also has a Complaints procedure - their website is www.comb.gov.au

Nothing ventured, nothing gained, as they say

Its difficult at times, I know, but keep

Jim
Thanks Jim but I think I will just wait and see what happens on July 1st if not sooner. Don't feel I want to rock the boat.

Will be interested to see if anyone does complain tho

Best

Caz
Old Mar 6th 2008, 11:03 am
BE Enthusiast

donovandenese will become famous soon enough

surprised that noone seems to have been allocated a case officer since December (unless I've missed someones posts) when they are still working on processing applications - although not granting visas.
Old Mar 6th 2008, 1:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

DaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to all

I thought people might be interested to know the following snippet of information taken from 'Australian Outloook' newspaper to which I prescribe. Lance Fee (who is I think an agent as he answers immigration questions) wrote an article in this month's paper about the increasing number of applications for the CPV. He reckons there are about 1,000 visas 'in limbo' waiting to be granted and that at the current rate of increase in the number of applications some parents could be waiting till 2010-11.
Old Mar 6th 2008, 1:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

donovandenese will become famous soon enough

Just saw that online myself - full text below....

Major shortfall for parent visas

By Lance Fee,
Director
Live Downunder UK

THE Department of Immigration and Citizenship have advised that the number of visas allocated for the Contributory Parent category for the 2007-08 programme year will be exhausted very shortly. There are approximately 7000 visa applicants waiting for a visa at the present time.
In the department's last annual report, it was revealed that the number of visa applications exceeded the visa grant rate by 230 visas per month. If this rate continues without any change to the allocation for this category, some applicants will be waiting until 2010-11 to have their visa granted.
In the first few months after the visa category was introduced, the average processing time was around nine months. The Minister has been asked to consider a lift to the parent visa numbers, but even if he agrees, the matter will need to go to a full cabinet meeting for approval.
The Contributory Parent visa is one where a parent can pay for health care up front currently around $31,555 per applicant. It was introduced by the last Government to pacify the outcry when it announced a cap of 500 visas per year for the General Parent visa category.
Those that have applied for the General Parent visa have a waiting time of around 20 years to obtain a visa under the current allocation.
When the Rudd Government was in Opposition, it condemned the Howard Government for placing such tight restrictions on the number of parent visa, so it will be interesting to see their reaction to the current situation.
The parent visa categories have always been a difficult issue for the Government of the day, as they must ensure that Australia's health system can cope, taking into account that there is a post war aging Australian baby boom population to be added to the equation.
However, with large increases to the numbers of skilled migrants coming into Australia, it is understandable that there will be a greater numbers of parents wanting to join their children. It is also understandable that many potential skilled migrants will want some assurance that their parents will be free to join them at some future date.
Old Mar 8th 2008, 8:17 am
An Australian Citizen !!

Jimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by CazBeckham
Thanks Jim but I think I will just wait and see what happens on July 1st if not sooner. Don't feel I want to rock the boat.

Will be interested to see if anyone does complain tho

Best

Caz
Hi Caz

Re the Assurance of Support payment:

It would surely be worth a phone call at least to either of those departments with a general "how do we stand in this current situation" type question - you probably wouldn't even need to quote your name etc ! In any event, they're not going to discriminate against you because you asked a couple of questions.

I just have a feeling that they are not logistically geared to issuing return cheques to people - sounds silly, I know, but some government departments work this way.

Up to you, of course, but I know I would do it

Regards

Jim

ps I bet SB has done it !
Old Mar 9th 2008, 1:43 am
Never going back

Sleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jimclevs
Hi Caz

Re the Assurance of Support payment:

It would surely be worth a phone call at least to either of those departments with a general "how do we stand in this current situation" type question - you probably wouldn't even need to quote your name etc ! In any event, they're not going to discriminate against you because you asked a couple of questions.

I just have a feeling that they are not logistically geared to issuing return cheques to people - sounds silly, I know, but some government departments work this way.

Up to you, of course, but I know I would do it

Regards

Jim

ps I bet SB has done it !
hi all, it seems as though another forum has quoted BE and this thread about getting the AoS bond back. i cant understand where they have got that information from as no post on here has mentioned about getting the bond back. it has been mentioned about complaining to a higher body, and how it is unjust that there are a certain few applicants are in the grey area, where the bond has been asked for and lodged, prior to POPC stopping that part of the process inconjunction with the medicals and police check requests.

july is not that far off, and even though this delay has caused yet more bumps along the road of migration, you all will get there in the end no it isnt right, and it has been mismanaged, and it is fustrating and upsetting to all those concerned. but, good things will come to those who wait - eventually!!!
Old Mar 10th 2008, 11:53 am
BE Enthusiast

DaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to all

Does anyone know if there is a waiting list for the temporary CPV (173)? And would it be possible to apply for this myself and then after 2 years apply for the permanent but add my husband to this?

Does the temporary visa entitle you to use Medicare? I have seen conflicting information. Information on the website relating to the above visa says:

You can have access to Australia's medical expenses and hospital care assistance scheme Medicare

However, advice on 'Living in Australia' says:

Most temporary visa holders are not eligible to enrol in Medicare...
Old Mar 10th 2008, 7:24 pm
Living the dream

tawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by DaveandLinda
Does anyone know if there is a waiting list for the temporary CPV (173)? And would it be possible to apply for this myself and then after 2 years apply for the permanent but add my husband to this?

Does the temporary visa entitle you to use Medicare? I have seen conflicting information. Information on the website relating to the above visa says:

You can have access to Australia's medical expenses and hospital care assistance scheme Medicare

However, advice on 'Living in Australia' says:

Most temporary visa holders are not eligible to enrol in Medicare...
Yes, you are entitled to medicare. There is a wait on the CPV's at the moment, they have been halted till July so there will be a bit of a backlog. You can still apply now tho!
Old Mar 10th 2008, 9:11 pm
Forum Regular

mollyflanders is a jewel in the roughmollyflanders is a jewel in the roughmollyflanders is a jewel in the roughmollyflanders is a jewel in the rough

we are on a temporary visa at present and came here on tourist visa in november got visa in january, had to go to auckland. you do get medicare on temp visa, but also you can get a temp medicare card when on tourist from uk. I only found that out when i went for our medicare card and had a couple of dr. receipts from when i was a tourist and i was told i could have had a card whilst s tourist, and she first did me a temp one and refunded my dr bills, or part of it. then gave me my two year medicare card
Old Mar 10th 2008, 9:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

ragtag is just really niceragtag is just really niceragtag is just really niceragtag is just really niceragtag is just really niceragtag is just really niceragtag is just really niceragtag is just really nice

Hi Dave and Linda
We are over in Oz just now on a temp. visa and we have used the medicare and had no problems.
Jan
Old Mar 11th 2008, 4:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

I was aware that granting of CPVs had come to a halt, but I wondered if this only applied to the permanent visas. Are temporary visas included in 3,500 visa quota then?

Originally Posted by tawkins1
Yes, you are entitled to medicare. There is a wait on the CPV's at the moment, they have been halted till July so there will be a bit of a backlog. You can still apply now tho!
Old Mar 11th 2008, 10:18 pm
An Australian Citizen !!

Originally Posted by DaveandLinda
I was aware that granting of CPVs had come to a halt, but I wondered if this only applied to the permanent visas. Are temporary visas included in 3,500 visa quota then?
Hi

I believe so, as most Temp visas are converted to permanent ones in due course (usually only used as a means of gaining time to save for the large 2nd VAC ) and otherwise most applicants would now also be choosing the Temp route to avoid the current halt in grants.

Hope that makes sense - it doesn't sound too clear now I've re-read it !
Regards

Jim
Old Mar 12th 2008, 2:22 am
Back to WA! Yay!

mark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud of

Does anyone know if I can I hand deliver my Contributary Parents 143 Visa Application to or do i really need to courier / post it?

Reason for it is to save some time as I am their sponsor and AOS so they are sending me all the docs in WA, for me to add my piece, and then deliver it.

I intend to take it in to Perth Offshore Parents Centre, Level 3, 166 Murray Street, Perth and get a receipt.

Anyone else taken theirs in personally?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.