Aged Parent Visa

Old Mar 22nd 2010, 1:52 am
Just Joined

northernbird13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Aged Parent Visa

Hello
I am wanting some advice on the best way to get my parents over permanently from the UK. My father is 65 and my mother 58 and so would be eligible to apply for the aged parent visa if in Australia when applying.
I am just wondering what would be the best temporary visa to come to Australia on which would then allow them to apply for the aged parent visa?
Also if they applied for this visa whilst on a temporary visa would they be granted a bridging visa? It's just I have read that this visa takes a very long time to process and it would be nice if they could stay in Australia whilst this is processed.
My parents do not have enough money to apply for the contributory parent visa but my mum would probably still want to work when over here.
Also would my father be able to claim his UK pension if they managed to get permanent residency in Australia?
Does anyone know how long this visa does take, is there really a waiting list of 10 years?
Any advice/information would be appreciated.
Old Mar 22nd 2010, 2:31 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Aged Parent Visa

The waiting list for non-contributory really is 10+ years. Do they meet balance of family test?

No money? Can they not release equity from house, etc?
Old Mar 22nd 2010, 2:58 am
Just Joined

Yes i think they meet family test as they only have 2 children. Obviously I am here (and am a PR) and my brother is in UK. The equity in their house would fund their retirement so without that they would not have much to live off.
The Aged parent visa seems to be the best option but 10 years is a long time. Can they not get a bridging visa once they have applied for it?
Old Mar 22nd 2010, 3:01 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northernbird13
The Aged parent visa seems to be the best option but 10 years is a long time. Can they not get a bridging visa once they have applied for it?
What visa have you in mind for them to move to Australia first, in order to apply onshore?

What's your plan for dealing with healthcare, etc?

What happens if their health declines in the next 10-15 years and they get refused?

What will be the impact on the health of living in a condition of marginal legality for a long time?
Old Mar 22nd 2010, 3:14 am
Just Joined

These are all things I need to look into and that my parents would have to consider before they made any final plans.
I am not sure if they would be covered under the reciprocal health care agreement or whether they would need private health insurance?
My mum is a nurse manager and possibly could get sponsored for work so then could come over on that temp visa. I am just not sure if she would be too old for this type of visa or whether she would be granted this under the special circumstance category.
Old Mar 22nd 2010, 3:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Another thing to consider, you mentioned your mother would want to work. But if there were a visa she could bridge to from a tourist visa, the conditions of the tourist visa would apply, meaning she would not be able to work.
Old Mar 22nd 2010, 5:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

hairart is just really nicehairart is just really nicehairart is just really nicehairart is just really nicehairart is just really nicehairart is just really nicehairart is just really nicehairart is just really nicehairart is just really nicehairart is just really nice

Originally Posted by northernbird13
These are all things I need to look into and that my parents would have to consider before they made any final plans.
I am not sure if they would be covered under the reciprocal health care agreement or whether they would need private health insurance?
My mum is a nurse manager and possibly could get sponsored for work so then could come over on that temp visa. I am just not sure if she would be too old for this type of visa or whether she would be granted this under the special circumstance category.

i have read somewhere that if she could bridge to from a tourist visa, the conditions of the tourist visa would apply, meaning she would not be able to work, but also the reciprocal health care agreement would still apply as it did with the tourist visa, until the parent visa was approved.
not sure if thats right though...