Advise on Aus Situation - Defacto or not?

Old Jul 28th 2005, 11:38 am
Just Joined

emmagallagher is an unknown quantity at this point
Red face Advise on Aus Situation - Defacto or not?

Hi all

I am really seeking advice in regards to my situation. I have been with my aus partner for two years now, we both live together in the UK and we are planning a big trip leaving in Nov, we're aiming to travel central and south america for 6 months or so and arrive in Aus (Melbourne) sometime in April. I think I adhere to all the rquirements for the defacto visa but I am not sure this is the best option for me for a number of reasons. Firstly, it seems quite costly and involves a lot of research. I am confident in regards to my relationship, but I have never been to AUS before so I am a bit hesitant to spend that much money if I don't like the place. Secondly I know I can get a working holiday visa initially and work towards a defacto.

I am just a bit confused what to do, my partner is encouraging me to opt for the defacto visa as he know's I'll probably want to stay longer than a year and it won't have any restraints on work plus his brothers partner is now applying for one in AUS and apparently it costs more over there!

If anyone could offer any advice I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks!
Em