advice on student vis

Old Jul 4th 2008, 2:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

stumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nice
Question advice on student vis

Hi, I am provisionally booked onto the welfare course in Nambour in July 09. We are going out end of May time to sort kids schools out, rental etc.....

However, I'm begining to have second thoughts on whether i'm doing the right course. Firstly because it is not on the demand list and secondly it is not on the government list of jobs for state sponsorship, so when it comes to applying for PR I would need the full 120 points, so basically it would rest on me working for 12mths in the job and passing all 4 areas in the ielts test! My english isn't bad, but it's a huge risk! (I know the whole student visa is a risk, but this is more risky!)

So, i'm back to thinking about hairdressing? I would only need 100 points as it is able to be state sponsored and i would gain more points from it being on the demand list. this wasn't my first choice of course originally but the more i think about it the more it makes sense. We've decided to make a new life in Oz, so a new career sounds good too.

I would be grateful for some advice on the hairdressing courses, i'm not sure where to go. we were looking at the sunshine coast because we have some friends there, but we don't really mind. We need to go where the best course is going to be in order for us to get PR at the end of it!

Also, am I right in thinking that the private hairdressing colleges include the 900hrs required work experience within the course? if this is the case, i wouldn't need a bridging visa would I? or have i got this all wrong???

Any info would be great PLEASE!!!!.............
Old Jul 4th 2008, 11:10 pm
Forum Regular

sharonmcallister is just really nicesharonmcallister is just really nicesharonmcallister is just really nicesharonmcallister is just really nicesharonmcallister is just really nicesharonmcallister is just really nicesharonmcallister is just really nicesharonmcallister is just really nicesharonmcallister is just really nicesharonmcallister is just really nice
Default Re: advice on student vis

Hi there, i am booked onto the hairdressing course at Clip Joint Hair academy in Adelaide starting October 2008.

we are going to adelaide as my sister has lived there for 8 years and is now a citizen. Adelaide is lovely, we have already been 3 times. My manager Robyn at Clip Joint has told me that you usually gain the 900 hours work experience required between 13 and 18 months into their course then you can apply for the tra assessment. The course the first year is monday - friday 9-5pm you get a friday afternoon off, then your are qualified to work as a hairdresser as you have your certificate then you go on in the second year to do your diploma in hairdressing and salon management. This is only monday to Wednesday in the second year so you could go out and work thursday, friday if you wanted to. She also said that they have salons in Adelaide waiting on trainees from clip joint once qualified so shouldnt be hard to get a part time job.

Also, as Adelaide is a designated area you get extra points for this too and then you could do the state sponsorship if you needed to.

I fyou need any further info just let me know, the course is pretty expensive its $33,000 all in for both years but this includes all your materials needed. I went to visit the college when I was over in january 2008 and it seemed really nice, they actually have a salon in the academy where people come in to have their hair done by you (after 6 months training I think she said).

Hope this helps,

Sharon
Old Jul 5th 2008, 3:31 pm
Just Joined

anitblue is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh no..... thats the course i am supposed to be going on, i was told that welfare officers are in short demand , and stefan told me i would most likely gain pR with that course. I havent actually registered yet, but spoke to an immi agent and he said that with family sponsorship i only need 100 points and that welfare officer is 60 points on SOL, and my sister in oz said no-one is going into that field of work and they are even advertising on telly to adopt a granny!!!!!!! Now i am confused.. cannot see myself as a hairdresser, the other options are pastry chef or horticulture (gardener) to many creepy crawlies for that!!!! I need to make a decision... tina
Old Jul 5th 2008, 5:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

stumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nice

Originally Posted by anitblue
Oh no..... thats the course i am supposed to be going on, i was told that welfare officers are in short demand , and stefan told me i would most likely gain pR with that course. I havent actually registered yet, but spoke to an immi agent and he said that with family sponsorship i only need 100 points and that welfare officer is 60 points on SOL, and my sister in oz said no-one is going into that field of work and they are even advertising on telly to adopt a granny!!!!!!! Now i am confused.. cannot see myself as a hairdresser, the other options are pastry chef or horticulture (gardener) to many creepy crawlies for that!!!! I need to make a decision... tina

Yes, you're right if you have a sponsor you do only need 100 points. However we don't have one! We don't have any family in Oz! Also it isn't on the Queensland government list for State sponsorship either. So for us we would need the full 120 points which unless i pass the english test, we won't make.

I would be worried the whole time. I need to know that there is almost 100% guarantee of PR at the end of it! So i've decided on a whole new career and go into hairdressing! It's only a year hairdressing anyway, the 2nd year is salon management. When you actually work it out the year is much less than that, it is an academic year, not a full year. Also, in hairdressing the 900hrs are built into the course so there's no need for an extra year to gain the experience for the visa.

I hope this helps! Probably has confused you even more! Sorry!
Old Jul 6th 2008, 12:55 am
BE Forum Addict

pumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anitblue
horticulture (gardener) to many creepy crawlies for that!!!!tina
I am doing horticulture and have been pleasantly suprised at just how few cheepy crawlies there are. The odd cockroach. I did get a job in a nursery though and went to pull out of a pot of soil what I thought was a gum leaf, until it pulled back!!! Horrible nasty huntsman spider, yuk yuk. Other than that, none.