Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Advice needed for electrician move to Perth

Advice needed for electrician move to Perth

Old Jan 16th 2014, 6:12 am
Just Joined

mitchwalsh88 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Advice needed for electrician move to Perth

Hi I'm new to site and was wondering if anyone could offer me some advice or tips on emigration (Quickest/Cheapest option). I'm a 25 year old electrician wanting to move to Perth. The facts I think I have right are that I need a TRA and will have to do a year training when I get there before gaining an A Grade Licence...? A few starting questions I have, is the working holiday visa best for me? Is it better to do the TRA in oz or UK? Can I get sponsored in my trade while training? Any information would be excellent as i'm getting bogged under with old information that has changed due to rule changes I realise I would have a year to find a sponsor if I go on a working hol visa

Many Thanks
Old Jan 16th 2014, 6:57 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice needed for electrician move to Perth

Originally Posted by mitchwalsh88
Hi I'm new to site and was wondering if anyone could offer me some advice or tips on emigration (Quickest/Cheapest option). I'm a 25 year old electrician wanting to move to Perth. The facts I think I have right are that I need a TRA and will have to do a year training when I get there before gaining an A Grade Licence...? A few starting questions I have, is the working holiday visa best for me? Is it better to do the TRA in oz or UK? Can I get sponsored in my trade while training? Any information would be excellent as i'm getting bogged under with old information that has changed due to rule changes I realise I would have a year to find a sponsor if I go on a working hol visa

Many Thanks
Hi Mitch,

If you are looking to emigrate to Australia, a WHV is not the way. You need to apply to RTO such as Vetassess for ORTC is you have enough evidence and training. This involves completing a Tradeset report, sending this and additional evidence (Quals, detailed references, etc) to RTO and if sufficient evidence is supplied the final step is a practical assessment. With a successful skills assessment, and enough points (check here - http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/booklets/1119.pdf) and English ability you can file an EoI to apply for a skilled PR visa.

If you only want to visit Australia temporarily, a WHV is an option. With no skills assessment and license you may be able to get trade assistant work, but the maximum time you can work for an employer is 6 months. If you come on a WHV and want to try and get a full license you could apply to TRA for ARTC, and if successful visit SA for wiring regs and apply in SA for A license. If you don't want to visit SA, even with ARTC you would need to find a RTO to do gap training (cost is around $2500 here in SA, not sure of other states) and log book for 12 months to qualify for A license (you may also need to do Capstone test in some states - not sure of cost). With all of that, if you then decided you wanted to move permanently you would need to re-apply to Vetassess for ORTC although I think they have removed the need to do practical if you have A license.

Lots of info above - shout if it's not clear
Old Jan 16th 2014, 7:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Emigration is not cheap and is not that quick either. A WHV is not migrating, it is a long holiday and you would be pretty lucky to land a sponsorship, this is uncommon in trades.

Personally I think skilled migration is the way to go if you are sure you want to emigrate. Having said that, a WHV might be a good idea if you want to look around and get a feel for the place.
Old Jan 16th 2014, 8:26 am
Just Joined

Sorry guys I wasn't clear before. Plan A would be to go on a WHV and find sponsorship. Plan B is to go down the skilled PR visa route but I been told that can take between 12-18 months? I've recently come back from visiting friends and they seem to think that once your there you have a good chance of getting sponsored. I'd be happy to work as a TA until I get an A Grade if I could get sponsored. I know theres no instant way of getting there but wanted to know if it is cheaper to do a TRA in the UK or oz? If i decide to do it there I could come out sooner. Thanks for the info :-)
Old Jan 16th 2014, 8:31 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry guys I wasn't clear before. Plan A would be to go on a WHV and find sponsorship. Plan B is to go down the skilled PR visa route but I been told that can take between 12-18 months? I've recently come back from visiting friends and they seem to think that once your there you have a good chance of getting sponsored. I'd be happy to work as a TA until I get an A Grade if I could get sponsored. I know theres no instant way of getting there but wanted to know if it is cheaper to do a TRA in the UK or oz? If i decide to do it there I could come out sooner. Thanks for the info :-)
If you are asking about the ARTC, it's not possible to apply outside of Australia - http://www.innovation.gov.au/skills/...s/default.aspx

If you want ORTC, you can apply from the UK, but then you will need to wait and do the practical . Vetassess fees here - http://www.vetassess.com.au/migrate_...es_payment.cfm

Other RTO's for ORTC would be Victoria University and Future Skills
Old Jan 16th 2014, 8:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Do your friends have any actual personal experience of electricians finding sponsorship? Sometimes people just make these assumptions that it is easier than it really is so I was just wondering.

In fact companies have to go through quite a rigorous process before the can sponsor, including demonstrating that they could not find any Australian or permanent resident to do the job and they also have commitments such as ensuring that a % of either revenue or expenses is spent on training for Australians.
Old Jan 16th 2014, 8:58 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
If you are asking about the ARTC, it's not possible to apply outside of Australia - http://www.innovation.gov.au/skills/...s/default.aspx

If you want ORTC, you can apply from the UK, but then you will need to wait and do the practical . Vetassess fees here - http://www.vetassess.com.au/migrate_...es_payment.cfm

Other RTO's for ORTC would be Victoria University and Future Skills
I think the ORTC is best for me and do it in the UK, once I get that I can come over on a WHV get a restricted licence and try and find sponsorship. If that doesn't work out and I have to come home I can always then go for the skilled PR visa. Do you think that sounds ok, or do you think it's better to do everything here and then come over? I've been to expo's and been told I have enough points it's just a case of going through the process. Thank you for you help
Old Jan 16th 2014, 9:03 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
Do your friends have any actual personal experience of electricians finding sponsorship? Sometimes people just make these assumptions that it is easier than it really is so I was just wondering.

In fact companies have to go through quite a rigorous process before the can sponsor, including demonstrating that they could not find any Australian or permanent resident to do the job and they also have commitments such as ensuring that a % of either revenue or expenses is spent on training for Australians.
All three of them have found sponsorship in different trades but none as electrician's so I do take it with a pinch of salt. I know i'd be driving around nagging companies to give me a chance and prove myself.
Old Jan 16th 2014, 9:09 am

All three of them have found sponsorship in different trades but none as electrician's so I do take it with a pinch of salt. I know i'd be driving around nagging companies to give me a chance and prove myself.
How do you intend to support yourself whilst job hunting - took me 5 months to find work, and similar for other sparkies that did gap training the same time as me
Old Jan 16th 2014, 9:17 am
Just Joined

How do you intend to support yourself whilst job hunting - took me 5 months to find work, and similar for other sparkies that did gap training the same time as me
I have a small amout i've saved but was assuming i'd find a TA job without much difficultly, everyone I met while out there said there's lots of jobs because of all the construction and if failling to get a job in Perth theres's always the mines which other friends with no trades have managed to get jobs without problems.
Old Jan 16th 2014, 9:27 am

I have a small amout i've saved but was assuming i'd find a TA job without much difficultly, everyone I met while out there said there's lots of jobs because of all the construction and if failling to get a job in Perth theres's always the mines which other friends with no trades have managed to get jobs without problems.
You need certain tickets for mines I thought.

There's a few threads in the electricians forum about trying to find work in WA - http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=97
Old Jan 16th 2014, 9:52 am
Just Joined

You need certain tickets for mines I thought.

There's a few threads in the electricians forum about trying to find work in WA - http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=97
You do but think its just 4 day coarse, it differs between agencies. Thanks for the link, i'm starting the think PR visa(189) is the better option did you go through that?
Old Jan 16th 2014, 9:55 am

Thanks. I'm starting to think Plan B would be better
If you do the ORTC before leaving the UK, you will be helping yourself on either route. You need to make sure you read through the advice notes on Vetassess to make sure you have the evidence they need.

I'm on a 176 visa here in Adelaide, but went through the ORTC and gap training - still working on the logbook