ACS Hints and Tips

Old Jul 14th 2008, 8:54 am
Forum Regular

glennmatchett is an unknown quantity at this point
Default ACS Hints and Tips

Hello everyone, I am putting together my documentation for my ACS documentation, I was wondering if anyone has any tips for this process at $400 aus a go I want to try to get it right first time.

Any one that has been through this process before it would be good to hear how you supplied the information, layout what documentations you sent etc,

And if there is anyone reading this going through the same process it would be good to know what sort of information your planning on sending.

Regards
Glenn
Old Jul 14th 2008, 11:10 am
Forum Regular

kali is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: ACS Hints and Tips

Originally Posted by glennmatchett
Hello everyone, I am putting together my documentation for my ACS documentation, I was wondering if anyone has any tips for this process at $400 aus a go I want to try to get it right first time.

Any one that has been through this process before it would be good to hear how you supplied the information, layout what documentations you sent etc,

And if there is anyone reading this going through the same process it would be good to know what sort of information your planning on sending.

Regards
Glenn
Some remarks I got when I was making my application for Java (nec) MODL

-All data, start and end dates, job titles, short summary etc, in CV should be exactly as the data in the reference letters.
In my reference letters I was a senior R&D engineer in my CV it just said R&D engineer, so I had to change my CV.

-Use strict start and end dates.
My current employer had to redo the reference letter because it said start 01 October 2001 until present. Had to be Start 01 October 2001 until 01 November 2007 and continuing.

I was lucky since I had to write my own reference letters and the employers signed.
This is what it contained:
-My personal details
-Contract details
Job title
Type of contract + hours worked per week
reason of termination of contract
- Detailed job description
- Extremely detailed demonstrated knowledge
Development languages
Development tools + hardware on which we developed
Software used that is not part of the development tools
I am an embedded developer so I also added all the target hardware including chipsets for whatever I was doing (WLAN, GSM, I2C, home made CPU's + their OS ....)
-Detailed roles, responsibilities and achievements

In general it was about 4-5 pages per reference letter.
I have no idea how technologically capable those ACS persons are, but get some logic into it. If you claim to be a network developer you should have used some sniffers, if you are a java developer you most likely have used ant, junit etc.

Maybe I went over the top, but I got it without any problems
Old Jul 14th 2008, 11:37 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for that kali,

I am a bit worried about the company referance letter because, it was hard enough getting a letter from them with just the basic info on never mind start date untill XX XX 08 and continuing maybe I should add in a note regarding that ( the one that you sign saying this is the truth I forget what it is called)

eitehr that if i put in copies of payslips to dat do you think that will do?
Old Jul 14th 2008, 11:49 am
Forum Regular

kali is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for that kali,

I am a bit worried about the company referance letter because, it was hard enough getting a letter from them with just the basic info on never mind start date untill XX XX 08 and continuing maybe I should add in a note regarding that ( the one that you sign saying this is the truth I forget what it is called)

There are some other options, like having a colleague make reference letters, but I never had to go into that route. Don't take this as true.
You can have a search on British Expats about this, I am sure I've read some threads about it.

As I used a (good) agent, I have no idea about forms and the likes, I just signed, put in an envelope and called UPS to get the papers.
Old Jul 14th 2008, 3:25 pm
Forum Regular

FionaandAndrew is just really niceFionaandAndrew is just really niceFionaandAndrew is just really niceFionaandAndrew is just really niceFionaandAndrew is just really niceFionaandAndrew is just really niceFionaandAndrew is just really niceFionaandAndrew is just really niceFionaandAndrew is just really nice

Thanks for that kali,

I got a general employment reference stating basics like start date and full time etc on company letter head. Then I got my line manager to do me one with more detail on - what exactly my job entails, this was not on company letter head as had to be a personal reference.

Worked ok.
You just need to get all dates accounted for.

However I do understand that you might not want your line manager to know.
It could be someone else more senior in the company that you could trust not to say anything, and who could verify your role.
Old Jul 16th 2008, 12:49 pm
Forum Regular

I am just filling out my Skills Assessment Form and I was curious to know from others that have filled in this form how much information they put in the "Details(responsibilities etc) " bit.

did you just put the basic info in this area and then cover more of it in your resume or did you put a lot of info in this section?

hope you can help
Old Jul 16th 2008, 1:38 pm
Forum Regular

TheImmigrant is an unknown quantity at this point

I am just filling out my Skills Assessment Form and I was curious to know from others that have filled in this form how much information they put in the "Details(responsibilities etc) " bit.

did you just put the basic info in this area and then cover more of it in your resume or did you put a lot of info in this section?

hope you can help
here are my responsibilities for my current company in ACS form

Analysis, design & development
Product support.
C#, ASP.net, Biometric
Old Jul 16th 2008, 2:10 pm
Forum Regular

Excellent so in your resume you just worte more about your job function then what you did etc,

I was not sure if I should keep it breif or long for that section I think I will go for somthign like yours it is much better
Old Jul 29th 2008, 9:15 am
Forum Regular

Okay I think I have everything that I need now to get this application off.

I was wondering, if you send colour photocopies do they still have to be verified by a soliciter or somthing? or is that just standard black and white copies?

also there are two addresses on the form is there any differience between which one you send it to?

thanks in advace
Old Jul 29th 2008, 9:54 am
Forum Regular

paultaking is an unknown quantity at this point

Okay I think I have everything that I need now to get this application off.

I was wondering, if you send colour photocopies do they still have to be verified by a soliciter or somthing? or is that just standard black and white copies?

also there are two addresses on the form is there any differience between which one you send it to?

thanks in advace
You'll need to get all your photocopies certified (when you do the actual visa application online, you can upload colour copies without having them certified. But for the ACS skills assessment, everything must be certified).

Ring round a few local solicitors to get the best quote - I found one that did the lot for £5 - they just did it in reception, without needing to get a solicitor involved. Seems pretty pointless to me, but as long as the documents have got an official stamp with date and signature, that seems to be enough to keep the ACS happy!

I'm not sure if it matters which address you send the application to. The only reference I could find is in the FAQ section on the ACS website, which says that you should send registered mail to the Queen Victoria Building address, or courier it to the Clarence Street one. I sent mine by DHL document express (booked via http://www.interparcel.com/), and sent it to Clarence Street.

Think that's everything - one other bit of advice: if you're paying by credit card, give your card company a ring first and tell them you're expecting a payment to the ACS. Means there's less chance of the payment being bounced by their anti-fraud measures.

Paul
Old Jul 29th 2008, 10:10 am
Forum Regular

Thanks Paul - Will get the documents all signed then.

How long did it take for you to get your documentation assessed if you don’t mind me asking
Old Jul 29th 2008, 10:27 am
Forum Regular

paultaking is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Paul - Will get the documents all signed then.

How long did it take for you to get your documentation assessed if you don’t mind me asking
Total time was about 10 weeks (sent off the application on April 7th, and received the results letter on June 17th).

Allowing for postage times, that means the ACS took about 8 weeks to do the assessment (which is better than their "official" statement of 12 weeks!)
Old Jul 30th 2008, 8:42 am
Forum Regular

I am nearly there I think, just going to get my papaer work stamped by a solicitor and then post the documents.

Did anyone lay out your form in a particular way at all?

also when you sent payment Do they take Switch, because they have a box for "Bankcard" "Mastercard" and "Cheque" but I only have cheaque or Switch bank card on me so has anyone else payed by switch, I only ask because i dont want it going over there only to find they cant do anything with the form untill payment has been made.

thanks again everyone for your help