ACS Assessment for IT Contractor

Old Jun 20th 2016, 11:47 am
Just Joined

jandenkins is an unknown quantity at this point
Default ACS Assessment for IT Contractor

Hi All,

Another question as I try to get the ball rolling on my 189 visa application.

I'm reading up on the ACS assessment and am concerned about the requirements for the employment references.

I've been an IT contractor for 20 or so years and clearly have the experience necessary to fulfill the skills piece but getting the employment references to prove this may be difficult. Most of my work has been as an IT contractor for financial institutions who will only give the most basic of references stating yes, such and such worked here between xx and xx with job title xxx. Thats it. Thats all they will give. :-/

On top of the above, as a contractor, its normal to work in a given contract for 2 years or so and then move on so I'll have more than 10 contracts to list as experience. I doubt anyone at some of these companies that knew me would recall that I was there many years ago. Even if there are individuals who remember me as an individual, the job spec and list of duties will be hard to collate!

Has anyone got any advice on how I can go about proving these job roles and what I did there?

Also, how many of these roles do you think I need to list? My degree was in electronic engineering so I think it will count as ICT minor so I need 4 years of work after that before my experience is counted as skilled work? Therefore I'd need to go back 12 years, not the full 20 years of experience I have? I that how it works?

Any guidance on this aspect would be most appreciated again.

Thanks
Dan
Old Jun 21st 2016, 1:57 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ACS Assessment for IT Contractor

Originally Posted by jandenkins
Hi All,

Another question as I try to get the ball rolling on my 189 visa application.

I'm reading up on the ACS assessment and am concerned about the requirements for the employment references.

I've been an IT contractor for 20 or so years and clearly have the experience necessary to fulfill the skills piece but getting the employment references to prove this may be difficult. Most of my work has been as an IT contractor for financial institutions who will only give the most basic of references stating yes, such and such worked here between xx and xx with job title xxx. Thats it. Thats all they will give. :-/

On top of the above, as a contractor, its normal to work in a given contract for 2 years or so and then move on so I'll have more than 10 contracts to list as experience. I doubt anyone at some of these companies that knew me would recall that I was there many years ago. Even if there are individuals who remember me as an individual, the job spec and list of duties will be hard to collate!

Has anyone got any advice on how I can go about proving these job roles and what I did there?

Also, how many of these roles do you think I need to list? My degree was in electronic engineering so I think it will count as ICT minor so I need 4 years of work after that before my experience is counted as skilled work? Therefore I'd need to go back 12 years, not the full 20 years of experience I have? I that how it works?

Any guidance on this aspect would be most appreciated again.

Thanks
Dan
Hi Dan - were you employed by these companies, or were you self employed?

ACS have info here - https://www.acs.org.au/__data/assets...Applicants.pdf
Old Jun 22nd 2016, 5:14 pm
Just Joined

jandenkins is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: ACS Assessment for IT Contractor

Hi old.sparkles,

Thanks for the reply. I was self employed for most of them.

I had read that information for applicants and that's what prompted my questions! I think I was in shock that it was going to be so onerous!

Has anyone got any experience of my situation as a contractor with multiple clients over the years in financial services that are unlikely to provide a full 'reference'?

I've been through my job history list and there are very few places left that actually have anyone working at them that I still know (or know me). I therefore seem to be in a situation where I have to get whatever I can from the company (end client) confirming I worked there and look to get an affidavit from a 'senior' colleague (who may have moved on elsewhere).

What about agencies? Do they need to be involved as in almost all contracts, an agency was involved.

Thanks
Dan