ACS Assessment - 6yrs starts from..?

Old Jul 14th 2005, 8:14 am
Forum Regular

brutus has a brilliant futurebrutus has a brilliant futurebrutus has a brilliant futurebrutus has a brilliant futurebrutus has a brilliant futurebrutus has a brilliant future
Default ACS Assessment - 6yrs starts from..?

Hi,

I have an non-IT BSc(Hons) from Queens University Belfast.

I've been working in IT since Jan 2000, I did a post graduate non uni course here in Belfast that gave IT training and then 6 months work experience with a company.

I did 3 MCP's at that time.

I continued working for different companies and got my MCSD in Feb 2001.
Still work in IT and except for a break of 3 months I will have been working for 6 yrs in Mar 2006.

Now the Questions....

Can I include the 6 mths work experience towards the 6 yrs total working experience?

Or does that Work Experience only start from the period I got my MCSD, i.e. Feb 2001?

Does the 6 yrs have to be actual working, or do I have to exclude the 3 months I was off travelling in the middle?

Just trying to work out exactly when I can apply.

Thanks in advance,
B
Old Jul 14th 2005, 8:55 am
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ACS Assessment - 6yrs starts from..?

Originally Posted by brutus
Can I include the 6 mths work experience towards the 6 yrs total working experience?

Or does that Work Experience only start from the period I got my MCSD, i.e. Feb 2001?

Does the 6 yrs have to be actual working, or do I have to exclude the 3 months I was off travelling in the middle?
Not sure about the work experience. ACS insist on 'relavant professional experience', so you would have to prove that this was at a professional level, which might be difficult.

Work experience before you gained the MCSD is acceptable.

Yes, you need to have 6 years actual working time. If you were employed by the same company either side of the 3 month break then perhaps you could get away with calling this 'annual leave' but otherwise ACS will look at it as a period when you weren't working.
Old Jul 14th 2005, 9:47 am
Forum Regular

brutus has a brilliant futurebrutus has a brilliant futurebrutus has a brilliant futurebrutus has a brilliant futurebrutus has a brilliant futurebrutus has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by wmoore
Not sure about the work experience. ACS insist on 'relavant professional experience', so you would have to prove that this was at a professional level, which might be difficult.

Work experience before you gained the MCSD is acceptable.

Yes, you need to have 6 years actual working time. If you were employed by the same company either side of the 3 month break then perhaps you could get away with calling this 'annual leave' but otherwise ACS will look at it as a period when you weren't working.
Thanks for the reply.

I essentially worked as a web developer during the work experience and actually coded sites in VB, ASP and SQL, all be it at a basic level, so I would comfortably say that was at a professional level, comparable to anyone beginning their first job. And my reference states as such, so hopefully that will be ok.

It is only 6 months like, so I can wait that period, seeing as I've been waiting flippin years already.

Pity about the 3 month break.

I will apply for assessment in March anyway, can you apply more than once and how much does it cost?

B
Old Jul 14th 2005, 10:12 am
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the reply.

I essentially worked as a web developer during the work experience and actually coded sites in VB, ASP and SQL, all be it at a basic level, so I would comfortably say that was at a professional level, comparable to anyone beginning their first job. And my reference states as such, so hopefully that will be ok.

It is only 6 months like, so I can wait that period, seeing as I've been waiting flippin years already.

Pity about the 3 month break.

I will apply for assessment in March anyway, can you apply more than once and how much does it cost?

B
Yes you can apply more than once. Current costs will be on the ACS web site but I paid $400 first time around for RPL and $350 second time for 'regular' skills assessment.

Good luck.
Old Jul 14th 2005, 10:14 am
Forum Regular

Yes you can apply more than once. Current costs will be on the ACS web site but I paid $400 first time around for RPL and $350 second time for 'regular' skills assessment.

Good luck.
Good luck to yourself, hope you'll keep us updated with your progress.

What age are you?
Old Jul 14th 2005, 10:20 am
What's happening dudes?

Good luck to yourself, hope you'll keep us updated with your progress.

What age are you?
32. There is a link to my progress in my signature. I 'got it' last week We'll be flying into Brisbane next weekend.
Old Jul 14th 2005, 10:34 am
Forum Regular

32. There is a link to my progress in my signature. I 'got it' last week We'll be flying into Brisbane next weekend.
I was talking more of your progress when you get there, finding jobs etc

So all the best for that, sunny Brisbane awaits ya lucky b@stard
Old Jul 14th 2005, 10:39 am
What's happening dudes?

I was talking more of your progress when you get there, finding jobs etc

So all the best for that, sunny Brisbane awaits ya lucky b@stard
Hehehe Thanks, will do!