Accountants - experience query

Old Mar 7th 2009, 2:33 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Accountants - experience query

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
Why would anyone want to become CA though if they already have an accountancy qualification albeit a different one? I have contacted a couple of the big recruitment agencies to see how the land lies and have been told ACCA is just fine for employers.
It is usually an advantage to have a local qualification, as opposed to (or in addition to) a foreign one.

Smaller employers may not know, or want to know, about non-Australian qualifications. And it could well act as a barrier to progress in larger corporations too, if individuals making hiring/promotion decisions have a similar view.
Old Mar 8th 2009, 5:13 pm
Forum Regular

ScottishJen is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JAJ
It is usually an advantage to have a local qualification, as opposed to (or in addition to) a foreign one.

Smaller employers may not know, or want to know, about non-Australian qualifications. And it could well act as a barrier to progress in larger corporations too, if individuals making hiring/promotion decisions have a similar view.
I've still to finish my research on how CIMA etc translates specifically to Australia, so I'll reply fully when I have more info to hand, but here's the response I got when I emailed an Accountancy recruitment agency in Sydney and asked how popular ACCA/CIMA are over there:

"To answer your questions, the most recognized qualification is the ICAA (Australian Chartered Accountants program) and to be eligible you will need to get your overseas degree assessed to local standards. Depending upon the results of this assessment, you may need to do a few bridging courses (4 technical modules) although this isn’t always necessary.
You will then need to be working within a Chartered firm for a minimum of 6 months before you are eligible to enroll into the course.
Alternatively you can do the CPA course, but to work within a larger firm this will seriously hamper your efforts at securing a role."

As with the UK bodies, the recommended path seems to depend who you are speaking to, but this guy implies that larger firms prefer the CA route...
Old Mar 8th 2009, 6:07 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ScottishJen
I've still to finish my research on how CIMA etc translates specifically to Australia, so I'll reply fully when I have more info to hand, but here's the response I got when I emailed an Accountancy recruitment agency in Sydney and asked how popular ACCA/CIMA are over there:

"To answer your questions, the most recognized qualification is the ICAA (Australian Chartered Accountants program) and to be eligible you will need to get your overseas degree assessed to local standards. Depending upon the results of this assessment, you may need to do a few bridging courses (4 technical modules) although this isn’t always necessary.
You will then need to be working within a Chartered firm for a minimum of 6 months before you are eligible to enroll into the course.
Alternatively you can do the CPA course, but to work within a larger firm this will seriously hamper your efforts at securing a role."

As with the UK bodies, the recommended path seems to depend who you are speaking to, but this guy implies that larger firms prefer the CA route...
CA is the most preferred qualification. Followed by CPA.

CA is especially popular in public practice, but you can also do CA while working for a corporation (contrary to the suggestion above).

CIMA members can currently become CPA by mutual recognition:
http://www.cpaaustralia.com.au/cps/r...4_ENA_HTML.htm