Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Accountant Skills Assessment help (CIMA Finalist)

Accountant Skills Assessment help (CIMA Finalist)

Old Feb 24th 2008, 8:53 am
Just Joined

Sam_ is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Accountant Skills Assessment help (CIMA Finalist)

Thanks for all your replies. Points taken re: needing post qualification experience to be sure but I'm hopeful I can demonstrate what is required and give it a go! I can't face another years wait!!

I can certainly demonstrate that my salary pre-qualification was at least comparable to that of a post qualification candidate so that might help. I get on well with my current and previous boss as well and I'm sure they will include in their letters that the work I was doing was at least comparable - surely this must weigh heavily in my favour?

As you all know as well there are two elements to becoming ACMA, passing exams and gaining the appropriate work experience. I had my practical experience assessed and approved by CIMA over a year ago before I finished exams - I personally take this to mean that at that point CIMA judged me to have all the practical skills required to be a professional Accountant and as I have worked for over a year since I am hopeful that they will also take this into account. I know a lot of people get their experience assessed only after passing exams so that the ACMA dates and practical assessment dates coincide - is that what you guys did?

By the way, are the work experience requirements to gain the 10 points (3 of the past 4 years experience) the same as the MODL 15 points (1 year experience)? If the 3 years experience requirements are not as stringent re: post qualification experience then at least I can gain those 10 points which along with the English proficiency would be enough. I have been employed specifically under the job title 'accountant' for the past 3 years so I still just about believe it can happen, I am an optimist though!
Old Feb 24th 2008, 11:35 am
Forum Regular

gunners1 will become famous soon enough

OMG!!! I am also worried now!!

I am ACCA qualified (letters Nov 2006). Applied in May 2007 had a positive skill assessment from ICAA. I have over 7 years experience in a pharma company. I did not have 12 months post qual experience when I applied, but obviously do now. The role that I was doing when i applied is the same as after, so it was at a qualified level

I have in total claimed 130 points including 10 bonus points.So even if they refuse me the 10 bonus points I will get 120 which should be enough.

Is the DIAC rules that rigid that they would refuse me on a small technicality that I only had 6 months post qual experience when I applied rather than the 12 months. Surely they look at these each application on a case by case basis.

Ay comments appreciated.
Old Feb 24th 2008, 2:16 pm
Just Joined

Has anyone considered state sponsorship to gain the additional points? Melbourne and Brisbane don't have Accountants included on their lists though, unless you want to go regional.
Old Feb 24th 2008, 2:41 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sam_
Thanks for all your replies. Points taken re: needing post qualification experience to be sure but I'm hopeful I can demonstrate what is required and give it a go! I can't face another years wait!!

I can certainly demonstrate that my salary pre-qualification was at least comparable to that of a post qualification candidate so that might help. I get on well with my current and previous boss as well and I'm sure they will include in their letters that the work I was doing was at least comparable - surely this must weigh heavily in my favour?

As you all know as well there are two elements to becoming ACMA, passing exams and gaining the appropriate work experience. I had my practical experience assessed and approved by CIMA over a year ago before I finished exams - I personally take this to mean that at that point CIMA judged me to have all the practical skills required to be a professional Accountant and as I have worked for over a year since I am hopeful that they will also take this into account. I know a lot of people get their experience assessed only after passing exams so that the ACMA dates and practical assessment dates coincide - is that what you guys did?

By the way, are the work experience requirements to gain the 10 points (3 of the past 4 years experience) the same as the MODL 15 points (1 year experience)? If the 3 years experience requirements are not as stringent re: post qualification experience then at least I can gain those 10 points which along with the English proficiency would be enough. I have been employed specifically under the job title 'accountant' for the past 3 years so I still just about believe it can happen, I am an optimist though!
Work experience requirements for:

- basic requirements
- MODL points
- work experience points

are exactly the same in principle, except that for basic requirements it does not have to be in the same SOL occupation as work experience.

Being optimistic and hopeful isn't going to impress DIAC in the slightest. Nor is CIMA's view of qualifying work experience (which is actually work experience to become qualified).

If you are serious about applying before you have the relevant amount of post-qualification experience, it would be folly to do so without good professional assistance. Maybe try Alan Collett?
Old Feb 24th 2008, 2:45 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gunners1

I am ACCA qualified (letters Nov 2006). Applied in May 2007 had a positive skill assessment from ICAA. I have over 7 years experience in a pharma company. I did not have 12 months post qual experience when I applied, but obviously do now. The role that I was doing when i applied is the same as after, so it was at a qualified level

I have in total claimed 130 points including 10 bonus points.So even if they refuse me the 10 bonus points I will get 120 which should be enough.

Is the DIAC rules that rigid that they would refuse me on a small technicality that I only had 6 months post qual experience when I applied rather than the 12 months. Surely they look at these each application on a case by case basis.

Ay comments appreciated.
If you don't meet the basic requirements you will be refused before they even look at points.

I would recommend to get some professional assistance to review your case and see if additional evidence is needed to show that you have at least 12 months skilled work experience before you applied.

Work experience after application does not count.
Old Feb 24th 2008, 4:26 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by JAJ
Work experience requirements for:

- basic requirements
- MODL points
- work experience points

are exactly the same in principle, except that for basic requirements it does not have to be in the same SOL occupation as work experience.

Being optimistic and hopeful isn't going to impress DIAC in the slightest. Nor is CIMA's view of qualifying work experience (which is actually work experience to become qualified).

If you are serious about applying before you have the relevant amount of post-qualification experience, it would be folly to do so without good professional assistance. Maybe try Alan Collett?
Funnily enough I wasn't expecting being optimistic to sway the minds of DIAC at all. Rather I meant it in the manner that I am optimistic that common sense will prevail.

Re: CIMA practical assessment. Yes I understand that the practical experience being assessed is to become qualified and is not qualifying experience itself. However, I do disagree that it is irrelevant as my view on the assessment is that by approving my practical experience CIMA are stating that 'at that point in time' I have built up enough knowledge in a practical sense to be sufficient for a professional skilled Accountant (from that time onwards) - as they approved my practical experience over a year ago this might be useful as I believe that constituents a years skilled experience.

I guess the point I am making is that the more information I can gather to back up my case the better. Together with letters from my current and previous employer clearly stating that the work I have done is that of a skilled professional Accountant and is absolutely comparable, it may help.
Old Feb 24th 2008, 4:28 pm
JAJ
Retired

Funnily enough I wasn't expecting being optimistic to sway the minds of DIAC at all. Rather I meant it in the manner that I am optimistic that common sense will prevail.

I guess the point I am making is that the more information I can gather to back up my case the better. Together with letters from my current and previous employer clearly stating that the work I have done is that of a skilled professional Accountant and is absolutely comparable, it may help.
It may help. Or it may not. Visa applications are not decided based on "common sense."

Your choice obviously as to how you wish to proceed. But you should familiarise yourself with the ASCO skill requirements for Accountant and see whether you fit in or not.

You can find the ASCO at http://www.abs.gov.au
Old Feb 24th 2008, 4:51 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Alan Collett
Hi Jeremy.

The CVs I see from CIMA qualifieds (and CIMA finalists) indicate the nature of the roles they are in is not markedly different from those who have passed their exams. Indeed, many take a number of years to qualify, but perform advanced accounting functions with their employers before becoming a member of their professional body.

I sense this is because such individuals are working in industry.

This tends to be a different scenario to those who are working in practice and who are studying for membership of the ICAEW, ICAS, ACCA, etc. In my experience (both personally, and in an advisory capacity) individuals tend to be learning their profession in the lead up to qualification and membership.

The challenge of course is satisfying the Department of Immigration case officer that the work has been skilled. The tendency (dare I say - easy way out?) is to say only work experience post qualification is skilled and capable of being considered towards threshold work experience. I would dispute that.

Best regards.
Hi Alan. I Would be grateful for your view on my own situation and how I should proceed on satisfying the 1 year work experience requirement.

I became ACMA qualified only in January 2008. Therefore strictly adhering to the post-qual experience rule I would have to wait until next Jan before I can apply.

However:

1. I have been employed specifically as an 'accountant' for the past 3-4 years. Both my current and previous employers will happily provide letters detailing my work experience with them and clearly specifically stating that the work I carried out and the salary paid was comparable with that of a qualified CIMA accountant.

2. My CIMA practical assessment was approved back in February 2007. I may struggle to prove this but my view on that is that it demonstrates that my experience at the time was deemed to be satistfactory enough to be assessed as (from that point onwards) that of a skilled professional Accountant.

Do you think it's worth going for it on this basis - surely the letters from employers should count for a lot? My current employer is a well known global financial institution so they shouldn't have any reason to doubt the authenticity.

Thanks.
Old Feb 25th 2008, 12:41 am
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

I have been seeking clarification from the Department of Immigration for several weeks on the assessment of accountants and the question of skilled work experience. I followed this up yesterday with Skilled Policy in DIAC Central Office, and will advise here upon receipt of a substantive reply.

Best regards.
Old Feb 25th 2008, 4:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

NikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan Collett
I have been seeking clarification from the Department of Immigration for several weeks on the assessment of accountants and the question of skilled work experience. I followed this up yesterday with Skilled Policy in DIAC Central Office, and will advise here upon receipt of a substantive reply.

Best regards.
Thanks Alan, I think there will be a fair few people interested in the answer.
Old Feb 25th 2008, 6:17 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Luke Brown
Hi Sam,

You are in the same situation as me. Only difference is that I have a degree although it is in no way relevant to accounting so not really helping me much!

From all the advice I've had DIAC will only recognise that you've been working at a skilled level from the point that you get your letters. This has also been the same for Niki on here too, who had to wait the extra 12 months. Once you've got 12 months post qualification experience you will then meet the basic requirements and also get the extra 15 points for MODL which will bring you up to 120 points.

I got my letters last December so it's another 10 months before I can apply. In the meantime however you can apply to get your skills accessed (I'm going to use ICAA) and get all the certified documents etc ready.

Bear in mind that this is only the advice I've received. If you have letters of proof etc from past employers you may want to speak to an agent and see if anything is different in your case? Let me know how you get on!
Hi Luke,

I phoned DIAC last night and was told that if I was able to get my practical experience pre-qualification assessed by the NIA (for example) as being 'skilled' then along with the appropriate references I 'might' be alright. Frankly, I have no idea if the NIA will even consider doing this so might be a non starter but I've sent them an e-mail so will let you know what they say. I must stress though that DIAC were quite non committal and there are no guarantees I know but I'm considering giving it a go and applying, if I can persuade the NIA to assess my experience that is.
Old Feb 25th 2008, 6:19 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by NikiL
First off congrats on qualifying - I gather Merbatty wasn't a particularly nice one to sit.

As far as I can gather the pre qualification experience tends to be quite a contentious area to prove, although salary etc does tend to be a factor looked at.

English Language proficiency however as far as I can tell has to be through IELTS - and believe me having sat CIMA you would find IELTS a walk in the park. You just need to familiarise yourself with the style - its nothing like CIMA! I spent about 3-4 hours going through their format and that was enough for me to get through it, but I would strongly recommend that nobody goes into IELTS completely blind.
Thanks for the congrats by the way, it's certainly nice to be able to finally put the luxury yacht industry behind me. At least until I win the lottery.....
Old Feb 25th 2008, 6:22 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by gunners1

Ay comments appreciated.
Hopefully they will accept it, you would think that if they had an issue with it they would have let you know by now if you applied back in May, but maybe they just take a long time. I would be interested to hear how you get on, good luck!
Old Feb 26th 2008, 3:26 am
JAJ
Retired

Hi Luke,

I phoned DIAC last night and was told that if I was able to get my practical experience pre-qualification assessed by the NIA (for example) as being 'skilled' then along with the appropriate references I 'might' be alright.
This doesn't make any sense as the accountant skill assessment authorities don't assess work experience. I hope you are not planning to rely on the helpline.
Old Feb 26th 2008, 3:28 am
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

Personally, I think the assessing bodies rather than DIAC case officers should assess whether recent work experience (and work experience for the purpose of specific work experience and MODL points) is skilled - but that's a completely different issue I guess ...

Best regards.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.