Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Accompanying spouse on sponsored temporary work permit

Accompanying spouse on sponsored temporary work permit

Old Oct 10th 2019, 12:40 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute
Question Accompanying spouse on sponsored temporary work permit

Hi Everyone,

I've been living with my girlfriend since April 2019 and she has been offered a one year contract in WA on a sponsored visa. She is due to move and commence her new job in early 2020 and wants to know whether or not I can go with her.

She hasn't applied for her visa yet and I don't know which subclass it is or the exact terms of it. She is a medical professional and I think her employer are currently going through the qualification accreditation process before they commence the visa application. I have no job offer in Australia and no real contacts or history there aside from some distant relatives so I think I would need to be declared as her accompanying partner if anything.

Can anybody offer any advice?

Thanks in advance.
Old Oct 10th 2019, 9:47 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Accompanying spouse on sponsored temporary work permit

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost
Hi Everyone,

I've been living with my girlfriend since April 2019 and she has been offered a one year contract in WA on a sponsored visa. She is due to move and commence her new job in early 2020 and wants to know whether or not I can go with her.

She hasn't applied for her visa yet and I don't know which subclass it is or the exact terms of it. She is a medical professional and I think her employer are currently going through the qualification accreditation process before they commence the visa application. I have no job offer in Australia and no real contacts or history there aside from some distant relatives so I think I would need to be declared as her accompanying partner if anything.

Can anybody offer any advice?

Thanks in advance.
I don't think you could come as her defacto spouse if you've only been living together 6 months, but if the employer is sponsoring her they would be the ones to ask. The hospital I work for has a department that deals with the visa applications for overseas trained professionals and they have access to migration agents. If you are under 30 you could always come on a working holiday visa for the year. https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/visa...ng-holiday-417
Old Oct 10th 2019, 9:53 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
I don't think you could come as her defacto spouse if you've only been living together 6 months, but if the employer is sponsoring her they would be the ones to ask. The hospital I work for has a department that deals with the visa applications for overseas trained professionals and they have access to migration agents. If you are under 30 you could always come on a working holiday visa for the year. https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/visa...ng-holiday-417
Thanks for your reply Dorothy. Sadly I'm not under 30 and the terms of the Aussie WHV would likely be far too restrictive for someone like me anyway if I'm honest.

The visa application is being handled by the hospital or healthcare trust that's employing her. I'm not entirely sure how it works tbh but I know they plan to get the ball rolling on that once credential assessment is complete.

I did expect that an accompanying de facto spouse declaration could be difficult since we have been living together for less than a year but I did tell her I would look into it ahead of the paperwork being started. I have experience of the US and Canadian immigration systems but my knowledge on Australia is pretty limited really.
Old Oct 11th 2019, 4:18 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for your reply Dorothy. Sadly I'm not under 30 and the terms of the Aussie WHV would likely be far too restrictive for someone like me anyway if I'm honest.

The visa application is being handled by the hospital or healthcare trust that's employing her. I'm not entirely sure how it works tbh but I know they plan to get the ball rolling on that once credential assessment is complete.

I did expect that an accompanying de facto spouse declaration could be difficult since we have been living together for less than a year but I did tell her I would look into it ahead of the paperwork being started. I have experience of the US and Canadian immigration systems but my knowledge on Australia is pretty limited really.
Is marriage on the cards? It doesn't need to be an elaborate affair, just a city hall type thing.
Old Oct 11th 2019, 6:33 am
Sidecar Falcon

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Is marriage on the cards? It doesn't need to be an elaborate affair, just a city hall type thing.
Not in the immediate future tbh. We're not engaged atm and I don't think that's something that either one of us would ever really want to rush into.
Old Oct 12th 2019, 4:40 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

If it is a 482 visa, then I believe the requirement of period of living together is only six months.
Old Oct 12th 2019, 8:52 pm
Sidecar Falcon

Originally Posted by verystormy
If it is a 482 visa, then I believe the requirement of period of living together is only six months.
I honestly don't know what category of visa it is. I don't even think she knows yet since they haven't sent any of the application forms over for it. We could definitely provide evidence to meet a 6 month cohabitation requirement though if that's the case.

Reading the spec and average processing timescale for the 482 does make that sound like a possibility. My only other suspicion was that it might be some sort of state sponsored subclass. I know they've said that she doesn't actually need to send her original passport away at any time during the application.
Old Oct 13th 2019, 12:11 am
Still alive

I honestly don't know what category of visa it is. I don't even think she knows yet since they haven't sent any of the application forms over for it. We could definitely provide evidence to meet a 6 month cohabitation requirement though if that's the case.

Reading the spec and average processing timescale for the 482 does make that sound like a possibility. My only other suspicion was that it might be some sort of state sponsored subclass. I know they've said that she doesn't actually need to send her original passport away at any time during the application.
If it's only a one year contract and supported by the hospital it's likely a 482. State sponsored is usually a permanent visa.
Old Oct 13th 2019, 7:02 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Visas are all electronic now, no need to submit passports any more.
I agree the 482 is the most likely, and as most of its requirements are based on the old 457 it may well only be a 6 month de facto requirement
Old Oct 13th 2019, 7:20 am
Sidecar Falcon

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Visas are all electronic now, no need to submit passports any more.
I agree the 482 is the most likely, and as most of its requirements are based on the old 457 it may well only be a 6 month de facto requirement
That's great, thanks so much guys.
Old Oct 24th 2019, 10:27 am
Sidecar Falcon

OK they've said that her visa is a 407. I'll do a bit of digging around online but any advice that anyone can offer would be really appreciated. Thanks.
Old Oct 24th 2019, 12:43 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

OK they've said that her visa is a 407. I'll do a bit of digging around online but any advice that anyone can offer would be really appreciated. Thanks.
Official info is here - https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/visa...g/training-407
Old Oct 24th 2019, 2:15 pm
Sidecar Falcon

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Thanks, I was reading through that info earlier. I'm still not 100% sure regarding the minimum term to qualify for de facto accompaniment though (e.g. 6 months or 12 months).

Tbh though I'm not sure how well it would work in practice anyway considering an accompanying dependent on 407 is only allowed to work for 40 hours per 2 week period.