Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

About to take Canadian PR, but will it affec Oz citizenship application?

About to take Canadian PR, but will it affec Oz citizenship application?

Old Oct 30th 2008, 11:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

didik will become famous soon enough
Default About to take Canadian PR, but will it affec Oz citizenship application?

I hope some experts will be able to share their thoughts.

To cut the long story short:
-We have applied Canadian PR since 2004, and due to delay and complications, our application was only approved recently. We have time until the beginning of 2009 to land! I have NOT get the visa stamp yet (because of fears, see my questions)!

-During the uncertainty and wait for the Canadian PR, we got our Australian PR quite recently. We have pretty much settled and bought a house in Australia. Because of the new Oz citizenship regulation (i have lived here since 2002), i will be eligible to apply the citizenship status in mid 2009.

My questions
1) Will having Canadian PR led to refusal of my Australian citizenship application? (I will have the Canadian visa stamp in my passport when i apply for Oz citizenship] .

2) By the time of citizenship application, i will only spent at the most 2 weeks in Canada for the purpose of landing. I will land probably in the beginning of 2009, so it will be VERY CLOSE to the date of my citizenship application. Will this also lead to refusal of my Australian citizenship application, as the officer will ask my RECENT landing in Canada?

3) I am not trying to "double dip" because i have a quite decent job in OZ. But i have spent thousands $$ for the Canadian PR application, and also want to keep my options open.
Thanks.

Last edited by didik; Oct 31st 2008 at 12:59 am. Reason: clarifying
Old Oct 31st 2008, 10:51 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: About to take Canadian PR, but will it affec Oz citizenship application?

http://www.citizenship.gov.au/applyi...ligibility.htm

"People who apply must ...

* be likely to reside, or to continue to reside, in Australia or to maintain a close and continuing association with Australia"

Normally DIAC accepts declarations on the form at face value, if you are currently living in Australia. But they do see your passport and can probe more deeply if they wish.

Have you settled well in Australia? If so, would you seriously consider uprooting yourself a second time? What would Canada offer you that Australia doesn't?
Old Nov 1st 2008, 7:56 am

newjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: About to take Canadian PR, but will it affec Oz citizenship application?

Originally Posted by JAJ
What would Canada offer you that Australia doesn't?
a mind-boggling S$%tload of snow in winter
Old Nov 1st 2008, 8:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Default Re: About to take Canadian PR, but will it affect Oz citizenship application?

Thanks for the replies.
One more question.
***Have you heard of cases people being denied of citizenship because they have another PR?

I have searched http://www.austlii.edu.au/ and cannot find that having another PR had lead to the refusal.

*We have pretty much settled in Australia with suitable jobs. I dont see We will be better of in Canada, but we dont see why shouldnt we just have the PR visa as we have spent money and time. OF COURSE, so long that it will not jeopardise my citizenship application.

cheers
Ddk
Old Nov 2nd 2008, 3:14 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: About to take Canadian PR, but will it affect Oz citizenship application?

Originally Posted by didik
Thanks for the replies.
One more question.
***Have you heard of cases people being denied of citizenship because they have another PR?
I have heard of at least one case denied where they did not believe the applicant was likely to stay resident in Australia, for whatever reason. However, that does not automatically apply to your case. It may, or it may not.

You will have to make up your own mind about what you want to do.

Of course, if you are denied citizenship it does not cancel your PR and you may reapply later on.
Old Nov 2nd 2008, 10:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks Jeremy for the replies. I will need to think carefully before deciding what to do.
ddk

Last edited by didik; Nov 2nd 2008 at 10:18 pm.
Old Nov 2nd 2008, 11:34 pm

Lenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to behold

I had a NZ PR visa that just needed me to live and work for 3 months and PR would be granted. My employer dropped me in it and asked me to wait. I ended up getting offered a job in Australia with sponsored PR. I got it no problem. My wife still in the UK has been out here in Tassie 3 times. Once she was asked about the NZ visa at customs. She told them them why it was not used and it's run out any way. No problem at all. But you never know.