885 application query

Old Apr 5th 2008, 1:36 am
Forum Regular

tieve is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 885 application query

Hey,

I've been studying in Brisbane for 2 years on a 573 and although I'm married to an Australian citizen and so could apply for my Spouse (temp 820) visa, I've decided to go straight for an 885 as the PR sooner will be much better for me employment wise (as i'm about to qualify as a teacher and so for a permanent post I need PR).

My question though is what happens between my current visa expiry date (Aug 08) and the 885 grant date? Am I able to stay on in Australia and work or do I need to leave the country (which makes no sense as i am lodging onshore and need to be onshore when it's granted right?). I'm assuming there must be a standard procedure for this as this Visa is for people in the same situation and most student visas expire shortly after the course completion date. Sorry if there is already a post on this here but I did a search and couldn't find anything. I'm so confused so any help/advice would be much appreciated!

Thanks
Old Apr 5th 2008, 2:09 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 885 application query

Originally Posted by tieve
Hey,

I've been studying in Brisbane for 2 years on a 573 and although I'm married to an Australian citizen and so could apply for my Spouse (temp 820) visa, I've decided to go straight for an 885 as the PR sooner will be much better for me employment wise (as i'm about to qualify as a teacher and so for a permanent post I need PR).

My question though is what happens between my current visa expiry date (Aug 08) and the 885 grant date? Am I able to stay on in Australia and work or do I need to leave the country (which makes no sense as i am lodging onshore and need to be onshore when it's granted right?). I'm assuming there must be a standard procedure for this as this Visa is for people in the same situation and most student visas expire shortly after the course completion date. Sorry if there is already a post on this here but I did a search and couldn't find anything. I'm so confused so any help/advice would be much appreciated!

Thanks
The usual process is for you to be granted a Bridging Visa, which enables you to stay in Aus while the decision is made.
Old Apr 6th 2008, 8:03 am
Forum Regular

tieve is an unknown quantity at this point

Ah thanks for that, I was hoping there was something as simple!
Old Apr 6th 2008, 11:34 pm
Addicted to browsing BE

goldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond repute

I did this myself - got my 885 last year. When I applied for the 885 online the acknowledgement letter/email explained that I had a Bridging Visa A with the same conditions as my last visa (so full time work as course is not in session, must have health insurance etc even though as soon as you apply you are eligible for medicare...work that one out!).

It;s pretty simple and my 885 only took 45 days to be granted (front-loaded)