Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

"8515 - The holder of the visa must not marry before entering Australia"

"8515 - The holder of the visa must not marry before entering Australia"

Old Dec 4th 2011, 6:53 am
Just Joined

temptation is an unknown quantity at this point
Default "8515 - The holder of the visa must not marry before entering Australia"

Dear BE Users,

I got my Skilled - Independent (subclass 175) visa granted 5 months back with the following condition printed on my VISA.

"8515 - The holder of the visa must not marry before entering Australia".

I am not married or engaged as of now and I visited Sydney - Australia 2 months back for a week long trip after obtaining the VISA.

I had no plans for my marriage when i visited Australia and so i was thinking of moving permanently to Australia by January 2012.

Things have slightly changed now and i am planning to get married in March 2012.

My query is that if i don't move to Australia in Jan 2012 and change my plan to get married first (hope fully till March 2012), do i need to inform DIAC for the same.

I am confused by what exactly is meant by "8515 - The holder of the visa must not marry before entering Australia".

Does this mean that i cannot get married unless I spend few years living and working in Australia ? or my 2 months back trip (just a week long) to Australia was enough to lift the condition ?

Thanks for your help.

Kind Regards,

Sajid
Old Dec 4th 2011, 8:29 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: "8515 - The holder of the visa must not marry before entering Australia"

Originally Posted by temptation
Dear BE Users,

I got my Skilled - Independent (subclass 175) visa granted 5 months back with the following condition printed on my VISA.

"8515 - The holder of the visa must not marry before entering Australia".

I am not married or engaged as of now and I visited Sydney - Australia 2 months back for a week long trip after obtaining the VISA.

I had no plans for my marriage when i visited Australia and so i was thinking of moving permanently to Australia by January 2012.

Things have slightly changed now and i am planning to get married in March 2012.

My query is that if i don't move to Australia in Jan 2012 and change my plan to get married first (hope fully till March 2012), do i need to inform DIAC for the same.

I am confused by what exactly is meant by "8515 - The holder of the visa must not marry before entering Australia".

Does this mean that i cannot get married unless I spend few years living and working in Australia ? or my 2 months back trip (just a week long) to Australia was enough to lift the condition ?

Thanks for your help.

Kind Regards,

Sajid
It means that after the visa was granted you must not marry before validating the visa (ie entering Australia).
If you have validated your visa then its fine, you are free to marry.

Your Spouse will then need to apply for their own visa.
Old Dec 4th 2011, 8:58 am
Just Joined

Default Re: "8515 - The holder of the visa must not marry before entering Australia"

Thanks for your prompt reply.

Just to be 100% clear on this. Does validating a visa mean that you have to enter Australia once ? Or some additional steps are required for this ?

In my case, I just went to Australia for 1 week and got immigration entry and exit stamp on my VISA. If this is as good as validating a visa, then i hope i don't even need to inform DIAC about my marriage plans.

Thanks for your help.

Regards,

Sajid.
Old Dec 4th 2011, 9:08 am
BE Forum Addict

louie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for your prompt reply.

Just to be 100% clear on this. Does validating a visa mean that you have to enter Australia once ?
Yes

Or some additional steps are required for this ?
No.

In my case, I just went to Australia for 1 week and got immigration entry and exit stamp on my VISA. If this is as good as validating a visa, then i hope i don't even need to inform DIAC about my marriage plans.
No you don't need to inform DIAC as far as your own visa is concerned. However, as Polly says, your wife will need her own visa before you can both move to Australia.
Old Dec 4th 2011, 11:27 am
Just Joined

Thanks ..

So for my to be wife's VISA, can I apply for it from outside Australia after marriage. I am currently living in Dubai. If that is possible, i'll apply for it while i am in Dubai and will move to Australia once her visa is granted.

Thanks guys for your help.

Regards,

Sajid.
Old Dec 6th 2011, 12:42 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks ..

So for my to be wife's VISA, can I apply for it from outside Australia after marriage. I am currently living in Dubai. If that is possible, i'll apply for it while i am in Dubai and will move to Australia once her visa is granted.

Thanks guys for your help.

Regards,

Sajid.
No you don't apply for it. She wants a Spouse Visa, she needs to apply for it.
Old Feb 1st 2012, 10:06 am
Just Joined

self seeker is an unknown quantity at this point

hi sajid..
i red you thread it much similar to me but fortunately i dont have any condition mentioned on my visa...i just want to ask you what you did about this condition....is it necessary not marry before marriage
Old Feb 1st 2012, 1:36 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by self seeker
hi sajid..
i red you thread it much similar to me but fortunately i dont have any condition mentioned on my visa...i just want to ask you what you did about this condition....is it necessary not marry before marriage
If you don't have the condition on your visa why does it matter?