820/801 Partner Visa Application

Old Dec 14th 2009, 5:54 am
Just Joined

MickeyG72 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 820/801 Partner Visa Application

Hi everyone,

I'm after some feedback on the level of fees I am proposing to pay to my Migration Agent regarding the above application.

The fees are $4,500 + $150.00 + disbursements (currently at $750.00) + GST.

I also have to pay DIAC $2,525 for the application.

The firm I am using comes with a good reputation and the Solicitor handling my case has my confidence following an initial consultation last week.

Do these fees seem appropriate?
Old Dec 14th 2009, 6:01 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 820/801 Partner Visa Application

Originally Posted by MickeyG72
Hi everyone,

I'm after some feedback on the level of fees I am proposing to pay to my Migration Agent regarding the above application.

The fees are $4,500 + $150.00 + disbursements (currently at $750.00) + GST.

I also have to pay DIAC $2,525 for the application.

The firm I am using comes with a good reputation and the Solicitor handling my case has my confidence following an initial consultation last week.

Do these fees seem appropriate?
For a Spouse visa? Have you got a particularly complicated case?
Old Dec 14th 2009, 6:26 am
Just Joined

Where do I start?!? My application is slightly different to the norm I guess!

Immigrated to Sydney in May 09 on what I thought was a Student Visa. Turns out my course was not CRICROS registered (despite being told by the provider that it was). Have managed to complete the first semester after reverting back to my Tourist Visa.

The second half of qualifying was CRICROS approved but last week I was told that my UK qualifications and experience had finally been recognized so no need to do the course. Therefore the Student Visa having finally been granted in November is meaningless.

DIAC have allowed me a period of grace to lodge a spouse visa. That itself has its complications as we have not been living together in Australia continuously for 12 months (8 so far) but the Agent seems confident it will be granted due to the special circumstances (outlined above) that my application has.

Will be qualified in May 2010 ( Barrister). Have had a torturous time so far in NSW trying to remain a legal immigrant and studying at the same time. Have not been able to work due to above factors keeping me on a Tourist Visa and now the Student Visa has no merit.
Old Dec 14th 2009, 9:45 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Where do I start?!? My application is slightly different to the norm I guess!

Immigrated to Sydney in May 09 on what I thought was a Student Visa. Turns out my course was not CRICROS registered (despite being told by the provider that it was). Have managed to complete the first semester after reverting back to my Tourist Visa.

The second half of qualifying was CRICROS approved but last week I was told that my UK qualifications and experience had finally been recognized so no need to do the course. Therefore the Student Visa having finally been granted in November is meaningless.

DIAC have allowed me a period of grace to lodge a spouse visa. That itself has its complications as we have not been living together in Australia continuously for 12 months (8 so far) but the Agent seems confident it will be granted due to the special circumstances (outlined above) that my application has.

Will be qualified in May 2010 ( Barrister). Have had a torturous time so far in NSW trying to remain a legal immigrant and studying at the same time. Have not been able to work due to above factors keeping me on a Tourist Visa and now the Student Visa has no merit.
Ah, I can see why you would need an agent now - usually a Spouse visa is straightforward, but yours looks a bit more complicated! Can't advise you on the fees though, sorry.......
Old Dec 14th 2009, 10:01 am
Just Joined

I think they are slightly high, I am going through other threads on this website and gaining confidence to have a go at the application myself.
Old Dec 14th 2009, 11:25 am
Home and Happy

I think they are slightly high, I am going through other threads on this website and gaining confidence to have a go at the application myself.
Most of the Spouse visa application is pretty straightforward. The only bit you might have an issue with is the 12 months cohabitation. But if you can make a good enough case using the history you have, then it may well be do-able yourself. I note you say you haven't lived together in Australia for 12 months - did you live together at all before arriving here?
Old Dec 14th 2009, 11:46 am
Reg. Migration Agent

Les Mighalls is a splendid one to beholdLes Mighalls is a splendid one to beholdLes Mighalls is a splendid one to beholdLes Mighalls is a splendid one to beholdLes Mighalls is a splendid one to beholdLes Mighalls is a splendid one to beholdLes Mighalls is a splendid one to beholdLes Mighalls is a splendid one to beholdLes Mighalls is a splendid one to beholdLes Mighalls is a splendid one to beholdLes Mighalls is a splendid one to behold

Obviously I am not in possession of the full facts, but when I read this

last week I was told that my UK qualifications and experience had finally been recognized so no need to do the course. Therefore the Student Visa having finally been granted in November is meaningless.

DIAC have allowed me a period of grace to lodge a spouse visa. That itself has its complications as we have not been living together in Australia continuously for 12 months (8 so far)
the answer appears to be self-evident, with the student visa an integral part of the strategy.

Again, not knowing the full circumstances I cannot comment on the appropriateness of the fees quoted but would suggest that some alternative quotes be obtained before committing to 5k in professional fees.
Old Dec 14th 2009, 8:59 pm
Just Joined

Thank you all for the helpful feedback.

In relation to your point Pollyanna concerning cohabitation, yes we lived in Manchester together for 5 weeks last summer and for a further 5 weeks when I visited Australia last December.

We actually met in Italy last May. We weighed up all options and spent time in the UK and Australia (as above) before I made the decision that I would emigrate and look to transfer my qualifications and experience.

It was supposed to be so easy. 12 months as a student then apply for the spouse visa.
Old Dec 14th 2009, 9:10 pm
Home and Happy

Thank you all for the helpful feedback.

In relation to your point Pollyanna concerning cohabitation, yes we lived in Manchester together for 5 weeks last summer and for a further 5 weeks when I visited Australia last December.

We actually met in Italy last May. We weighed up all options and spent time in the UK and Australia (as above) before I made the decision that I would emigrate and look to transfer my qualifications and experience.

It was supposed to be so easy. 12 months as a student then apply for the spouse visa.
Well, it helps as you can add it to the 8 months here, but I guess it still doesn't make quite the 12 months. However having a history together in both countries may well go in your favour.

Might be worth a chat with another couple of agents? There are a fair few on here, including Les who has commented above.
Old Mar 7th 2010, 5:23 am
Just Joined

Temp (de facto) granted last Tuesday. Really pleased and also saved a small fortune on migration agent fees by lodging the application myself. Took a fair bit of time and effort but worth it in the end.

Now just have to pass my final law exam tomorrow and can then think about obtaining employment finally
Old Mar 7th 2010, 6:54 am
Feeble Minded

SillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond repute

Temp (de facto) granted last Tuesday. Really pleased and also saved a small fortune on migration agent fees by lodging the application myself. Took a fair bit of time and effort but worth it in the end.

Now just have to pass my final law exam tomorrow and can then think about obtaining employment finally
Good to see a happy ending. All the best with your exam tomorrow
Old Mar 8th 2010, 1:43 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

If you get admitted to the legal profession, you should look at getting permanent residence based on your employment.
Old Jun 9th 2010, 7:59 am
Just Joined

Hi JAJ

Passed all my exams and now started life as a NSW Barrister.

Still on the Temp (De Facto) but will look into getting PR if that is possible.