5 years on a 457

Old Oct 20th 2014, 5:41 pm
Just Joined

yorkshireman1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 5 years on a 457

Hello,
I have returned back to the UK from living in Australia for 5 years on a 457 visa. I returned back to the UK for family reasons and now wanting to return. My 457 visa was cancelled but was wondering would the 5 years count for anything when applying for residency? My occupation is currently included on the skill migration list and it's been about 1 year since we left. Any information or guidance would be helpful. Thank you
Old Oct 20th 2014, 5:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 5 years on a 457

Nope, it's going to be start again if you can find a sponsor or go for PR if you are eligible.
Old Oct 20th 2014, 6:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by yorkshireman1
Hello,
I have returned back to the UK from living in Australia for 5 years on a 457 visa. I returned back to the UK for family reasons and now wanting to return. My 457 visa was cancelled but was wondering would the 5 years count for anything when applying for residency? My occupation is currently included on the skill migration list and it's been about 1 year since we left. Any information or guidance would be helpful. Thank you
Your years working in Australia may help with the skilled migration points test, but that is all. It would be the same if you had never left. Often people think they can apply for "residency" on the basis of time spent in the country, but there is no such concept.

You do not apply for "residency", it is all about applying for visas and to get a permanent one you need to meet the requirements of that visa. If your occupation is on the list, then skilled migration, the 189 or 190, are the ones to look into.
Old Oct 21st 2014, 10:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

TeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond repute

If you were applying for a points scored skilled independent visa assuming you apply under the same occupation and meet the 'skilled work' requirements then the 5 years may count towards points for Australian work experience.