Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

5-year travel facility expired on my 'Last Remaining Relative' visa

5-year travel facility expired on my 'Last Remaining Relative' visa

Old Oct 22nd 2022, 12:43 pm
Just Joined

GusGF is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 5-year travel facility expired on my 'Last Remaining Relative' visa

Issue: 5-year travel facility expired on my 'Last Remaining Relative' visa

I got Australian Permanent residency and activated my 'Last Remaining Relative' visa at the beginning of 2014 and this set the clock ticking on the 5-year travel facility which has now long expired. I never actually travelled to Australia during that 5 year period! Before the 5-year travel facility expired I got a job I'd been chasing as an I.T. Support Technician (a job I've been in for the last 5 years) hence why I remained in the UK. But I now want to move to Australia, my personal circumstances have not changed at all.

BUT from what I'm reading on their webpage on 'Subclasses 155 and 157 Resident Return visa' (sorry can't post links as I'm new on this forum) I fall down on the requirement below.

not absent from Australia for periods that total more than 5 years (unless you have compelling reasons) between the date you left Australia as a permanent resident or citizen and the date of application

So am I completely screwed? My only glimmer of hope is what would Australian Immigration consider a compelling reason? Taking the job I mentioned above?
Old Oct 22nd 2022, 4:32 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 5-year travel facility expired on my 'Last Remaining Relative' visa

Originally Posted by GusGF
Issue: 5-year travel facility expired on my 'Last Remaining Relative' visa

I got Australian Permanent residency and activated my 'Last Remaining Relative' visa at the beginning of 2014 and this set the clock ticking on the 5-year travel facility which has now long expired. I never actually travelled to Australia during that 5 year period! Before the 5-year travel facility expired I got a job I'd been chasing as an I.T. Support Technician (a job I've been in for the last 5 years) hence why I remained in the UK. But I now want to move to Australia, my personal circumstances have not changed at all.

BUT from what I'm reading on their webpage on 'Subclasses 155 and 157 Resident Return visa' (sorry can't post links as I'm new on this forum) I fall down on the requirement below.

not absent from Australia for periods that total more than 5 years (unless you have compelling reasons) between the date you left Australia as a permanent resident or citizen and the date of application

So am I completely screwed? My only glimmer of hope is what would Australian Immigration consider a compelling reason? Taking the job I mentioned above?
Based on years of experience on here, I doubt they would view that as compelling, but if you don’t apply you won’t know for sure.
However I would recommend you contact a registered agent first, they can advise you the best way to approach it. They may suggest other reasons to include - maybe family in Australia who need you? I assume you have family there to have got the LRR visa.
Old Oct 25th 2022, 12:34 am
Just Joined

GusGF is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Based on years of experience on here, I doubt they would view that as compelling, but if you don’t apply you won’t know for sure.
However I would recommend you contact a registered agent first, they can advise you the best way to approach it. They may suggest other reasons to include - maybe family in Australia who need you? I assume you have family there to have got the LRR visa.

Yes I do. My brother was my sponsor originally and still would be, though he is now retired but thankfully is financially secure. One of the main reasons for not going was my precarious employment status at the time and I really didn't want to be going out there not having experience in the area I really wanted to work in. I transitioned from an Administrative post in the Civil Service to an I.T. role. Now I've been working in the I.T. field and have picked up experience it's a different matter but unfortunately, the time has run out. So angry at myself for letting this opportunity go.
But I will take your advice and contact a registered agent and see what they say. Thank you
Old Oct 25th 2022, 4:49 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

I would speak to a registered migration agent.