461 Sub-class visa - NZ Citizen query

Old May 26th 2011, 12:07 pm
Just Joined

marriedtheenglish is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 461 Sub-class visa - NZ Citizen query

Hi
I'm a NZ citizen and am emigrating to Aus... My husband and son are English and therefore applying for a 461 sub-class visa which is about $200 and lasts 5 years before they reapply again.
The form is quite straight forward but it asks if you have medical insurance in Aus, which obviously we don't yet, but will have it when we go... but I think they want us to have it before we go.
Does anyone have any experience of this visa, and have any tips at all?
I'm also trying to find out how long it will be before it is granted.
I'm also not sure who to go with for medical insurance... any help would be welcome!
Do we have to put in bank statements for this visa and have the health checks or not as we are in the UK?
Thx in advance!
Old May 27th 2011, 12:48 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 461 Sub-class visa - NZ Citizen query

Not a good visa long term.
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/461_visa

Is there any plan to get permanent residence?

Also, is your son not a New Zealand citizen?
Old May 27th 2011, 8:22 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by JAJ
Not a good visa long term.
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/461_visa

Is there any plan to get permanent residence?

Also, is your son not a New Zealand citizen?
It's our only option as he doesn't qualify under the points system unfortunately.
Not a great plan to get PR at the moment - as we can always re-apply for the visa. Our son was born in the UK, so not a NZ citizen unfortunately!

Can you help with my questions by any chance?
Old May 27th 2011, 11:24 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by marriedtheenglish
It's our only option as he doesn't qualify under the points system unfortunately.
Not a great plan to get PR at the moment as we can always re-apply for the visa.
Living long term in Australia on a temporary visa is not a good life option. It leaves your spouse and your son in a vulnerable position should you die or you break up. (you can renew the visa but there are restrictions).

There are also costs you may not have fully understood - including healthcare and when your son is older, tertiary fees for education.

Do either of you have the skill/occupation base to get PR through employer nomination?

And there is no such thing as "only option" - you, for example, do have the option to go to NZ instead. Where at least they will enjoy permanent resident rights with the potential to become citizens.

Our son was born in the UK, so not a NZ citizen unfortunately!
Were you born (or naturalised) in New Zealand? If so, have you not looked at getting your son New Zealand citizenship by descent?
Old May 31st 2011, 9:38 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by JAJ
Living long term in Australia on a temporary visa is not a good life option. It leaves your spouse and your son in a vulnerable position should you die or you break up. (you can renew the visa but there are restrictions).

There are also costs you may not have fully understood - including healthcare and when your son is older, tertiary fees for education.

Do either of you have the skill/occupation base to get PR through employer nomination?

And there is no such thing as "only option" - you, for example, do have the option to go to NZ instead. Where at least they will enjoy permanent resident rights with the potential to become citizens.

Were you born (or naturalised) in New Zealand? If so, have you not looked at getting your son New Zealand citizenship by descent?
I was born in NZ and spent the first 18 years of my life there... you make a good point - I should get his NZ citizenship going - that will mean he has the same visa as me with regards to Australia won't it - hence he won't have to pay for education etc. Can I start that when I am in Australia though? ie. get him in on the 5 year visa and then start the process when we are in Australia?

I know there will be medical costs to pay for and we are prepared for that - we will have to take out private medical insurance.

I don't really want to go to NZ to be honest, I am heading to Aus for the weather!

Hubby wants to do the final bit of his degree so he could possibly get PR but we'll look at that further down the line. We want to just get into Aus and make sure we like it before deciding what to do!
Old May 31st 2011, 11:45 pm
JAJ
Retired

I was born in NZ and spent the first 18 years of my life there
In that case - are you also a British citizen? If not, you should get your own British citizenship before you leave.

... you make a good point - I should get his NZ citizenship going - that will mean he has the same visa as me with regards to Australia won't it - hence he won't have to pay for education etc. Can I start that when I am in Australia though? ie. get him in on the 5 year visa and then start the process when we are in Australia?
It would be much better to get his NZ citizenship certificate and NZ passport now. Make sure you read and understand that he's not able to pass on NZ citizenship any further:
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/New_Ze...hip_by_Descent

Also make sure you understand that long term, not having access to PR/citizenship may well cause him problems:
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/New_Ze...s_in_Australia

I know there will be medical costs to pay for and we are prepared for that - we will have to take out private medical insurance.

I don't really want to go to NZ to be honest, I am heading to Aus for the weather!

Hubby wants to do the final bit of his degree so he could possibly get PR but we'll look at that further down the line. We want to just get into Aus and make sure we like it before deciding what to do!
Think about more than just the weather.

Being in Australia long term without access to PR/citizenship is not such a great deal and for your husband, being stuck on the 461 visa is even worse for him (and with no access to NZ).

Having a degree won't give him automatic access to PR but it will be much harder without it. He should finish his degree before you move.
Old Jun 1st 2011, 8:24 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by JAJ
In that case - are you also a British citizen? If not, you should get your own British citizenship before you leave.

I am not a british Citizen but have indefinite leave to stay here - what is the advantage of becoming a British Citizen? I see none because it won't help me get PR in Australia?

It would be much better to get his NZ citizenship certificate and NZ passport now. Make sure you read and understand that he's not able to pass on NZ citizenship any further:
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/New_Ze...hip_by_Descent

What is the advantage of getting it now over a couple of years or so? He's only 2 at the moment!

Also make sure you understand that long term, not having access to PR/citizenship may well cause him problems:
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/New_Ze...s_in_Australia

Thanks for the link - will have a look!

Think about more than just the weather.

Being in Australia long term without access to PR/citizenship is not such a great deal and for your husband, being stuck on the 461 visa is even worse for him (and with no access to NZ).

Having a degree won't give him automatic access to PR but it will be much harder without it. He should finish his degree before you move.
If I can get him NZ citizenship eventually it should be fine? I really don't see what the big deal is about being on the 461 for either my husband or child. It's 5 years, which is quite a long time, at which time we can renew it. It allows him to work and live, and we can get medical insurance so I really don't see the disadvantages? Maybe I haven't thought it through properly, but if you can tell me the other disadvantages and give me more info I might understand why you are so against it.

He doesnt have time to finish his degree - it will be another year and we don't want to wait that long.

I think what will be will be. There is always NZ for us to go to - something will work out!!
Old Jun 1st 2011, 10:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

If I can get him NZ citizenship eventually it should be fine? I really don't see what the big deal is about being on the 461 for either my husband or child. It's 5 years, which is quite a long time, at which time we can renew it. It allows him to work and live, and we can get medical insurance so I really don't see the disadvantages? Maybe I haven't thought it through properly, but if you can tell me the other disadvantages and give me more info I might understand why you are so against it.

He doesnt have time to finish his degree - it will be another year and we don't want to wait that long.

I think what will be will be. There is always NZ for us to go to - something will work out!!
Jeez talk about me me me. Do you have any idea how you are coming across.

Your husband wants to finish his degree, on the other hand Australia is going nowhere, why not just wait and let him do it. I would have been gutted to get two thirds of the way through a degree only to abandon it and I think many people would be.

The 461 visa is not great for your husband because it is temporary and if the relationship flounders but he wants to stay in Australia then he either has to remain single for the rest of his life or find another visa .... something his unfinshed degree may make impossible for him.

It is all very well you saying what will be will be, it isn't you giving up something you have worked hard for and it isn't you that will be in a precarious visa situation is it?
Old Jun 1st 2011, 10:34 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
Jeez talk about me me me. Do you have any idea how you are coming across.

Your husband wants to finish his degree, on the other hand Australia is going nowhere, why not just wait and let him do it. I would have been gutted to get two thirds of the way through a degree only to abandon it and I think many people would be.

You have mis-understood me. He has finished his degree (years ago). But he hasn't qualified as a teacher, which is what we were going to stay here for - but he didn't get into any of the coursese we applied for, so there is no point staying now. I was more than happy to wait if that meant him getting in - by all means that was the ideal situation for all of us - but it was not to be. So there is no point hanging around now.

The 461 visa is not great for your husband because it is temporary and if the relationship flounders but he wants to stay in Australia then he either has to remain single for the rest of his life or find another visa .... something his unfinshed degree may make impossible for him.

The relationship won't flounder. We have been together forever and are pretty secure - thanks for your concern!

It is all very well you saying what will be will be, it isn't you giving up something you have worked hard for and it isn't you that will be in a precarious visa situation is it?
Like I said, he can't do it here - he can't get into the course because he has no teaching experience and although we tried several courses, we had no luck. That's why doing it in Australia might be a better option. I would have much rather have waited for him to finish, get his teaching year out of the way and do a year as a nq teacher so he could have got the PR visa - but it is now impossible to do... so this seems our only option!

And it is all about my family, nothing to do with me me me! I am a very unselfish person and am trying to do the best for my family. Thanks for your opinion but I am after visa help, rather than your personal opionion about how selfish I am being!
Old Jun 1st 2011, 10:36 am
Just Joined

Also - You have mis-understood me. He has finished his degree (years ago). But he hasn't qualified as a teacher, which is what we were going to stay here for - but he didn't get into any of the coursese we applied for, so there is no point staying now. I was more than happy to wait if that meant him getting in - by all means that was the ideal situation for all of us - but it was not to be. So there is no point hanging around now.
Old Jun 1st 2011, 10:44 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

The thing is that many of us have spent time here on temporary visas - in my case nearly three years - and it does get to you after a while, not being eligible for various things which PR and citizens take for granted. Have a look at the link JAJ gave you (the second Wiki one) and that will give you an idea of the disadvantages. In my case I was on a Spouse Visa which led to PR, but on a 461 there is no pathway to PR. You have no legal right to live permanently in Australia and there is always a faint chance that the rules may change and you may not be able to renew the visa. As long as you are happy with that and your family understand the situation, then thats OK, but many 461 holders only discover the pitfalls when its too late. Not trying to put you off, just want you to be aware of the some of the problems that may lie ahead
Old Jun 1st 2011, 10:47 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pollyana
The thing is that many of us have spent time here on temporary visas - in my case nearly three years - and it does get to you after a while, not being eligible for various things which PR and citizens take for granted. Have a look at the link JAJ gave you (the second Wiki one) and that will give you an idea of the disadvantages. In my case I was on a Spouse Visa which led to PR, but on a 461 there is no pathway to PR. You have no legal right to live permanently in Australia and there is always a faint chance that the rules may change and you may not be able to renew the visa. As long as you are happy with that and your family understand the situation, then thats OK, but many 461 holders only discover the pitfalls when its too late. Not trying to put you off, just want you to be aware of the some of the problems that may lie ahead
Thanks (and for not judging) - we really want to live in Australia and think that at the moment this is the best option. We really want to get PR so once we are in Aus, and we are sorted with jobs etc, we will look into getting hubby sorted with his PGCE teaching year and then hopefully we can get him PR. There is always NZ as an option too.

Anything that gets us out of the UK has to be good, even if it is temporary. Not sure where you are from, but living here for 12 years has certainly taken its toll, and hubby, being from here has had enough of it.

I know it might not be ideal, but living here is far from ideal also so we have to do what we think is best at the moment.

Thanks
Old Jun 1st 2011, 10:52 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks (and for not judging) - we really want to live in Australia and think that at the moment this is the best option. We really want to get PR so once we are in Aus, and we are sorted with jobs etc, we will look into getting hubby sorted with his PGCE teaching year and then hopefully we can get him PR. There is always NZ as an option too.

Anything that gets us out of the UK has to be good, even if it is temporary. Not sure where you are from, but living here for 12 years has certainly taken its toll, and hubby, being from here has had enough of it.

I know it might not be ideal, but living here is far from ideal also so we have to do what we think is best at the moment.

Thanks
A long-term plan hopefully leading to PR like that is definitely a good idea; many 461 holders just don't have any chance of ever getting PR so it looks like you could be luckier than the majority. Keep an eye on changes to the skills visa, and on what subjects are most in demand for teachers and you may make it in the end.
I'm sure you realise that Aus has most of the problems that the UK has - personally after 8 years here the only time I feel alive is when I go back home, and if I could get work in my field I'd go back like a shot!! but each to their own - if we all liked living in the same place life would get very boring!
Old Jun 1st 2011, 10:54 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pollyana
A long-term plan hopefully leading to PR like that is definitely a good idea; many 461 holders just don't have any chance of ever getting PR so it looks like you could be luckier than the majority. Keep an eye on changes to the skills visa, and on what subjects are most in demand for teachers and you may make it in the end.
I'm sure you realise that Aus has most of the problems that the UK has - personally after 8 years here the only time I feel alive is when I go back home, and if I could get work in my field I'd go back like a shot!! but each to their own - if we all liked living in the same place life would get very boring!
So you are from the UK? Whereabouts? I just find the weather such a drag - it really depresses me waking up almost every day to crappy weather. I also hate the fact that the UK is so overcrowded, and the British don't even get to be British in their own country. I know the UK has SO many fab things going for it, but after 12 years i've had just about enough. What do you do for work?
Old Jun 1st 2011, 11:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

And it is all about my family, nothing to do with me me me! I am a very unselfish person and am trying to do the best for my family. Thanks for your opinion but I am after visa help, rather than your personal opionion about how selfish I am being!
If you say so ... just commenting on what I am reading. Did you read what I said about the 461 visa? Or did you not see that as it doesn't actually affect you personally.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.