457 visa's

Old Dec 20th 2005, 7:31 am
BE Enthusiast

woody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant future
Default 457 visa's

Hi all

I know these questions have probably been asked before but I have done a search and can't find what I am looking for. I must admit that computers aren't my favourite toy so it is probably me.

We were going to apply under 139 but I have one result left before I can get my skills assessed and I believe this visa is being changed to temporary as of 1st July. In the mean time, my husband has been offered a truck drivers job for a company that my brother knows well.

Having looked into it, the visa will be a 457.

If we go on this visa, will I be able to apply for a permanent one when I get there or even a 139 as I know that can be permanent after 2 years. Our age is against us so a straightforward skilled visa is not possible. I do know that it is possible for the 457 to become permanent but wanted to check.

Where can I find out school fees, etc for Bunbury, WA. I have tried to do a search but can only find private schools or voluntary contributions which doesn't seem correct.

Could someone please point me in the diret=ction of where I will find details of FIRB so I can read up on the restrictions on buying a property.

Where can I get a quote for health insurance as we will not be able to claim Medicare.

Sorry for all the questions but the company has just started the ball rolling from their endand they need to be assessed in order for them to sponsor so I wanted to do my homework in the meantime.

Thanks in advance.

Debs
Old Dec 20th 2005, 10:13 pm
Forum Regular

TracyAnne is just really niceTracyAnne is just really niceTracyAnne is just really niceTracyAnne is just really niceTracyAnne is just really niceTracyAnne is just really niceTracyAnne is just really niceTracyAnne is just really niceTracyAnne is just really nice
Default Re: 457 visa's

Originally Posted by woody1cruiser
Hi all

I know these questions have probably been asked before but I have done a search and can't find what I am looking for. I must admit that computers aren't my favourite toy so it is probably me.

We were going to apply under 139 but I have one result left before I can get my skills assessed and I believe this visa is being changed to temporary as of 1st July. In the mean time, my husband has been offered a truck drivers job for a company that my brother knows well.

Having looked into it, the visa will be a 457.

If we go on this visa, will I be able to apply for a permanent one when I get there or even a 139 as I know that can be permanent after 2 years. Our age is against us so a straightforward skilled visa is not possible. I do know that it is possible for the 457 to become permanent but wanted to check.

Where can I find out school fees, etc for Bunbury, WA. I have tried to do a search but can only find private schools or voluntary contributions which doesn't seem correct.

Could someone please point me in the diret=ction of where I will find details of FIRB so I can read up on the restrictions on buying a property.

Where can I get a quote for health insurance as we will not be able to claim Medicare.

Sorry for all the questions but the company has just started the ball rolling from their endand they need to be assessed in order for them to sponsor so I wanted to do my homework in the meantime.

Thanks in advance.

Debs
Hi Debs,

Have you checked the dept of education for WA, their website should tell you. As far as I know you don't have fees to pay (only the usual levy and books fee that everyone has to pay) on a 457 in WA, I'm not 100% sure so maybe someone else that is on a 457 in WA could confirm.

We bought a house with permission from the FIRB www.firb.gov.au no problem at all just a formality really, when you see a house just make sure that you have the clause "subject to FIRB approval" put in the contract.

For your husband the 457 could lead to PR via RSMS if he has been in the job for 2 years here in Oz and the position has been approved by the regional certifying board, which presumably it will be for him to get the 457 as the RCB would have to approve an exemption from the minimum skill level as truck drivers currently do not meet the current minimum diploma level skill criteria for the purpose of skilled migration. We are currently going down this route so keep intouch and we can let each other know how its going.

Take care
Tracy