457 Visa - Skill advice needed please!

Old Jan 2nd 2015, 6:42 pm
Just Joined

morebeans is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy 457 Visa - Skill advice needed please!

I have lived in Australia for 2 years on a Working Holiday visa. I am now back in the UK, trying to organise a 457 visa with my previous employer (garden centre, working as a nursery person/gardener on the consolidated sponsored occupation list). I just have a couple issues that I can't seem to find the answers for.

1. The ANZSCO definites the skills needed as

''AQF Certificate III including at least two years of on-the-job training, or AQF Certificate IV (ANZSCO Skill Level 3)''

I don't have 2 years on the job training. I have a UK certificate 2 in Horticulture. How does a UK certificate 2 relate to an AQF certificate 3 ? Or an AQF certificate 5 ?

2. How strict are the skill definitions? As a gardener, I have previous experience I can't really prove...

3. I have other qualifications (BA degree, foundation degree, several A-levels ect), although they aren't in Horticulture, do they still apply?

4. And does it play in my favour that I previously worked for the employer? They initially hired me because I was the most skilled resume handed in. Could I argue that as I have worked for them for 6 months, I am more trained (than an Australian) to work for them?

Sorry for the super long post!
Old Jan 2nd 2015, 10:37 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 457 Visa - Skill advice needed please!

Hi and welcome to the forum

If you check out the info on the DIBP site - Temporary Work (Skilled) visa (subclass 457) - you should find that you do not need a skills assessment but you do need to show that you have the skills and experience to do the job. The fact that you have done the job with the employer may help, as will the qualification you have (not sure how a cert 2 equates) but it doesn't look clear cut. Anything you can do to prove prior experience will probably help.

If this doesn't work out, you can always try to get further quals within the UK for a later application.