Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

457 visa, how early can we enter aaarrgghh!!

457 visa, how early can we enter aaarrgghh!!

Old Sep 27th 2011, 6:33 am
Forum Regular

walshy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 457 visa, how early can we enter aaarrgghh!!

Hi guys

we are having real issues here, my wife has a job offer for a 457 visa, the employer either wants her to start in the 3rd week in october or 10th jan.

We have told them that for a family with cars to sell, house to ship etc that 3rd week in october is unrealistic, so happy to craack on with 10th jan.

We thought we could get on with the application , arrive in November with time to settle the kids in school etc, have a relaxed xmas and start 10th jan.

But no, they tell us that with the 457 visa they cannot lodge the application earliest until first week in December, they anticipate having an answer by 10th December, so we then have about 8 days to organise our whole lives before everything shuts down before xmas , have a xmas in an empty house then arrive in Perth when eveything is closed and my wife start work before the kids have even had a look at schools.

I have looked everywhere on here but cant see if there is a stipulated time you are allowed in the country before you commence the job you have the 457 visa for? Surely they expect familys to need a month to settle first?

Any other time of year, 2 weeks would be enough, but with the xmas / new year shut down it is a real issue

cheers guys
Old Sep 27th 2011, 8:10 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 457 visa, how early can we enter aaarrgghh!!

Originally Posted by walshy
Hi guys

we are having real issues here, my wife has a job offer for a 457 visa, the employer either wants her to start in the 3rd week in october or 10th jan.

We have told them that for a family with cars to sell, house to ship etc that 3rd week in october is unrealistic, so happy to craack on with 10th jan.

We thought we could get on with the application , arrive in November with time to settle the kids in school etc, have a relaxed xmas and start 10th jan.

But no, they tell us that with the 457 visa they cannot lodge the application earliest until first week in December, they anticipate having an answer by 10th December, so we then have about 8 days to organise our whole lives before everything shuts down before xmas , have a xmas in an empty house then arrive in Perth when eveything is closed and my wife start work before the kids have even had a look at schools.

I have looked everywhere on here but cant see if there is a stipulated time you are allowed in the country before you commence the job you have the 457 visa for? Surely they expect familys to need a month to settle first?

Any other time of year, 2 weeks would be enough, but with the xmas / new year shut down it is a real issue

cheers guys
There is nothing to stop you getting evisitor tourist visas and coming over for a holiday first, as long as you tell DIAC. And although you probably can't tell you employer this in so many words, they are talking through their hats. The 457 application could go in now, and be granted with loads of time to spare. there are people on here grsnted 457s months ahead of the start date.
Also they ard being unrealistic saying it will be granted within a week. A few are, but many take longer. Neither they nor anyone else can predict DIACs timing like that.
Old Sep 27th 2011, 8:56 am
Forum Regular

walshy is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks, thought as much
Old Sep 27th 2011, 1:34 pm
Just Joined

Cynical Scot is an unknown quantity at this point

Walshy,

I'm relocating through my current employer and they started the 457 Visa application in late August with an expectation of me arriving 'sometime in November'! It doesn't sound as if your employer is playing straight with you

Regards
Old Sep 27th 2011, 8:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cynical Scot
Walshy,

I'm relocating through my current employer and they started the 457 Visa application in late August with an expectation of me arriving 'sometime in November'! It doesn't sound as if your employer is playing straight with you

Regards
Well to give them the benefit of doubt, perhaps they just don't understand the process.

I think that they are very optimistic about processing times, getting a visa before the earlier start date of third week in October would be very challenging. I would definitely be applying now for a January start date.
Old Sep 28th 2011, 12:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

The Druid is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Pollyana
There is nothing to stop you getting evisitor tourist visas and coming over for a holiday first, as long as you tell DIAC. And although you probably can't tell you employer this in so many words, they are talking through their hats. The 457 application could go in now, and be granted with loads of time to spare. there are people on here grsnted 457s months ahead of the start date.
Also they ard being unrealistic saying it will be granted within a week. A few are, but many take longer. Neither they nor anyone else can predict DIACs timing like that.
I really need to leave the UK by the end of November, my Aussie employer has submitted the nomination for a 457 and is waiting for it to be approved, only then can I apply for the visa, Aqis has changed the quarantine rules and my dog will have to go in quarantine for 6 months if we arrive after 1st January, could we leave the UK end of November and arrive in Aus on tourists visas, and wait for visa to be issued before starting work etc, would we be able to ship dog, car & furniture without a visa?
Old Sep 28th 2011, 7:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Druid
I really need to leave the UK by the end of November, my Aussie employer has submitted the nomination for a 457 and is waiting for it to be approved, only then can I apply for the visa, Aqis has changed the quarantine rules and my dog will have to go in quarantine for 6 months if we arrive after 1st January, could we leave the UK end of November and arrive in Aus on tourists visas, and wait for visa to be issued before starting work etc, would we be able to ship dog, car & furniture without a visa?
I understand the need to ship dog before 1st Jan, but what is the relevance of November?

You won't be able to ship furniture without a visa, you will not be able to ship your car at all even if you have a 457 visa and I am not sure about the dog, but I think he might be ok, people do export dogs.
Old Sep 28th 2011, 7:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

The Druid is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
I understand the need to ship dog before 1st Jan, but what is the relevance of November?

You won't be able to ship furniture without a visa, you will not be able to ship your car at all even if you have a 457 visa and I am not sure about the dog, but I think he might be ok, people do export dogs.
I have been working abroad and for tax purposes I am non resident, I have 180 days to leave the country which expires end of November, I have applied for a permit for my car, you can get a permit on a 457 as it is a visa which leads to a PR visa, the company is going to start the process for a 856 ENS visa the day I start work, the only reason for the 457 is the 121 ENS takes so long to process, well I just hope the 457 nomination approval comes through soon, if all else fails, could we enter Aus on a tourist visa, then ship the furniture and the car when the 457 comes through
Old Sep 28th 2011, 7:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I have been working abroad and for tax purposes I am non resident, I have 180 days to leave the country which expires end of November, I have applied for a permit for my car, you can get a permit on a 457 as it is a visa which leads to a PR visa, the company is going to start the process for a 856 ENS visa the day I start work, the only reason for the 457 is the 121 ENS takes so long to process, well I just hope the 457 nomination approval comes through soon, if all else fails, could we enter Aus on a tourist visa, then ship the furniture and the car when the 457 comes through
I always thought you need a permanent visa to ship a car, you also need to have had and been regularly driving the car for at least the previous 6 months which would be tight?

The 457 does not lead to a PR visa, it is a temporary visa and always will be. That some people proceed to apply for a PR visa is a completely separate process and does not mean that the 457 leads to PR.
Old Sep 29th 2011, 12:22 pm
Just Joined

The_Hallsters is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi
My wife also has a job offer but there is a slight holdup in releasing the TRN number to apply for the 457 due to someone being off sick apparently. the employer has a lot of experience with 457 and say they can fast-track the visa to 'a few days'. We are starting to get nervous for the following reasons:

23 Oct Plan to ship household furniture
01 Nov House to be rented out
01 Nov Flights to Singapore
14 Nov Flights Singapore to Brisbane
21 Nov Est start date of Job
01 Jan Est arrival of shipping to bonded warehouse

We still have to book the removal company and the flights. Do you normally not book the flights until you have the visa in your passport? Could we still get the 457 if we arrived in Australia on a holiday type visa, having informed DIAC first?
Old Sep 29th 2011, 2:02 pm
Just Joined

Cynical Scot is an unknown quantity at this point

Druid,

If you mean that you are "UK Non-resident for Tax Purposes" because you have been working outwith the UK, as soon as you stop working and return to the UK you will be deemed to be "Resident for Tax Purposes" regardless of the number of days you stay in country.

You will still be entitled to your UK Allowances and if your not working will probably not have any tax liability. What you need to be aware of though is that if you wanted to regain the "Non-resident" status you'd need to do the 'full tax year' out of UK (which if your going to Auz you should manage easily!).

The "Non-resident" rules are out for consultancy at the moment but the proposal are on the HMRC web site should it interest you.

SC
Old Sep 29th 2011, 2:33 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The_Hallsters
Hi
My wife also has a job offer but there is a slight holdup in releasing the TRN number to apply for the 457 due to someone being off sick apparently. the employer has a lot of experience with 457 and say they can fast-track the visa to 'a few days'. We are starting to get nervous for the following reasons:

We still have to book the removal company and the flights. Do you normally not book the flights until you have the visa in your passport? Could we still get the 457 if we arrived in Australia on a holiday type visa, having informed DIAC first?
The only "fast tracking" will be if the employer is familiar with 457 so submits everything correctly straight off, that way DIAC won't need to ask for more info. There is no actual "fast track" once your application is actually submitted.
Old Sep 29th 2011, 11:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

man_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to behold

Actually I doubt DIAC would allow that.

http://www.immi.gov.au/gateways/agen...7-visitors.pdf
Old Sep 30th 2011, 4:23 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The_Hallsters
Hi

What are you going to do if the visa is declined?
Old Sep 30th 2011, 4:59 am
The Mango King

Antney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
I always thought you need a permanent visa to ship a car, you also need to have had and been regularly driving the car for at least the previous 6 months which would be tight?

The 457 does not lead to a PR visa, it is a temporary visa and always will be. That some people proceed to apply for a PR visa is a completely separate process and does not mean that the 457 leads to PR.
You need to have owned the car for 12 months before trying to import it into Australia.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.