Wikiposts

457 Visa - earliest date for PR?

Old Sep 25th 2011, 4:17 pm

newjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 457 Visa - earliest date for PR?

Originally Posted by paddyo
You can apply for PR after 2 years on a 457 if you were unable to originally get the ENS PR Visa. The 2 years is there to confirm your time/knowledge in the role and is a way of bypassing some of the other PR requirements.
You bypass the skills assessment, that's all.
Old Sep 25th 2011, 7:58 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
Or just look for an employer who will sponsor for PR straight away - they are out there and you don't need to have a 457 first. But you might need to be more flexible on your location.
Very few hospitals will sponsor for PR straight off though; most of them are saying they want the nurses to prove their commitment first. Not saying there aren't any but having spent many hours on the subject lately I can assure you its one field in which PR sponsorship is very hard to find unless you are on a 457 first.
Old Sep 26th 2011, 6:17 am
Account Closed

trevorandjo york is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bix
Have you double checked the points?

The list I'm looking at says 15 points lost when aged over 45.

Have you also considered the IELTS which is worth up to 20 points?
Sorry, typo, lose 15, gain 5. She acheived 8.5 across the piste and that gets 20 pts.

Now you have me a little worried, Are we exempted the whole points game or just those for age, it would be of little help to be just exempt the age points, we still need to hit 60 pts! I would have thought it was exempt the whole points system to keep skilled workers here who have settled.

Please let me know.
Old Sep 26th 2011, 6:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by trevorandjo york
Sorry, typo, lose 15, gain 5. She acheived 8.5 across the piste and that gets 20 pts.

Now you have me a little worried, Are we exempted the whole points game or just those for age, it would be of little help to be just exempt the age points, we still need to hit 60 pts! I would have thought it was exempt the whole points system to keep skilled workers here who have settled.

Please let me know.
Points are relevant to skilled migration visas. However if you are thinking of the permanent employer sponsored visa then it is not required to pass a points test.

Does your wife have enough points for skilled migration now? If so then nothing to stop her applying for that alongside the 457 application. Or she could just hope that the employer is willing to sponsor for PR now or down the line.

BTW workers are not supposed to settle on a 457, it is a temporary visa and designed to fill temporary shortages.
Old Sep 26th 2011, 7:38 am
Account Closed

Thanks for the information. It seems that my wife will fall through the cracks when it comes to meeting the criteria for PR. She is 45 in Jan, loses the 5 points if she applies after this, only has 4 years experience, will get 5 points back once she has 5 years experience. Does not have Degree, though qualified enough to get Oz Nurse registration, seems she can work on a 457 visa and has registration in Oz, but, she will never become eligable for PR, can't get citizenship when on a 457. Seems she will only ever be a temporary worker, any exceptions to this?

This should test you guru out there!
Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
Points are relevant to skilled migration visas. However if you are thinking of the permanent employer sponsored visa then it is not required to pass a points test.

Does your wife have enough points for skilled migration now? If so then nothing to stop her applying for that alongside the 457 application. Or she could just hope that the employer is willing to sponsor for PR now or down the line.

BTW workers are not supposed to settle on a 457, it is a temporary visa and designed to fill temporary shortages.
You are clearly not following the thread. No, she does not get to 60 pts.

Though she can work on 457, them another poster states that she can apply for PR through employer and ask for exemption on a ENS 121/856 visa. see link http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/skill...ligibility.htm

What i am now wanting to know is: With this route, is the whole points system avoided?

Last edited by Pollyana; Sep 26th 2011 at 8:06 am. Reason: fixing quote
Old Sep 26th 2011, 8:04 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Though she can work on 457, them another poster states that she can apply for PR through employer and ask for exemption on a ENS 121/856 visa. see link http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/skill...ligibility.htm

What i am now wanting to know is: With this route, is the whole points system avoided?
Bermudashorts has answered that. Points are relevant to skilled migration visas - such as 175. However if you are thinking of the permanent employer sponsored visa (ENS - 121/856) then she is not required to pass a points test.

By the way, having just read one of your other threads, I feel bound to let you know that if you decide on Australia rather than Canada then you cannot bring your pet rabbit.

Last edited by Pollyana; Sep 26th 2011 at 8:08 am.
Old Sep 26th 2011, 8:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Clearly not following the thread? I didn't know I was legally obliged to read an entire thread before posting my free advice, must be a new rule.

If you read my post I have clearly answered your question about points and employer sponsored visas.

Some politeness towards people trying to help you really wouldn't go amiss.
Old Sep 26th 2011, 8:15 am
Account Closed

Thanks, i knew about the rabbit in Oz. Thanks for clarifying the point on Visas, it seems it is 457, 2 years, apply for PR on 121 through Employer, points are not important - Citizenship after 4 years in country, assuming we have PR, Ben the Rabbit lives in UK! He is 9, I suspect he wont make the winter....
Old Sep 26th 2011, 8:17 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
Clearly not following the thread? I didn't know I was legally obliged to read an entire thread before posting my free advice, must be a new rule.

If you read my post I have clearly answered your question about points and employer sponsored visas.

Some politeness towards people trying to help you really wouldn't go amiss.
Thanks for helping...
Old Sep 26th 2011, 3:03 pm
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

cheeky sod....when someone helps try not to castigate them..it doesn't bode well for the time you want Meets Ups!!
Old Sep 26th 2011, 4:32 pm
The Mango King

Antney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Bix
Have you double checked the points?

The list I'm looking at says 15 points lost when aged over 45.

Have you also considered the IELTS which is worth up to 20 points?
An ENS PR Visa such as a 121 or 856 is not points assessed, it is sponsored and based on you meeting certain criteria to be eligible for the visa.
Old Sep 26th 2011, 5:26 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Antney
An ENS PR Visa such as a 121 or 856 is not points assessed, it is sponsored and based on you meeting certain criteria to be eligible for the visa.
I know.
So is the 119/857 RSMS

I don't know why you are quoting me.
Old Sep 27th 2011, 7:28 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Antney
Very grateful, thanks.
Old Sep 30th 2011, 2:15 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Very few hospitals will sponsor for PR straight off though; most of them are saying they want the nurses to prove their commitment first.
Prove their commitment first? And no commitment in return from an employer that expects someone to uproot and move to the other side of the world with no security or assurance of being able to remain in Australia if the job does not work out. My standing advice to anyone dealing with that kind of employer is to think hard about the risks and if it's not a good idea for them, say No and move on to look for somewhere better to work.

Last edited by JAJ; Sep 30th 2011 at 2:18 pm.
Old Sep 30th 2011, 7:40 pm
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by JAJ
Prove their commitment first? And no commitment in return from an employer that expects someone to uproot and move to the other side of the world with no security or assurance of being able to remain in Australia if the job does not work out. My standing advice to anyone dealing with that kind of employer is to think hard about the risks and if it's not a good idea for them, say No and move on to look for somewhere better to work.
I'm with you JAJ, but trust me having personally spent a couple of years on this subject it does seem that a hospital sponsoring a nurse for PR straight off is as rare as hens teeth, and unlike other professions if people hold out for sponsored PR from the outset they may well be disappointed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.