457 Visa - earliest date for PR?

Old Sep 25th 2011, 4:10 pm
Account Closed

trevorandjo york is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 457 Visa - earliest date for PR?

I have looked at the wiki site - very useful. However, my wife has been offered a job in nursing and has been advised to travel on a 457 vias that will be arranged for her (with minimal input or expense). We have a daughter who will go to University in 3 years time, I understand with a 457 visa she would be classed as an overseas student, that would cost us big style, when can we apply for PR for Oz, citizenship and can we do this while on a 457 visa?

thanks.

PS. I want to go to Canada, but like a dutyful husband, I will do what I am told if it benefits the family.
Old Sep 25th 2011, 4:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

The Druid is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 457 Visa - earliest date for PR?

Originally Posted by trevorandjo york
I have looked at the wiki site - very useful. However, my wife has been offered a job in nursing and has been advised to travel on a 457 vias that will be arranged for her (with minimal input or expense). We have a daughter who will go to University in 3 years time, I understand with a 457 visa she would be classed as an overseas student, that would cost us big style, when can we apply for PR for Oz, citizenship and can we do this while on a 457 visa?

thanks.

PS. I want to go to Canada, but like a dutyful husband, I will do what I am told if it benefits the family.
You can apply for PR Visa the day you land if you qualify and your employer is willing to sponsor you again, the biggest reason for the 457 visa is speed of getting you in the country

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/skilled-workers/ens/
Old Sep 25th 2011, 4:33 pm
Account Closed

Thanks, tha part answers my questions. How about UNI fees? When can we get citizenship if we stick to 457 route. Is it 3 or 4 years?

Thanks again.
Old Sep 25th 2011, 4:45 pm
Account Closed

I followed the link, very good. But, how long would it take to get PR from application, to passports being altered. A bit broad i know, are we talking 3 months or 3 years?

thanks.
Old Sep 25th 2011, 5:09 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, tha part answers my questions. How about UNI fees? When can we get citizenship if we stick to 457 route. Is it 3 or 4 years?

Thanks again.
You cannot get citizenship from a 457. You have to get PR first. Timeline for that varies from a few weeks to a few months, depending on a lot of things including whether it is sponsored or independent PR.

Then once you are a citizen you apply for an Aus passport - you can keep your UK one, you don't get it altered, Aus passports are a completely different thing from UK ones.

More info on citizenship here - http://www.citizenship.gov.au/ but as you haven't even got the 457 yet you are looking at 4 years + so I wouldn't worry about it yet.
Old Sep 25th 2011, 5:56 pm
Account Closed

Thanks for the information. It seems that my wife will fall through the cracks when it comes to meeting the criteria for PR. She is 45 in Jan, loses the 5 points if she applies after this, only has 4 years experience, will get 5 points back once she has 5 years experience. Does not have Degree, though qualified enough to get Oz Nurse registration, seems she can work on a 457 visa and has registration in Oz, but, she will never become eligable for PR, can't get citizenship when on a 457. Seems she will only ever be a temporary worker, any exceptions to this?

This should test you guru out there!
Old Sep 25th 2011, 6:05 pm
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the information. It seems that my wife will fall through the cracks when it comes to meeting the criteria for PR. She is 45 in Jan, loses the 5 points if she applies after this, only has 4 years experience, will get 5 points back once she has 5 years experience. Does not have Degree, though qualified enough to get Oz Nurse registration, seems she can work on a 457 visa and has registration in Oz, but, she will never become eligable for PR, can't get citizenship when on a 457. Seems she will only ever be a temporary worker, any exceptions to this?

If she a nurse and coming sponsored on a 457, then she should ask the sponsor if they will also sponsor for PR, on an ENS visa (121/856).

Many nurses arrive in Aus on 457s then after a few months to a year their employers will sponsor for PR, with an exemption for age as the profession is much in demand. Have a read of http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/skill...ligibility.htm and do a search for the 856 visa on here. There are also threads in the Nursing forum worth reading.
Old Sep 25th 2011, 6:34 pm
Account Closed

Brilliant link....it is all there. We had been told this information, but, you have to check to make sure we are not being lead down a very nasty path. Thank you, you are a credit to this site. Keep up the good work.
Old Sep 25th 2011, 6:38 pm
Home and Happy

Brilliant link....it is all there. We had been told this information, but, you have to check to make sure we are not being lead down a very nasty path. Thank you, you are a credit to this site. Keep up the good work.
No probs Lots of nurses have used this route as hospitals usually won't sponsor for PR straight off; I also know people personally using this route to PR, and have discussed it with an agent. If the hospital sponsoring for 457 won't sponsor for PR then she can always apply for a 457 with a different employer and ask them for sponsorship instead
Old Sep 25th 2011, 10:50 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

The Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme (RSMS) visa 119 / 857 is also a possibility if you live in a regional area.
http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/skilled-workers/rsms/

Regional area is as defined by Immigration.....
http://www.immi.gov.au/employers/rsms_postcodes.htm
Old Sep 25th 2011, 11:33 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Lots of nurses have used this route as hospitals usually won't sponsor for PR straight off; I also know people personally using this route to PR, and have discussed it with an agent. If the hospital sponsoring for 457 won't sponsor for PR then she can always apply for a 457 with a different employer and ask them for sponsorship instead
Or just look for an employer who will sponsor for PR straight away - they are out there and you don't need to have a 457 first. But you might need to be more flexible on your location.
Old Sep 25th 2011, 11:55 pm
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

You can apply for PR after 2 years on a 457 if you were unable to originally get the ENS PR Visa. The 2 years is there to confirm your time/knowledge in the role and is a way of bypassing some of the other PR requirements.
Old Sep 26th 2011, 12:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paddyo
You can apply for PR after 2 years on a 457 if you were unable to originally get the ENS PR Visa. The 2 years is there to confirm your time/knowledge in the role and is a way of bypassing some of the other PR requirements.
If employer agrees to sponsor that is..
Old Sep 26th 2011, 1:15 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
If employer agrees to sponsor that is..
quite right!
Old Sep 26th 2011, 2:16 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Have you double checked the points?

The list I'm looking at says 15 points lost when aged over 45.

Have you also considered the IELTS which is worth up to 20 points?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.