457 - transfer to new employer - 'ELP!

Old Nov 19th 2009, 7:19 am
Forum Regular

sharonm5 will become famous soon enoughsharonm5 will become famous soon enough
Default 457 - transfer to new employer - 'ELP!

Hello all,

Well I know the feeling of applying for a 457 the first time, luckily for me it wet through at record speed when I was in the Uk, awaiting to pack my things up and come to Aus. But for my sins I have decided its time to go through it all again!

Now I am in Aus (YAY!), and after a few headhunters approached me, I have accepted a new offer with a new company. Issue is, that I cant transfer my visa, as conditions apparently are if you hold a visa prior to the change in law, you still have to re-apply.

So some questions:

Is the above true about still having to re-apply?
Any idea how long this would take if you in Oz...

aaarrgghhhh!
Old Nov 20th 2009, 3:13 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 457 - transfer to new employer - 'ELP!

Professional assistance may well be needed.
Old Nov 20th 2009, 3:57 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sharonm5
Hello all,

Well I know the feeling of applying for a 457 the first time, luckily for me it wet through at record speed when I was in the Uk, awaiting to pack my things up and come to Aus. But for my sins I have decided its time to go through it all again!

Now I am in Aus (YAY!), and after a few headhunters approached me, I have accepted a new offer with a new company. Issue is, that I cant transfer my visa, as conditions apparently are if you hold a visa prior to the change in law, you still have to re-apply.

So some questions:

Is the above true about still having to re-apply?
Any idea how long this would take if you in Oz...

aaarrgghhhh!
How long it'll take depends on whether the employer is already approved, whether you need a medical etc, where you are in Aus, and a million other things.
If the new sponsor doesn't already have an agent you an speak to, then I'd have a look through here and pick one to talk to
Old Nov 21st 2009, 7:41 am
Forum Regular

hi, thanks for the responses. New company is listed, and have an agent to deal with, who has submitted application... I suppose it is just a waiting game now... I will let you all know how it goes, and the process, times etc.

Old Nov 25th 2009, 7:49 am
Forum Regular

just to let you know, visa has just been granted...!!!
Old Nov 25th 2009, 8:53 am
Just Joined

mei1987 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

If you don't mind me asking (and I don't even know if I'm allowed to ask such a thing) what industry are you in?

I've been trying to look for an employer sponsored job since January 09 (I'm an engineer), and although I've a few positive responses but the companies won't go through the hassle of applying a 457 visa for me.

So, if it's alright, do you mind sharing with me, which company sponsored you into Australia? Or what should I do? Or am I doing it wrong? (I apply mostly via Seek.com.au)

If not, congratulations to you Reading success stories on BE can be inspiring after receiving so many rejection emails.

All the best!
Old Nov 25th 2009, 8:51 pm
Forum Regular

hi mei, I am in construction, send me a private message... I wont be sharing the company on a website I am afraid.

Are you already in Aus or not? Which engineering discipline are you in? I can point you to a few places, but going to need some more info from you

Originally Posted by mei1987
Hi,

If you don't mind me asking (and I don't even know if I'm allowed to ask such a thing) what industry are you in?

I've been trying to look for an employer sponsored job since January 09 (I'm an engineer), and although I've a few positive responses but the companies won't go through the hassle of applying a 457 visa for me.

So, if it's alright, do you mind sharing with me, which company sponsored you into Australia? Or what should I do? Or am I doing it wrong? (I apply mostly via Seek.com.au)

If not, congratulations to you Reading success stories on BE can be inspiring after receiving so many rejection emails.

All the best!