457 sponsorship changing employers...

Old Dec 28th 2008, 11:53 pm
Forum Regular

clairemoir has a brilliant futureclairemoir has a brilliant futureclairemoir has a brilliant futureclairemoir has a brilliant futureclairemoir has a brilliant futureclairemoir has a brilliant futureclairemoir has a brilliant futureclairemoir has a brilliant future
Default 457 sponsorship changing employers...

Hi All,

I have been offered a new job subject to the new employer taking over my 457 visa; ( been here 5 months ) has anyone changed jobs whilst on 457? Is this easy to do? The new employer are happy to go ahead but have no prior experience? and I have tried ringing immigration but they seem to think today is a public holiday?
Old Dec 29th 2008, 12:58 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 457 sponsorship changing employers...

Originally Posted by clairemoir
Hi All,

I have been offered a new job subject to the new employer taking over my 457 visa; ( been here 5 months ) has anyone changed jobs whilst on 457? Is this easy to do? The new employer are happy to go ahead but have no prior experience? and I have tried ringing immigration but they seem to think today is a public holiday?
Your new employer can't just "take over" your 457. They would have to sponsor you, same as your current employer did. Take a read of www.immi.gov.au for what is involved.
Old Dec 29th 2008, 1:17 am
Forum Regular

clairemoir has a brilliant futureclairemoir has a brilliant futureclairemoir has a brilliant futureclairemoir has a brilliant futureclairemoir has a brilliant futureclairemoir has a brilliant futureclairemoir has a brilliant futureclairemoir has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Your new employer can't just "take over" your 457. They would have to sponsor you, same as your current employer did. Take a read of www.immi.gov.au for what is involved.
Thanks Dorothy, have already done this and printed out relevant inforamtion for the new employers - although cannot move forward until immigration office is open again; I really wanted to find out if any one had done this and could offer any useful tips / pitfalls to be aware of?
Old Dec 29th 2008, 8:30 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Hi All,

Many govt depts are closed today, its an extra "Public service holiday" in some States.
Old Jan 2nd 2009, 10:21 pm
Just Joined

accccjr is just really niceaccccjr is just really niceaccccjr is just really niceaccccjr is just really niceaccccjr is just really niceaccccjr is just really niceaccccjr is just really niceaccccjr is just really nice

Thanks Dorothy, have already done this and printed out relevant inforamtion for the new employers - although cannot move forward until immigration office is open again; I really wanted to find out if any one had done this and could offer any useful tips / pitfalls to be aware of?
I just did. I transferred to my new sponsor/employer last dec15, 2008. Procedure is very easy specially if your new employer is already an approved sponsor. Ask them. Most of the jobs like sponsorship, visa application, etc. are your new employers responsibilities. You only need to provide your new employer all the papers the immigration will ask them. Actually, if you already have signed a job contract with your new employer, the last thing that you need to do is resign and give your present employer at least 7 day notice if you are in NSW. I don't know about how long would be the notice for other states. You can ask your new employer on this too. Wait for your new visa before you resign.. My new 457 visa was released in just 4 days without a medical exam.

Since your new employer has no previous sponsorship experience, tell them to get the services of an experienced/registered migration agent.

Last edited by accccjr; Jan 2nd 2009 at 10:26 pm. Reason: add details
Old Jan 3rd 2009, 7:41 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by accccjr
I just did. I transferred to my new sponsor/employer last dec15, 2008. Procedure is very easy specially if your new employer is already an approved sponsor. Ask them. Most of the jobs like sponsorship, visa application, etc. are your new employers responsibilities. You only need to provide your new employer all the papers the immigration will ask them. Actually, if you already have signed a job contract with your new employer, the last thing that you need to do is resign and give your present employer at least 7 day notice if you are in NSW. I don't know about how long would be the notice for other states. You can ask your new employer on this too. Wait for your new visa before you resign.. My new 457 visa was released in just 4 days without a medical exam.

Since your new employer has no previous sponsorship experience, tell them to get the services of an experienced/registered migration agent.
Thank you so much that really helps! i am goign in to see new people monday lunch. Thanks!