457 and Permanent Residency

Old May 15th 2008, 1:51 pm
Forum Regular

Kursha is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 457 and Permanent Residency

I am currently applying for a 457 visa as I am being sponsored by a nursing agency. I am newly qualified so do not meet requirements for a permanent visa just yet. Once in Oz on the 457, is it possible to apply for a permament visa and if so how long would I have to wait? Any ideas?
Old May 16th 2008, 3:44 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 457 and Permanent Residency

Originally Posted by Kursha
I am currently applying for a 457 visa as I am being sponsored by a nursing agency. I am newly qualified so do not meet requirements for a permanent visa just yet. Once in Oz on the 457, is it possible to apply for a permament visa and if so how long would I have to wait? Any ideas?
Some 457 holders are eligible for permanent residence straight away, others are never eligible.

Depends on circumstances.

You could get a regional employer sponsored migration visa, RSMS, as there is no work experience required for this visa. DIAC may also consider waiving the work experience for ENS employer migration visas for a nurse.

Are you sure you have fully looked into the permanent visa options you may have?
Old May 16th 2008, 3:15 pm
Forum Regular

I have looked into all permanent options as I have two young children and would really like to go on a permanent visa for security reasons (ie health costs) but I am finding that the nursing agencies are only offering to sponsor me on a 457 visa. I have thought about the RSMS but was told that this visa is harder to obtain than the 457. I do not really want to risk being turned down once I apply.
Old May 16th 2008, 11:02 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

I have looked into all permanent options as I have two young children and would really like to go on a permanent visa for security reasons (ie health costs) but I am finding that the nursing agencies are only offering to sponsor me on a 457 visa. I have thought about the RSMS but was told that this visa is harder to obtain than the 457. I do not really want to risk being turned down once I apply.
Agencies usually don't sponsor for permanent residence. Have you thought of approaching hospitals directly, especially in some of the smaller cities?

RSMS is not more difficult to obtain than a 457.
Old May 17th 2008, 5:59 am
BE Forum Addict

pumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond repute

Can I just ask? In what situations would a 457 never be elegable for PR?
Thanks
Old May 17th 2008, 2:59 pm
JAJ
Retired

Originally Posted by pumpkin blossom
Can I just ask? In what situations would a 457 never be elegable for PR?
Thanks
There are many reasons but common scenarios are:

1. Employer refuses to sponsor.

2. The 457 visa holder is fired or made redundant before PR is granted.

3. There is a problem with the 45 age bar (can be waived only in certain circumstances).

4. One member of the family becomes sick and then the health requirements are failed.

Sometimes in cases 1 and 2 there is eligibility for an independent or state sponsored visa, but often this is not the case.
Old May 17th 2008, 3:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

stumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nice

Originally Posted by JAJ
There are many reasons but common scenarios are:

1. Employer refuses to sponsor.

2. The 457 visa holder is fired or made redundant before PR is granted.

3. There is a problem with the 45 age bar (can be waived only in certain circumstances).

4. One member of the family becomes sick and then the health requirements are failed.

Sometimes in cases 1 and 2 there is eligibility for an independent or state sponsored visa, but often this is not the case.
Does someone hoping to find a RSMS sponsor have to be under 45?

Old May 17th 2008, 4:18 pm
JAJ
Retired

Originally Posted by stumpysean
Does someone hoping to find a RSMS sponsor have to be under 45?
The 45 age bar applies to RSMS too, although if you read booklet 5 it also discusses the circumstances in which age waiver might be possible.
Old May 17th 2008, 4:31 pm
Forum Regular

Also could anybody tell me if I do come out on a 457 visa would I have to pay school fees for Western Australia?
Old May 17th 2008, 11:21 pm
Just Joined

coolozzie is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JAJ
The 45 age bar applies to RSMS too, although if you read booklet 5 it also discusses the circumstances in which age waiver might be possible.
hello,

sorry to jump in here, But my plan is as follows:
I am going to be going over on a 457 employer sponsorship (already have a sponsor) as I am not eligable for skills migration due to my occupation not being on the MODL, to add to this I am at the ripe old age of 44. So you see my options are very limited.
So once I get over to OZ my better half will jump on to a college course in relation to an occupation on the MODL and the rest is happy days as they say.

I hope!!!
Old May 18th 2008, 4:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Also could anybody tell me if I do come out on a 457 visa would I have to pay school fees for Western Australia?
Not for WA no, you wouldnt. NSW and ACT both charge so avoid them!
Old May 18th 2008, 1:44 pm
JAJ
Retired

Originally Posted by coolozzie
hello,

sorry to jump in here, But my plan is as follows:
I am going to be going over on a 457 employer sponsorship (already have a sponsor) as I am not eligable for skills migration due to my occupation not being on the MODL, to add to this I am at the ripe old age of 44. So you see my options are very limited.
Have you checked your eligibility for a permanent employer nominated migration visa?

Details are in booklet 5. You need to be focused more on the ENS-SOL rather than the MODL.

If outside the four largest cities, RSMS may also be an option.

But be warned - if you wait until after 45 it gets harder, even if you are on a 457 at the time (DIAC won't care about that).

So once I get over to OZ my better half will jump on to a college course in relation to an occupation on the MODL and the rest is happy days as they say

That's not nearly as straightforward as you seem to think it is.
Old May 18th 2008, 6:20 pm
where is my gold ticket!!

michell is a name known to allmichell is a name known to allmichell is a name known to allmichell is a name known to allmichell is a name known to allmichell is a name known to allmichell is a name known to allmichell is a name known to allmichell is a name known to allmichell is a name known to allmichell is a name known to all

hi all
we are going on a 457, we are heading for sydney, (job offer) hubby's employer has agreed they will help in the ENS visa after 1 yr as we cannot apply for the RSMS in sydney, if we could go for the RSMS then we would but unfortunately its not an option for us.

michell
Old May 18th 2008, 9:44 pm
Just Joined

coolozzie is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JAJ
Have you checked your eligibility for a permanent employer nominated migration visa?

Details are in booklet 5. You need to be focused more on the ENS-SOL rather than the MODL.

If outside the four largest cities, RSMS may also be an option.

But be warned - if you wait until after 45 it gets harder, even if you are on a 457 at the time (DIAC won't care about that).

That's not nearly as straightforward as you seem to think it is.

Thanks for the info JAJ, unfortunately my occupation is not on the SOL either.

I know it's extremely hard to get PR after 45 but am banking on my missus to come up trumps on this one.

Can you please enlighten me why this would not be straight forward. As I thought since I will be working full time she can study full time and cross over to applying for the relevant PR route at the right time.

I do know this is a risk but either way I've gotta try, if it dont work out then at least I know I can sleep peacefully knowing I tried rather than wondering what it would have been like.
Old May 19th 2008, 1:38 am
JAJ
Retired

Originally Posted by michell
hi all
we are going on a 457, we are heading for sydney, (job offer) hubby's employer has agreed they will help in the ENS visa after 1 yr as we cannot apply for the RSMS in sydney, if we could go for the RSMS then we would but unfortunately its not an option for us.

Why won't the employer sponsor for ENS straight away?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.