457 and the missus....

Old Dec 2nd 2007, 7:43 am
Forum Regular

Billy_NoMates is just really niceBilly_NoMates is just really niceBilly_NoMates is just really niceBilly_NoMates is just really niceBilly_NoMates is just really niceBilly_NoMates is just really niceBilly_NoMates is just really niceBilly_NoMates is just really niceBilly_NoMates is just really nice
Default 457 and the missus....

Just after any information anyone might have.

I was offered a job in Oz way back in May. I filled out a 136 Skilled migration visa with the missus as the secondary applicant. On finding out it would take a couple of light years to get our visa that way the company sponsored me. That's great, I'm sponsored until 2011. However, as the 457 happened so quickly, we couldn't risk the missus applying for a visa and having to wait another umpteen weeks/months for some sort of visa. So...she came over on an ETA. 3 months is nearly up and we're looking at a tourist visa for 12 months. That again is OKish but we've been told she will not get an extension after 12 months. So basically she has 12 months until she has to leave.

My question is...

What avenues do we have to enable her to stay in the country while I'm here? The company won't sponsor her as she isn't working for them. I was thinking of resigning and getting them to re-sponsor me and her but not quite sure if that would work.

So does anyone have any experience in this situation or have any suggestions for us.

Cheers a million,.....
Old Dec 2nd 2007, 8:40 am
Forum Regular

Location: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia. Thats down and to the right from UK.
znaylor1974 is a name known to allznaylor1974 is a name known to allznaylor1974 is a name known to allznaylor1974 is a name known to allznaylor1974 is a name known to allznaylor1974 is a name known to allznaylor1974 is a name known to allznaylor1974 is a name known to allznaylor1974 is a name known to allznaylor1974 is a name known to allznaylor1974 is a name known to all
Default Re: 457 and the missus....

Originally Posted by Pollyana
As far as I know she should have been put on your 457 as your spouse and come over that way. Why did the company not include her on your 457 application?
That's my understanding too - my missus and kid were put on the 457 too. Sounds like you need some professional advice urgently.

Hope it works out.
Old Dec 2nd 2007, 8:49 am
Forum Regular

Billy_NoMates is just really niceBilly_NoMates is just really niceBilly_NoMates is just really niceBilly_NoMates is just really niceBilly_NoMates is just really niceBilly_NoMates is just really niceBilly_NoMates is just really niceBilly_NoMates is just really niceBilly_NoMates is just really nice

Originally Posted by znaylor1974
That's my understanding too - my missus and kid were put on the 457 too. Sounds like you need some professional advice urgently.

Hope it works out.
I don't know why she wasn't put on the 457 to begin with. It's just now the company won't/can't so we're stuck. We're going to make an appointment with immigration to see what our options are. Just wondered if you guys knew anything so we could take that with us. I was thinking maybe a 457 is a temporary 'permanent residence' and I could sponsor her. There will be a way, just need to find it.
Old Dec 2nd 2007, 9:47 am
Reg. Migration Agent

George Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
No, you can't sponsor her. You may need the advice of an agent to find the way round this, as she really should have been included in the first place.
Hi Polly,

Billy just needs to get the company to agree to her being included on the 457 and then she applies for a 457. I think you can even do it online these days.

Cheers,

George Lombard
Old Dec 2nd 2007, 9:55 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by George Lombard
Hi Polly,

Billy just needs to get the company to agree to her being included on the 457 and then she applies for a 457. I think you can even do it online these days.

Cheers,

George Lombard
Can they do that retrospectively though?
]I've had the 457 since mid Oct. I have asked for a 457 for her but they said no as she isn't working for the company.

Can they now say she should have been included on the original 457? The company has since changed its policy on spouses so they are included.
Old Dec 2nd 2007, 9:59 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Polly,

Cheers,

George Lombard
Sounds good to me, wasn't sure whether they could do that but it seems the perfect answer. Thanks George
Old Dec 2nd 2007, 10:03 am
Reg. Migration Agent

George Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Billy_NoMates
Can they do that retrospectively though?
]I've had the 457 since mid Oct. I have asked for a 457 for her but they said no as she isn't working for the company.

Can they now say she should have been included on the original 457? The company has since changed its policy on spouses so they are included.
Billy,

If the company won't sponsor spouses then get another sponsor or ditch the spouse.

If they will allow her to be with you now and included in their 457 obligations then they should figure out how to do that and let you know. The picture you're painting isn't exactly of a model employer.

Speaking of less than model employers, there's a famous story in the UN about an official who's being posted to Liberia or some other god forsaken place and he says to the HR guy "what about my wife" to which the HR guy says "not my problem, I'm not married to her".

So count your blessings or change something :-)

Cheers,

George Lombard
Old Dec 2nd 2007, 10:26 am
Forum Regular

Billy,

If the company won't sponsor spouses then get another sponsor or ditch the spouse.

If they will allow her to be with you now and included in their 457 obligations then they should figure out how to do that and let you know. The picture you're painting isn't exactly of a model employer.

Speaking of less than model employers, there's a famous story in the UN about an official who's being posted to Liberia or some other god forsaken place and he says to the HR guy "what about my wife" to which the HR guy says "not my problem, I'm not married to her".

So count your blessings or change something :-)

Cheers,

George Lombard
Thanks for the info George. They are a very flexible company and have bent over backwards for us apart from this oversight. A friend went for a similar job as me but a different company. He said '457 will get me started as soon as possible'. They basically said NO WAY. I don't see what is wrong with giving her a 457 as she would have been on my 457 and hence the company would have had the same obligations. The only other thing is the missus wants to work and a 457 wouldn't give her the right to work. She just wants a temporary visa until we get our 136 PR visa.
Old Dec 2nd 2007, 10:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Gems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond repute

Your wife can work if you are on a 457 visa. I know several families who are on this visa and the wife works. One who only got here a couple of weeks ago start work about 2 weeks after arrival.

A wife/partner and kids can be included on this visa. My hubby got the 457 and we were all added on the application.

GEMS
Old Dec 2nd 2007, 10:50 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Gems
My hubby got the 457 and we were all added on the application.
That's good to know. But our downfall is that she wasn't included on the original applicaton. An oversight by all parties.
Old Dec 2nd 2007, 2:45 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

J
I was offered a job in Oz way back in May. I filled out a 136 Skilled migration visa with the missus as the secondary applicant. On finding out it would take a couple of light years to get our visa that way

Where did you get that information from?
Old Dec 2nd 2007, 6:40 pm
Reg. Migration Agent

Thanks for the info George. They are a very flexible company and have bent over backwards for us apart from this oversight. A friend went for a similar job as me but a different company. He said '457 will get me started as soon as possible'. They basically said NO WAY. I don't see what is wrong with giving her a 457 as she would have been on my 457 and hence the company would have had the same obligations. The only other thing is the missus wants to work and a 457 wouldn't give her the right to work. She just wants a temporary visa until we get our 136 PR visa.
Hi Billy,

I'd be talking to an agent if the employer won't help immediately. There's too much misinformation in your posts.

Cheers,

George Lombard
Old Dec 2nd 2007, 8:46 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by JAJ
Where did you get that information from?
I rang the Adelaide Skills Processing Centre in August to find out how long it takes. The woman told me 6 months minimum and usually about 12 months to grant a visa, even with a job offer. That's from the time they start processing it, doesn't include the wait for acknowledgement etc. At that point (about 9/8/07ish) they were 17 weeks behind with receipting documents.
Old Dec 2nd 2007, 8:49 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Billy,

I'd be talking to an agent if the employer won't help immediately. There's too much misinformation in your posts.

Cheers,

George Lombard
Thanks again George. It's difficult to say what happened etc concisely and clearly in a forum. Going to immigration today.
Old Dec 2nd 2007, 8:50 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

I rang the Adelaide Skills Processing Centre in August to find out how long it takes. The woman told me 6 months minimum and usually about 12 months to grant a visa, even with a job offer.
And you define that as "a couple of light years?"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.