457 and health insurance

Old Sep 15th 2009, 8:58 am
Forum Regular

Jamie-Blue is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 457 and health insurance

I had my 457 approved a while ago which was to be granted on the 5th October. Overnight i have recieved an emal saying that new rules have come into force relating to health insurance. It states i need to provide a letter from an insurer, then it also states i can provide Meicare proof that i have enrolled if i have a reciprocal agreement.( being from the U.K i apparently have)

So im lost i was told i had to enrol with medicare when i arrive so how can i provide the diac with proof i am lawfully registered with Medicare?

So do i just go and subscribe with a health insurer and hope they forward me a letter in time for the 28 period i have to provide it or what???? help!!!!!!
Old Sep 15th 2009, 11:51 am
Forum Regular

darrio is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: 457 and health insurance

My understanding (from when I was on a 457) is 457 visa holders must have health insurance, which is a requirement independant of the reciprocal agreement with the UK. They don't want to have 457 holders relying on that agreement and costing $$$.
Old Sep 15th 2009, 12:00 pm
Forum Regular

1968_karen is a jewel in the rough1968_karen is a jewel in the rough1968_karen is a jewel in the rough1968_karen is a jewel in the rough1968_karen is a jewel in the rough

Hi

We have another thread running on this subject (I have copied and pasted below, so I hope it works for you).

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=630553

The rules have changed since 14 September 2009. Because of the Reciprocal Agreement we are now covered on Medicare and do not require further healthcare arrangements or cover to be made. However, my concern is the same as yours - I believe we cant enrol on Medicare before we enter Oz but your CO will want you to prove that you have healthcare cover!

Karen
Old Sep 15th 2009, 1:15 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for that...looks like i will on the phone tonight to my C.O and explain that im eligle for the medicare agreement but cant sort it until i land..ive just checked my work contract and it states the same regarding medicare
Old Sep 15th 2009, 1:38 pm
Banned

CrystalBall is just really niceCrystalBall is just really niceCrystalBall is just really niceCrystalBall is just really niceCrystalBall is just really niceCrystalBall is just really niceCrystalBall is just really niceCrystalBall is just really nice

The new health requirement requires you to have complying Health Insurance OR be registered with Medicare.

You are not actually compliant just because you are from the UK and there is a reciprical health arrangement in place. You MUST apply for the medicare card.

Once you apply Medicare will give you a number and a temp card and will send you a proper card in the mail.

The Temp Number should be enough to satisfy the requirement.

cheers
Old Sep 15th 2009, 1:59 pm
Forum Regular

Thats what i meant about sorting the medicare card when i arrive in Australia, but i have been informed taht i can only do this when in Australia, so can i apply whilst in the U.k
Old Sep 15th 2009, 2:10 pm
Banned

CrystalBall is just really niceCrystalBall is just really niceCrystalBall is just really niceCrystalBall is just really niceCrystalBall is just really niceCrystalBall is just really niceCrystalBall is just really niceCrystalBall is just really nice

according to the Medicare Website, you need a passport and visa (which could well be electronic) and apply at your local medicare office.

There is a section in the Policy Manual which suggests Reciprical Health Care countries may need to come here on some insurance policy and then apply for a refund of the unused portion once they get granted their card.

I'll call Medicare in the morning and see what the situation is, The Health Insurance requirement has practical difficulties in its implementation. I'll post again in the morning, if I get a response....
Old Sep 15th 2009, 9:24 pm
Just Joined

jamba is an unknown quantity at this point

This is confusing. My agent has just told me that the COs dont know whats happening and also medicare staff are not sure about this ruling as well.
Old Sep 15th 2009, 10:56 pm
Forum Regular

Yep Medicare staff have no idea and have not been informed by diac!! ive just spoken to someone at Medicare who has stated that there is not a facility to sort out reciprocal agreement prior to landing and the only way is to go in person to a medicare office
Old Sep 15th 2009, 11:35 pm
Banned

I've also just rung Medicare, you cant get it before you arrive....

Overall the 457 changes are very good for both sponsors and applicants but its a massive change, there are over 300 pages of updates to the legislation and policy (not light reading either) and the department is still training staff and getting the infrastructure in place.

I think it will be go slow for processing for the next week, but after that it should improve.
Old Sep 16th 2009, 8:04 am
Forum Regular

kml123 is just really nicekml123 is just really nicekml123 is just really nicekml123 is just really nicekml123 is just really nicekml123 is just really nicekml123 is just really nicekml123 is just really nicekml123 is just really nice

Just a suggestion, maybe travel insurance would cover you for the interim, which is not too expensive
Old Sep 16th 2009, 9:10 am
Just Joined

jsmithjsmith is an unknown quantity at this point

You could maybe also just sign up to health insurance and get your certificate pay monthly and once you arrive just cancel it and sign up to medicare!
Not sure if this would work though?
Old Sep 16th 2009, 9:53 am
Just Joined

jamba is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jsmithjsmith
You could maybe also just sign up to health insurance and get your certificate pay monthly and once you arrive just cancel it and sign up to medicare!
Not sure if this would work though?

I think that this would work as they want everyone to sign up for private health insurance. They are not accepting medicare on its own.
Old Sep 16th 2009, 10:39 am
Just Joined

jsmithjsmith is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jamba
I think that this would work as they want everyone to sign up for private health insurance. They are not accepting medicare on its own.
I have been informed by the immigration department that they would accept just medicare, as I will be applying from australia so I already hold a medicare card.
I will be applying next week so I guess I will find out soon enough otherwise I will just sign up to hbf or medibank or which ever is cheapest!!!
Old Sep 16th 2009, 10:54 am
Forum Regular

Diac will accept Medicare however due to the fact you cannot register for this until you are in the country then they insist you have cover for when you arrive. I spoke with my C.O last night and she said as someone mentioned, that all is required, is cover for when you arrive and that she would be happy with one months cover.

This will be sufficient for the visa requirements, individuals can then apply for medicare if they are eligible.

I have gained sufficient insurance for one month, however did find some insurers in Australia very bloody minded, i wont say who. I opted for medicare as they were the ones that assured me i would recieve the required documentation via email for me to forward to the Diac, and they did! They were also fully aware of the new "rules" for the 457 visa and have policies specifically to meet these requirements.

My case officer has admitted it is all somewhat up in the air at the moment and they are aware that those with the reciprocal agreement will have issues with this, however they just want to know you have comparative insurance when you land.

Importantly i found my C.O very helpful and patient and she responded very quickly to assure me that the cover i had obtained met the requirements.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.