417 Visa

Old Dec 12th 2013, 1:48 am
Just Joined

Jezza101 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 417 Visa

Hi

I came to Australia on a partner visa which is coming up to two years now and I was thinking of bringing my son over when he finishes university in England.

I don't think I can sponsor him in on a family visa until I am a resident in my own right but I wondered if he could come over on a 417 - working holiday visa - as he is under 30. But then would he be able to convert that visa to a family visa at some later date?

I was concerned about the lead time on a visa and wanted to get the process started so he can come over in July when he finishes

Has anyone done anything similar and what is the best way to proceed?
Old Dec 12th 2013, 6:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 417 Visa

You should have put him on your partner visa application as a dependent, him being in full time education might have made this possible. I am not sure that you can add him on now however.

So perhaps your OH could sponsor him on a child visa on the grounds of him still being in full time education, assuming you support him. I wouldn't do anything before speaking to an agent though in your circumstances.

Certainly if you wait until he finished university and / or he gets a 417 visa, then this would probably eliminate any chance you have of getting him out on a visa and he would then need to get here under his own stream.