Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

405 and 103 - both at once? Also FIRB question.

405 and 103 - both at once? Also FIRB question.

Old Aug 28th 2011, 11:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

James516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud of
Default 405 and 103 - both at once? Also FIRB question.

I imagine my in-laws can't do this, but I can't find express instructions to the contrary, so here goes:

My wife's parents wish to live in Australia for significant periods of time, i.e several months each year. They pass the balance of family test etc and are both in their 60's and in reasonable health. They have the financial assets available for the 405 retiree visa, but of course that is a 4-year temporary visa and if their health deteriorates it might not get renewed. Are they able to apply for a 103 (non-contributory) parent visa and while that application is being processed (i.e. 10-12 years) get a series of 405 visas?

On a similar note, can they live in Oz on a 405 if they have an ongoing contributory 143 application outstanding?

They could of course come on over on a 651/676/679 tourist visa for six months at a time while their 103 or 143 is being processed I imagine, but the difficulty is that they'd like to buy a house over here to live in whilst they are visiting, and I understand FIRB rules would prevent that on these visas (thye don't want to buy a new-build with the Oz property market on the way down). I'm pretty sure they avoid FIRB problems on a 405 as the visa is granted for longer than 12 months.

TL;DR - Can you apply for two visas at the same time? Am I right that you can't buy a property on a tourist visa?
Old Aug 29th 2011, 12:31 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 405 and 103 - both at once? Also FIRB question.

Originally Posted by James516
I imagine my in-laws can't do this, but I can't find express instructions to the contrary, so here goes:

My wife's parents wish to live in Australia for significant periods of time, i.e several months each year. They pass the balance of family test etc and are both in their 60's and in reasonable health. They have the financial assets available for the 405 retiree visa, but of course that is a 4-year temporary visa and if their health deteriorates it might not get renewed. Are they able to apply for a 103 (non-contributory) parent visa and while that application is being processed (i.e. 10-12 years) get a series of 405 visas?

On a similar note, can they live in Oz on a 405 if they have an ongoing contributory 143 application outstanding?

They could of course come on over on a 651/676/679 tourist visa for six months at a time while their 103 or 143 is being processed I imagine, but the difficulty is that they'd like to buy a house over here to live in whilst they are visiting, and I understand FIRB rules would prevent that on these visas (thye don't want to buy a new-build with the Oz property market on the way down). I'm pretty sure they avoid FIRB problems on a 405 as the visa is granted for longer than 12 months.

TL;DR - Can you apply for two visas at the same time? Am I right that you can't buy a property on a tourist visa?
They can not 'live' in Australia without a residency visa.

The contributory parent visa only takes a couple of years at most
Old Aug 29th 2011, 9:46 am
BE Forum Addict

rammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 405 and 103 - both at once? Also FIRB question.

I cannot see any reason why they cannot buy property now. We bought as UK residents and non visa holders with FIRB approval. Then (2007) we had to build from scratch and not buy a second hand home. We rent this house out.

They could therefore build a holiday home and use tourist visas to stay there for several months of the year. They would not have any work rights though.